Eerie Swirl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eerie Swirl

Even though it wasn't what I was looking for, I just picked up a used Jackson at what I consider to be a great price, even after I add in the $100 to have a good setup done to it.

I have two questions:

1. What model is it. MIJ 9848841. Bolt-on. Active HH.
    Or will that be answered when the shop rips it apart?

2. What qualifies as an Eerie Swirl finish. This thing has the swirl, but it is so dark with such a little difference in the color of the swirl, that you almost can't see the swirl unless you are right on top of it and in the light. I actually edited the color of the photo because I couldn't get anything to show naturally. Its like a dark blue with dark blue swirl. Unedited, all the pictures make it look black.

The serial suggests 2010-11.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Cobalt blue swirl?
      Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
      Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Looks like a DKMG in Cobalt Blue Swirl to me... Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Spawn View Post
          Looks like a DKMG in Cobalt Blue Swirl to me... Congrats!
          /concur

Comment

Yes, i Google'd cobalt blue swirl. That is most likely what it is. I never paid attention to finish names, so i didn't know the swirl was categorized into colors. Only ever heard of eerie dess swirl.

Comment

The ones I've seen are:

cobalt blue swirl, eerie dess swirl, crimson red swirl, silver swirl, absinthe green swirl

They all look pretty cool. I'm partial to eerie dess swirl and crimson red swirl, myself.

Comment

Nice guitar and a nice color but $100.00 for a set up?
                I hope they oil the board and polish the frets ,check the electronics and clean it up for that price.
                I would feel raped at that price.
                Did you ask what is included in the set up? Oh and I hope they included strings in that price too.
                Did they ask you how you wanted the action set? That should be the techs first question.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  ... but $100.00 for a set up?
                  Its not usually this expensive because I don't normally bring guitars that are in that condition. I bought this one used from some kid that didn't know what he had, didn't know how to play. He blocked/dropped the trem, everything knocked out of shape. It really needs work.
                  After this 'initial' setup, it won't cost as much. But yes, everything you mentioned is always part of it, he even changes the batteries for me.

The guy I go to is good. I drive 25 miles for him, in a direction into a town that I have no other business being in. He is literally 18 miles from anything else I would be doing.
                  20 miles in the other direction is local for me, but in his direction... its like sailing the ocean before Columbus, if you go too far you will fall off the edge of the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Nice guitar and a nice color but $100.00 for a set up?
                    I hope they oil the board and polish the frets ,check the electronics and clean it up for that price.
                    I would feel raped at that price.
                    Did you ask what is included in the set up? Oh and I hope they included strings in that price too.
                    Did they ask you how you wanted the action set? That should be the techs first question.
                    +1 Stray. Straycat is right about the set up price. That's an insane amount of cash for a set up. The most I've ever paid for a set up is $40.00 and that's with strings included. Either way nice score and Happy New Guitar Day!!!
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I had a friend who paid $170 for a setup and a new football jackplate installed on a chinese knockoff Kramer EVH white/black striped. That's what I called getting raped. I told him he could've bought a new EVH knockoff from china for that price...

Comment

If you guys want to come to the market I am in and find me one of those $25 setup men, be my guest. But he better be good.

Unfortunately, when there isn't a high volume to keep prices low (like Wal-Mart), then you don't get to find cheap services. I used to get my strings changed in Nashville for $5. It took 10 minutes, but there was usually a few guys ahead of you. It could have been as much as an hour wait. So much volume, that they had an employee who's only job was to change strings and a 2nd employee who's job was to check in and out the customers who wanted their strings changed.

Contrasted with what you find around here. I charged just $35 to change strings (I raised it from $25). I may have only gotten 10 a week, but they were always willing to come to me to change strings with a 2 hour turnaround, rather than the $70, 2 week turnaround, that they guy down the road did. He did setups, I only changed strings.

Comment

$35 to change strings? I'm in the wrong business!

EDIT: re-reading that whole post just boggles my mind! This is really for just changing strings? nothing else? does that include the price of the strings as well? I would love to make $350/wk changing strings on 10 guitars.
                          Last edited by Codex; 10-01-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Now if I were to have done a total checkup/setup on a guitar, I wouldn't mind a stringchange to be added
                            but bringing in a guitar just for a stringchange?
                            No way, $25 for something I can do myself is a tank of gas down the drain
                            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              If you guys want to come to the market I am in and find me one of those $25 setup men, be my guest. But he better be good.

Unfortunately, when there isn't a high volume to keep prices low (like Wal-Mart), then you don't get to find cheap services. I used to get my strings changed in Nashville for $5. It took 10 minutes, but there was usually a few guys ahead of you. It could have been as much as an hour wait. So much volume, that they had an employee who's only job was to change strings and a 2nd employee who's job was to check in and out the customers who wanted their strings changed.

Contrasted with what you find around here. I charged just $35 to change strings (I raised it from $25). I may have only gotten 10 a week, but they were always willing to come to me to change strings with a 2 hour turnaround, rather than the $70, 2 week turnaround, that they guy down the road did. He did setups, I only changed strings.
                              I know you say you're towards the edge of the world, but hasn't the knowledge of how to change strings made it out that way yet? A line of guys waiting an hour for string changes? String change volume? Wow...
                              My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Working...
                              X