Help to fix broken handle on Jackson/SKB case for my Shannon Soloist. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to fix broken handle on Jackson/SKB case for my Shannon Soloist. :(

Sad day. I went to lift my Shannon Soloist nestled in its original hardshell SKB case (closest model number I could trace: SKB IMC-11) and the case's handle snapped at the pivot points, sending my case (and guitar) crashing to the carpeted floor. I stood stunned in silence with my jaw on the floor until I regained my composure, opened the case, and inspected the guitar, relieved to find no guitar damage.

This is only my second dropped guitar in my 17 years of guitar ownership. I take pride in caring for my stuff, so I'm still in disbelief that this happened.

How do I go about fixing this handle?

Thanks.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-06-2017, 05:06 PM.

Ouch! Good to hear that the guitar survived though! I'm however surprised that it doesn't happen more often, since the handles seem like one of the weak points. Haven't had it happen to my cases yet (knock on wood..), but sooner or later I'm sure it will.

Looks like it would be a good idea to find/make a replacement instead of trying to fix the original handle though...
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Remove the metal pins, drill 2 holes at the ends of the handle and insert a tiny bolt with a nut?
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Contact SKB and see if they can scrounge up some parts. It's an older style case, so they may not have parts anymore. But something similar happened to me on one of the newer style Jackson cases, and they were fairly accommodating.

Unfortunately, the case still did not seem totally right, and I didn't want to risk another drop. So I ordered a custom G&G to replace it. If you're unsuccessful with SKB, just go directly to getting a G&G.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. I actually e-mailed SKB through their website the day after the accident happened. Their auto-responder message on their website says to expect a response within two business days. It's been TWO WEEKS. I've e-mailed them again. Failing that, I will call them.

I actually have a spare unused USA Fender case from SKB that has an identical handle. I might cannibalize that handle if SKB is unresponsive, never tells me about where I can obtain the correct replacement part, or if they don't offer to send me the correct handle themselves.

Seems pretty easy to replace.

Mudlark's DIY method is very appealing too. I'll keep you guys updated with photos if I can.

Comment

Looks like Penn Fabrication handle to me. There are similar looking new handles for sale on Ebay. I would check those.

Comment

Thanks. Penn Fabrication? I just looked them up on Google Images and eBay; I apologize, but are you certain? Because a stereotypical Penn Fabrication handle looks like the below image, with a thin and rectangular look with exposed metal. Whereas, SKB handles are thicker and look more like luggage handles.

Comment

Penn calls those handles briefcase handles.

http://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?PN=0326&LG=EN

Comment

^That one is within a millimeter here and there of being identical to my 2008 Jackson hard case handle.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks Kisonen! I don't know why I didn't see that one before during my searches yesterday. That is much closer to the SKB style! I'll investigate and keep you guys updated.

Comment

SKB sent me a new handle for zero cost.

Unfortunately the handle is too short and is attached to angled mounting brackets. Hopefully they can send me a longer handle with straight mounts next.

The funny thing is that I had sent them the first image below when submitting my inquiry so that they would know the length of the correct handle to send me. Oh well.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 10-06-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

SKB ended up sending me a second replacement handle, this time the correct one with the proper length and straight mounts.

Unfortunately, upon slightly peeling back the foam insert in the case, I noticed the handle was attached to the frame with rivets, not with screws as seen in the video I shared in post #5 above. Since this was beyond my expertise, I turned to SKB who recommended using a rivet tool or having a local luggage repair shop do the work. I opted for the latter choice, and it only cost CAD$20 to have my beloved case back to the way it was.

Can't thank SKB enough.

As seen on the Accessories page of the Jackson website (https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/accessories), I also recently purchased a used SKB 2996100506 Jackson Soloist / Dinky Case in excellent condition for CAD$60, and it perfectly fits not only my Soloist, but most of my other superstrats with various headstocks since there is plenty of room in the headstock cavern of the case. It temporarily housed my Soloist while the original case was at the luggage repair shop.

In many ways it is superior to the SKB IMC-11-style case that originally came with this Soloist, including a sturdier handle, but I'm quite attached to the original case and like to match cases to guitars where possible, so I certainly wanted to keep extending its life for as long as I can.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-26-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Glad it all worked out and I too am particular about original cases.

Comment

Working...
                          X