No announcement yet.

RR1T....w/a FAT Neck....Since When??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have owned several early Rhoads....LOVE their necks....but the small frets not so much!!

Comment

My '90 Soloist PRO has a pretty fat neck, bigger than the Soloist XL! Then I hear of PRO soloists with razor thin necks... I hear there were two profiles these came in but was never able to verify it. Would make sense though.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

In general, yes, Custom Shop RR's have RR serial numbers but even the old Jackson site used to say there have been some that were stamped with U or J serial numbers. So its possible but rare. Most of my Rhoads' have fairly similar necks. The exceptions being the Concorde Relic, JCF-01 and the like which truly have bigger feeling neck. None of my Rhoads' have a Speed Neck as I'm not a big fan of that profile compared to the standard one.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by J_A / 540s View Post
          I've seen a small hanfull of large neck Jacksons. Soloist J0488 has a pretty huge neck. I've also owned a few early RR's with larger than typical necks. There are some out there
          I'm fairly certain that this is still the thickest neck that Jackson has ever made... I don't remember who here owns it now... but it makes LP necks feel skinny. This was a serious baseball bat.

The volute on a normal Jackson... lowers down to the back of the neck, this one, the volute had to raise up to meet the neck. It looked really weird, too bad I don't have a good picture depicting this...

EDIT: Oh, I did find one...

This guitar always felt like the headstock would snap off between the nut and the low E tuner... because the neck was so fat, it made the headstock feel really thin, even though it wasn't. You can't really see the "hump" going from the back of the neck down to the headstock. It was much more pronounced in-person.

The best picture I could find depicting this weirdness:

Last edited by xenophobe; 01-23-2014, 03:47 PM.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Damn. That is weird...in a nice way.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

It is the most stunning Solar I'd ever seen, to this date even. The top was almost an inch thick. The neck was over an inch thick. It sounded absolutely amazing. I could barely play it standing. It was a NAMM guitar. I just couldn't get past how thick the neck was. I think Archtop may have purchased it, I don't remember... It sold fairly cheap... I was buddies with the manager at my local GC... he sold it to me for what they paid. I think I sold it for $1450 shipped and I broke even on it.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

That thing is bad ass Xeno!!!!
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I had an 90 RR and it had a fairly large neck profile it was more round and had no D shape at all.
                  It was an oddball in that it was all maple and had a Kahler flat mount trem and RR prefix and double stamped.It had a faint J stamped over one of the R's.
                  Best I could figure out it may have been an older RR that just never got finished until 1990.
                  Everything about it felt like an 86 or 87.
                  Black with chrome hardware.
                  Last edited by straycat; 01-27-2014, 12:27 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Can anybody compare the JCF-01 profile w/a Jackson polka-dot V?? ....been a LONG time since I've played a Jackson polka-dot V but IIRC they had a bit bigger profile too??

Comment

Working...
                    X