JT580

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JT580

I use a JT580LP on my DK2 and my Charvel Traditional. I do all kinds of silly tricks like divebombs and sires and stuff like that. I rarely play through a whole song without some tremelo trick, and they stay in tune just fine. I actually prefer the arm to be loose so it swings around, and I've never considered that to be a problem. Before going broke, I owned several USA models, including an XTRR, which I abused constantly. In my humble opinion, and I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but with the exception of life-expectancy, I have noticed very little difference between the performance of the OFR and the newer JT580LPs. Granted, the OFR nuts are made a little better, but if you get a good JT580LP nut, there's no difference. The base-plates on the 580LPs are die-cast, and the OFRs are hardened steely, but that doesn't seem to make a difference in playing and performance, only in how long each will last. Obviously, the OFR is superior, but both are just fine bridges, and I wouldn't turn down a Jackson just because it has a JT580LP. It's probably one of the best (if not the best) OFR knock-offs out there. The Edge from Ibanez might be better, but those are quite expensive, too, from what I understand.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

I have Schaller Floyds [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] and I had a DK2 with the JT580 and I have to say, the JT580 was a decent trem, but the Schaller is much better all the way around, so I wouldn`t consider the JT580 the best Floyd knockoff around, but it is really good I thought [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I wouldn't really call the Schaller a knockoff. Schaller makes the OFR in the same factory in West Germany!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
          The ones with the square baseplate are called JT580LP '94. That's the only year they were used before the switch to the newer style baseplate.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cool, thanks for that info! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I didn`t know that [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] I am still learning and have a ways to go [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I had a JT580 on a japanese 1997 DX1, and it stayed in tune and performed very well until the wear on the knifeedges (and actually on the pivotposts as well) started to show after a couple of years. If you´re not planning on keeping the guitar for a long time the JT580 will do fine. These things turn bad way faster than an OFR.

Comment

depending, of course, on how much you yank on them, moderate use shouldnt be too harmful at all.

Comment

the tremolo keeps in tune great. Its just gets loose. I couldn't understand nor but if i put a washer inbetween the arm and the bit on the arm that screws into the bridge, will it not get loose? [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I am not even sure if a JT500 is replaceable for an OFR

Comment

The JT580LP is a cheap sheet metal piece of crap. I much prefer the JT590 or an original floyd.

Hell, I like the JT6 more than I like the JT580LP...

Just my opinion.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

According to my experience, the JT580/LP does the job very well, at least until you wear down the knife edges or there are other problems (as in my case: the trem posts come out! And I couldn't understand why it wouldn't stay in tune all of a sudden...). [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

I've used licensed Floyds before that were much much worse. I especially hate it when the fine tuners have a sloppy feel in them.

The trembar on mine is the opposite of all other JT580's it seems: Once it's in there, it's almost impossible to remove. Somehow it seizes up in there. I don't even need to tighten the collar - it stays in there regardless. This is something I really don't like, because I prefer to have a loose trembar that will swing out of the way when I'm not using it.

'bane

Comment

Quote: I have one guitar that has the JT500 trem and I have that same problem of the collar coming loose, which makes the bar loose. This is really annoying. Anybody have any suggestions on how to keep the collar tight?

As the JT500 is a direct copy of the Scaller Floyd II (JT 590), you can fit a Schaller Tremolo arm and threaded collar housing straight into the 500`s Baseplate. Same goes for all of the parts so you can gradually upgrade your system.
                          I also have to agree with Xenophobe, I find the 580`s a real nightmare. I`ve had many guitars with these trems (made by Takeuchi in Japan) come into my shop with Tuning problems and excesive knife edge ware. It`s increadibly difficult trying to find replacement Baseplates for these units especially here in England.

Comment

No, no Xeno, don't hold back, pls tell us how you really feel! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But yeah, OFR or Schaller are the way to go...

The best things about the OFR and Schaller is that they are built to last, and parts are universally available and will be in the forseeable future. You can get them from just about anywhere.

[ September 03, 2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Genebaby ]

Comment

*phew* I'm glad this came up again. I've been waiting for 10 months to see how this discussion would turn out [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Wow, it IS that old....I was wondering how I missed this thread up till now...you gotta love a thread that won't die....

Comment

Working...
                                X