Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To part out or to restore? That is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To part out or to restore? That is the question.

If you want to compare cars, thats cool. Keep in mind the most collectable versions of classic cars have matching numbers and are almost completely original. A '70 Chevelle with new sheetmetal and mismatched numbers is worth substantially less than a numbers matching, stock sheetmetal car. Most cars were pieced together to keep them on the road, those are the ones worth parting. Choice examples are worth more than their sum of parts. Modified guitars are on par with non-numbers matching cars.

[ April 20, 2004, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Keep in mind it is dependent on demand. Try comparing a cherry, numbers matching 1974 Trans Am to a cherry, numbers matching Pinto. It doesn't really matter how "nice" the Pinto is. The demand isn't there. As far as guitars, if you have an older, all original guitar, leave it alone. i.e. If you have a 1950's Fender or an early Jackson or ??, that is all original and not beat to hell....don't part it. Guitars are only original once. Just my $.02. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

who gives a shit about value, play the fuck outta them [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Which is why I said "Keep in mind the most collectable versions of classic cars have matching numbers and are almost completely original.". I am talking the most desireable cars are most valuable in unmolested condition. Many guitars are worth more than the sum of their parts. Try parting out a D'Angelico! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It is sad that to many people it boils down to how much money they get in the end, not what is best for the guitar. I believe in preserving guitars whenever possible.

Comment

That classic car thing reminds me... a guy named Drew Alcazar has an all original 11,000 mile '69 boss 429 Mustang in his dining room. It's 100% original right down to the tires from the day it drove off the showroom... Let's just say that it worth a whole truck-load of cash

Comment

My uncle knows a guy who bought a 63' split window vette, triple black, 4 spd and drove it from the dealership 6 miles to his house and parked it in his den. It is still there.

Comment

I never understood that mentality. What good does it do you having a showroom fresh 60s Mustang or Vette sitting in your house? It's certainly not the quickest way to make a profit. Plus, cars might be nice to look at, but the best thing about them, is driving them, hearing the rumble of the exhaust, and whatnot. In my opinion, that is a sad, sad, waste.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Absolutely!! That's what they're built for!! Otherwise what's the point of having it in the first place?
                  I could see keeping one in a museum but why buy it and do nothing with it... anyway, I digress.

Comment

On the profit side, those cars are perhaps the most desireable examples in the world as they have not been exposed to the elements.

Comment

Working...
                    X