RR1T....w/a FAT Neck....Since When??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1T....w/a FAT Neck....Since When??

So....several years ago while discussing Charvel/Jackson neck profiles a friend told me about an RR1T he owned that had a "big" neck...."huh" ?? says I....& assumed it was simply another case of - my idea of a "fat" neck is not quite what other folks idea of a "fat" neck is - happens alot!!

Then last week my adopted metal-head calls & says "there's a RR1T @ the GC near my school that you'd love....has a big neck"....now once again I'm thinking "huh" ?? ....while he does prefer wide/thin necks like most Charvel/Jackson nuts if anyody knows my preference for fat necks it's him so....gotta check this out!!

Visited this weekend & we grab lunch & head to GC...& sure as shit....a RRIT w/a "big" neck....not quite FAT like a JCF-01 but damn....black....string-thru....EMGs....fuck yes!!

Sorry for story-time w/Chuck.... ....question: did J/C make a run of RR1Ts w/a bigger neck profile?? ....or maybe a special run for a dealer?? ....or did the first RR1Ts have "big" necks?? Will Luke marry Laura?? Who shot JR??

My RR1T has a pretty much identical neck to the RR1 I had. 2008 vs 1998 respectively.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I thought that all USA Select RR's had the same profile as Soloists .790-.850? Unless they were custom shop models.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Can't be a Custom Shop w/a "U" serial #....correct??

& yeah I gotta get to my tech....or get a micrometer!!

Comment

There are always exceptions to the rule, right? Even back in the good old days. No reason why it's any different now.

Comment

It's a crap shoot. I have MIJ's around the 1990 time frame with thin shredder necks and fat ball bat necks. Try before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
              Can't be a Custom Shop w/a "U" serial #....correct??

& yeah I gotta get to my tech....or get a micrometer!!
              +1 I thought all Custom shops had a "J" serial designation as well.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                It's a crap shoot. I have MIJ's around the 1990 time frame with thin shredder necks and fat ball bat necks. Try before you buy.
                Agreed but I don't think MIJ's are applicable here considering it's got a "U" serial designation.

Comment

Rhoads necks have almost always been thicker than the standard speed neck profile, for the most part. There are exceptions, the RR2, imports and customs.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                    Rhoads necks have almost always been thicker than the standard speed neck profile, for the most part. There are exceptions, the RR2, imports and customs.
                    That's to be expected considering the "Speedneck" measures .775-.835 compared to the Rhoads which is .790-.850

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                      That's to be expected considering the "Speedneck" measures .775-.835 compared to the Rhoads which is .790-.850
                      In contrast to soloist necks, which are all over the map spec-wise, RR necks have always been fairly consistent.

I remember when Charvel imports first came out. My local shop got over a dozen in... I sat there and played every one of them... each one of them had slightly different neck backshapes. Back then every neck, both USA and Japan, were final shaped by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        In contrast to soloist necks, which are all over the map spec-wise, RR necks have always been fairly consistent.

I remember when Charvel imports first came out. My local shop got over a dozen in... I sat there and played every one of them... each one of them had slightly different neck backshapes. Back then every neck, both USA and Japan, were final shaped by hand.
                        According to everything I have read all USA Select soloists have the same exact measurements as USA Select Rhoads models. .790-.850. But that's just what Jackson says. It doesn't mean that's the way it is. I've held quite a few that were the exact same guitar spec wise and I could feel subtle differences.

Comment

When I moved to TN in 1989, the one local shop had a used RR of some sort (didn't know shit about Jacksons at the time, other than I wanted one ) and IIRC it had a fatass neck. Couldn't tell you if it was an early Pro or USA, or original SD, though. At the time I had a LP copy, so I had an idea of what a fat neck was. Years later when I got my JCF-01, it reminded me of that Rhoads.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                            According to everything I have read
                            I've owned many dozens of USA and CS Jacksons over the last couple of decades. Before USA Selects there is no differentiation between standard production and custom, neck specs and backshapes varied wildly...

There are at least 5 or 6 different standard types of neck backshapes that have been around... and by standard I mean that I've had on at least 2 or more other guitars. The Flat Spot D profile is probably the most popular and well known of them. My first experience with it was with a 83 Student Soloist... There still is no official name for this profile that started sometime near the beginning... was really popular by the builders in the mid-90's customs.

The necks were hand shaped to feel... the measurements they give were approximate. I'm fairly certain that since moving to Corona neck backshapes have been CNC'd... They feel more sterile than they used to. I dunno.

I don't have a huge amazing collection of important and historical Charvels and Jacksons, I stopped after I found my own personal holy grail. Most people CJ people don't even really know what they're looking at when they see this... I don't care. But I do like showing it off every once in a while.

Last edited by xenophobe; 01-23-2014, 05:01 AM.

Comment

I've seen a small hanfull of large neck Jacksons. Soloist J0488 has a pretty huge neck. I've also owned a few early RR's with larger than typical necks. There are some out there
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Working...
                              X