Gigging with imports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigging with imports

Gary, the SL3 and RR5 have always had real Duncans in them, at least to my knowledge. My biggest beef with the SL3's and SL4's is that they have garbage trems on them (same as a low TRS II, different badging. Are you paying attention Ibanez bashers? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). For the money they are charging for them, they should have Shallers or OFR's.

No Ibanez guitars are definitely not crap... This whole argument is silly anyway. If you're a good guitar player you should be able to make any guitar sound good, regardless of who makes it or what it's made out of.

[ December 29, 2002, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: khabibissell ]

Comment

sorry Steve. Just reread your original post, where you stated that all the imports EXCEPT the neckthrus need better pickups. My bad. First day back at work and all the damned work is distracting me from my JCF-ing and impacting my comprehension skills. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Nope, that's a USA Kelly that Larry Tarnowski plays.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

oh. someone told me it a MIJ.guess they were wrong

Comment

No sweat Gary... My comprehension skills are ALWAYS off! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

IMO ibanez is crap. yes they play good, yes they have a good feel but its the construction & sound that i dont like. I dont like how most ibanez's especially the more expensive ones have a neck pocket that only holds the side of the neck. I know the JS & sabers models do have full neck pockets. to me ibanez has a very generic feel even there high end stuff IMO LACKS tone. i tried one of the high end quilt top bolt on USA series its wasnt that bad till i looked at the $1000+ price tag. for that kinda cash ide go get a SanDimas soloist or an early neckthru USA Rich which IMO is far superiour in every way to ibancrap.

BTW in my old band the other guitar player had a JEM the nice one with the vine inlays & my parts MUTT played & sounded better

Comment

Ibanez lack tone? [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

What's wrong with their neck pockets? It's way more comfortable without the huge heel that most bolt ons have. Most Ibanezes(RG 500 series + and all Prestige models I believe, INCLUDING the JS series, the JS100 I believe does not, however, because it is a lower end guitar like the 555) have that same shape. They stopped doing the regular shape about 10 years ago and started doing the all access thing.

Also, there were many Jem models made. All of them high quality guitars except for the Jem 555 which is more aimed towards beginner players who can't afford a real Jem.

...and Yes, The models that Steve Vai plays are like the Production models with the exception of some of the bridges. The Jem 7VWH Steve has been seen most with(named EVO) is like any other Jem except for the Edge trem which is more like an Original Floyd Rose type bridge. The reason for that is because when the prototype was made there was no Lo Pro Edge trem at the time, I believe. Plus Steve has to constantly replace parts due to his guitar abuse and the abuse from touring.

Ibanez guitars are definatley NOT crap! PERIOD! [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Steve:
                  1st of all I'll be the one who says that the parker fly sucks ! and # 2 any Jackson import is better than any other brands usa stuff and I have yet to have any one prove me wrong and trust me many have tryed and failed , but then again I live for the Jackson imports
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Parkers suck AND ANY Jackson Import plays better than ANY other brands USA stuff? [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Those are some of the funniest statements I've heard in a while! Thanks for the humor bro! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] So a Jackson JS-1 will play better than my USA Carvins, BC Rich's, and GMW's?!?! Dude, you've been smokin to much crack! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

What is this, an Ibenhad forum?
                    Gee I thought this was the Jackson Charvel Forum!

[img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] Word! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Vai has to have parts replaced on his touring guitars. Hmmm. Does anyone know if Mustaine or Friedman ever had to have parts on their Jacksons replaced? I know Dave was rough on his guitars, and he doesn't wang a whammy like Vai, but if the parts are that cheap, why not have OFRs put on his Ibenhad?

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                        Vai has to have parts replaced on his touring guitars. Hmmm. Does anyone know if Mustaine or Friedman ever had to have parts on their Jacksons replaced? I know Dave was rough on his guitars, and he doesn't wang a whammy like Vai, but if the parts are that cheap, why not have OFRs put on his Ibenhad?

Newc
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Comon guys, get serious. Dave and Marty rarely, if EVER used Floyds or Floyd type bridges. They used string-thrus or the Kahler APM bridges. Vai abuses his tremolos like few guys do. It doesn't matter if you have an OFR or an Edge or Lo-Pro Edge, if you pick up the guitar by just the bar and do the whammy tricks that Vai does; eventually ANY tremolo will need to be replaced. Quit the Ibanez bashing and grow up. It's merely another equipment choice that players make based on what feels and sounds and plays good to THEM. To each his own.

[ December 30, 2002, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: jem777az ]

Comment

Ya, stop bashing Ibeenhad.

They used to make very respectable copies of real guitars [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Now they do a good job at making lump buzcut sounds.

(Former Destroyer and Iceman owner)

Comment

In 20.5 years of playing guitar, I have NEVER broken a string on a guitar strung with 10-46 strings. I've only broken a few on 9-42 equipped guitars, for that matter. Now, if you get into those 8-36 strings, that's a different story. Like someone else said, your bandmate probably needs to check the saddles on his Parker.

I'll admit that Parkers are well-made guitars, but I can't stand 'em. Everything about them annoys me: (1) the action is always too high, (2) the frets are too small, (3) they have absolutely no bottom end to their sound, and (4) their trem doesn't stay in tune well enough for my purposes. But other than that, they're great... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And yes, Jackson imports, in general, rock. I've got two of 'em and I'd like to get more. I was about to buy a 750xl this weekend that had been for sale at a local guitar store for over a year. And guess what, when I finally get the money available, the guitar is gone! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Oh well, ya snooze ya lose...

I got a PODxt instead...and no POD jokes, please. I'm a home recordist who has no conceivable use for an Uberschall or similar!

Comment

In general, I find Ibanez guitars useful primarily for firewood, but the JEM and Universe guitars are exceptions to that rule. At least they used to be. I owned an early Universe a long time ago, and it was one of the best-sounding guitars I've ever had--it really sung. It also played very well. And all the early JEMs I've played were similarly drool-worthy. But I believe that Ibanez has not kept up its standard on the production JEMs and Universes--recent examples I've played haven't been that good, in my opinion. I've also never played a JS-1000 that I wanted to own. I'm sure that the instruments that Vai and Satriani get are a lot better, though.

Comment

now I am gonna change the subject : damnit I am gonna get a hondo collection loaded with emgs , and 3 samicks loaded with duncans , and I am gonna put real floyds on em all ! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X