New to Jacksons; Where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Jacksons; Where do I start?

So I have been playing guitar off and on (mostly off) for 25 or so years.
    I have always had a love for metal mostly the stuff i grew up with the 80s even "hair metal" or what people may not consider metal like Poison etc, I know... anyway.
    I grabbed a '91 Ibanez RG770 and like it but would like to get a Jackson or possibly a charvel.

I don't mind MIM I don't have a budget in mind (sub 1k if I had to name one), I would rather get something good/quality than go super cheap and be disappointed.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the J/C forum

I wouldn't go super cheap; If you can, just try to go for a good instrument
    In my opinion, the best answer to your question could come only from you
    Take a look also to the second hand market, I'd prefer a used USA Jackson in good condition rather than a new MIM.

The new MIM are good instruments, but, if you can, go in stores and try as much guitars as possible, only your hands and your ears will give you the best choice.
    You could discover what neck thickness or radius is best suited to you, or if you prefer a Duncan or a DiMarzio, a "classic" or a low profile bridge (assuming that you'll go for a tremolo-equipped guitar)...and so on.
    Just to give you an example: I'm not too crazy for the compound radius that is so fashionable in recent years, although I have some so.

If you are oriented for a bolt-on instrument....well, IMHO the RG is exceptional for ergonomics and playability
    (I think I'm in danger of being banned for what I have just wrote)
    Last edited by Luca1973; 03-01-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
      Welcome to the J/C forum

I wouldn't go super cheap; If you can, just try to go for a good instrument
      In my opinion, the best answer to your question could come only from you
      Take a look also to the second hand market, I'd prefer a used USA Jackson in good condition rather than a new MIM.

The new MIM are good instruments, but, if you can, go in stores and try as much guitars as possible, only your hands and your ears will give you the best choice.
      You could discover what neck thickness or radius is best suited to you, or if you prefer a Duncan or a DiMarzio, a "classic" or a low profile bridge (assuming that you'll go for a tremolo-equipped guitar)...and so on.
      Just to give you an example: I'm not too crazy for the compound radius that is so fashionable in recent years, although I have some so.

If you are oriented for a bolt-on instrument....well, IMHO the RG is exceptional for ergonomics and playability
      (I think I'm in danger of being banned for what I have just wrote)
      Yeah as usual the biggest thing is finding a place that carries enough different ones to try

Comment

Well, if you have a Guitar Center nearby, you can always order from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center Used Gallery and return them without having to pay return shipping. So you always have that.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          Well, if you have a Guitar Center nearby, you can always order from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center Used Gallery and return them without having to pay return shipping. So you always have that.
          Yeah, true there is one about an hour away

Comment

I should have also said, I am interested in finding out what to look for but more-so what to avoid

Comment

Well,... you start with one

...then the madness take over
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

That's a hard question to answer, "what to avoid" when it comes to Jacksons and Charvels. Great quality spans the gamut in these two brands, though the chance of stumbling on a "lemon" increases as you go down the price range.

You have a 1991 Ibanez RG770. Are you looking for guitars on par with that? Better than that? More affordable but still pretty great? Or the cheapest Jacksons/Charvels possible?

What do you like (or dislike) about the RG770 that you hope to find (or not find) in Jacksons/Charvels?

Hopefully your answers can point us in the right direction to point YOU in the right direction.

A warning though... as a deal hunter in my local and national (Canadian) classifieds, I pretty much recommend ANY guitar for the right price, haha. At the top of the range, I will look at any USA Jackson/Charvel under $1000. I would also not scoff at a potential Jackson JS Series (the most affordable range) under $100 if it plays well and has no issues. If the quality-to-price ratio is acceptable to me, I consider buying.

Comment

Are you opposed to used? I stick to USA or Japan Jacksons and Charvels. Can't go wrong with either of these. You could score a good used Model 6 for under $1K.

Comment

I prefer the Soloist or Dinky for their exceptional balance while standing.
                    Some, not all, pointy shapes can be neck heavy.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I am not opposed to around $1000 if it's a high quality guitar.
                      I like the 770 I just want a second "shredder" guitar and jackson/charvel have always been part of that scene.
                      I am not opposed to usa or japan if i know what to look for.

i am definitely leaning to the dinky or soloist.

Comment

I dont have a lot of experience with jacksons but i have been playing for a mere 7-8 yrs and have a small collection of guitars (not high-end stuff i might ad)
                        I bought a Dinky Dk2m MIJ last year and i am really pleased with it. It did not cost a lot of money, it suits my 80's style of playing really well, trem is simple to set up, it stays in tune perfectly and the duncans in it sounds good (at least in my ears)
                        Maybe a dinky would be something you'd like as well.

Thats my honest two cents.
                        Post a pic when or if you buy a J/C guitar
                        Last edited by Jaredio; 03-02-2018, 04:31 AM.

Comment

If you are leaning towards a superstrat like the Dinky or Soloist, and looking in the used market (for example, Craigslist), then you will likely find Japanese Dinkys being the most plentiful.

Japanese Dinkys were made between 1990 and 2011. Very good quality construction and fit-and-finish across the board, though features such as hardware choices, electronics/pickups, and cosmetic appointments varied from mid-range to high-end depending on the model and the era. There were dozens of Japanese Dinky models and variants. There will probably be a few models that have the combination of features that almost seem "tailored" to you.

Personally, I notice DK2 Dinkys and the MG Series Dinkys (DKMG, DKMGT, DXMG, DXMGT) from the 2000s decade are plentifully available on the used market. They can also be very inexpensive. For USD$1000, you can get three or four of them, if you're deal-hunting and and willing to wait for great deals on bang-for-the-buck Japanese Jacksons. While I personally have no issue with the Takeuchi JT580 tremolos on them, as an impartial owner of both Ibanez and Jackson guitars I admit that the Gotoh/Ibanez Edge trem on your Ibanez RG770 is difficult to beat.

Have a look through the old catalog scans on the Jackson website: https://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppo...hived-catalogs

Also have a look at Audiozone for some history and model databases: http://audiozone.dk/

While you haven't mentioned Charvel at all, some history and model databases can be found here: http://charvelusa.com/models.html

Comment

I think your 2 big decisions will be dinky or strat body. Top mounted floyd or recessed (or hardtail). Ill throw in 22 or 24 frets too. 24 frets, recessed trem, dinky body, mostly jackson has that covered in spades. Strat body, 22 frets, top mounted trem, mostly a charvel thing. Thats just a general thing as there are many combinations in both makes.

Comment

This one has caught my eye for some reason:
                              https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DK3NAT

Comment

Working...
                              X