Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats with Jackson making mostly cheap shitty axes nowadays?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats with Jackson making mostly cheap shitty axes nowadays?!?!?

Why arent they instead making medium to high end imports instead of tarnishing tgeir reputation!

The brand is already slipping into obscurity in Australia atleast!
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

Check out the new DK2MQ. That is one sharp axe and is in the mid range...
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Got to say the 2 X series neck thru guitars I got recently are rather nice.
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

The new X series guitars are great in comparison to what they're being sold against at that price, (ie. B.C. Rich, ESP, Ibanez, etc). As guitars themselves, the few I've played never blew me away, but they still left an impression.

The old X and Pro series' have been discontinued due to the Japanese plant going out of business, (same plant that made the old Proffesionals and Model Series if I'm not mistaken).

Jackson have 4 levels of guitars: Beginner, mid range, high end, and custom shop. I don't know why you're making such a fuss about them making cheap imports, it's business and smart in my opinion. However Jackson are slipping into obscurity. The only times I hear the words Jackson is usually said by kids who just started listening to Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc. They can't afford the USA models, don't know you can buy a used Pro series for cheeeap, and usually end up with a low end LTD or Ibanez because what store around here stocks low end, if any Jacksons.

Another thing that makes me thinking they're slipping is trend decisions too late. "After the 7 string trend hit, how long did it take for them to come out with a cheap/mid range 7 string?" for example.

Comment

They should just drop the JS series IMO. I personally dislike the fact that the new X series (not sure about the pro?) is made in Indonesia but they seem like better made and specced instruments. If Jackson need cash, I'd rather see them whoring out for endorsers than selling tons of cheap mediocre instruments.

Comment

IMHO, Jackson should not be making "beginner guitars" ... why put your brand on a turd
            I say midrange on up only
            Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

They x series is made in India. Pro series are indonesia(rumor has it same as ibanez) and mexico(fender plant). I think there's at least a few chinese ones too(scott ian)

Comment

How do you get people to play your guitars if you don't have a beginner. the JS series are pretty nice. they are a hell of a lot better them some of the other brands at a even higher price point.

Comment

I'm going to go out a limb and assume there is a big market for low end guitars. I take lessons at my local music store and I chat with the owner a lot. It's a lot of parents come in because their teenager wants to play guitar. I watch the shop owner point out $200 guitars and then points out they can get something nicer for $300-$400, but the parent usually cringes at the idea of spending more, and you can tell they are just going to buy the cheapest one. This is because the teenager will likely beat it up and quickly become disinterested. Also, someone who doesn't know anything about guitar can't tell the difference between a Squier and a USA Fender. If their kid stays with playing guitar, they might move up to a mid range, then high end of that cheap model their parents bought them. It's potential for a customer for life and if not, they are still selling lots of cheap guitars.

Comment

IMHO, brand is synonymous with quality and must retain an element of desire. IMHO sub-branding is much better I.e. Jackson lite, epipi jackson.. or whatever. . I.e. Wow chris broderick has a fugging bad Jackson, but I'm a poor student so I'll get the jackson lite CB model, until I can afford a "real bad ass Jackson".

What do beginners covet, what the badass players have.
                    what do the badass players covet, badass guitars that the poor beginners covet, but can't afford... "yet"
                    What do beginners get, a lite version, until they are badass (or rich)

If every dumb kid on the block can afford a "Jackson" then something's wrong

Sorry guys, I just drank a bottle of Korean Soju...fuuuuuug ignore me

Comment

Originally posted by decadence5423 View Post
                      I'm going to go out a limb and assume there is a big market for low end guitars. I take lessons at my local music store and I chat with the owner a lot. It's a lot of parents come in because their teenager wants to play guitar. I watch the shop owner point out $200 guitars and then points out they can get something nicer for $300-$400, but the parent usually cringes at the idea of spending more, and you can tell they are just going to buy the cheapest one. This is because the teenager will likely beat it up and quickly become disinterested. Also, someone who doesn't know anything about guitar can't tell the difference between a Squier and a USA Fender. If their kid stays with playing guitar, they might move up to a mid range, then high end of that cheap model their parents bought them. It's potential for a customer for life and if not, they are still selling lots of cheap guitars.
                      Yes Yes, I agree! but said parent/teenager will (maybe after some debate) will agree on a sub-brand of their dream guitar.. squire/strat, Epiphone/Gibson.. Nice Jackson/Shit Jackson .. the problem with the latter is differentiation between what is considered a desirable instrument and a normal POS.

Now, Jackson brand = average(USA select , Pro, X series, JS).. So now Jackson brand = mediocre? .. fug that!
                      Jackson brand should equal = average(USA select, pro)
                      and
                      Jackson lite (or whatever) = average(X series, JS)

Comment

Rich, thanks for the info.

I know that the JS series is generally liked here - that is why I bought one (JS30RR). Thing is, I couldn't stand it. It sounded ok 'for the money', it didn't have any problems playing after a proper set-up, but it just felt cheap and wrong - and that was before I had played any really decent guitars. I sold it, saved and got an RR24 and I was blown the fuck away by the thing. I am positive that any beginner who has played more than 6 months can tell the difference. I still haven't played a USA .

Can a beginner start playing with a JS? Sure. Are there worse guitars for more money? I guess there are, the low end is all over the place. But nowadays beginners can get an equally decent chinese whatever brand for half the money if the don't care for the Jackson name. That is why the Jackson name should remain exotic. If Jackson is looking to compete with the chinese etc, they should drop the Jackson name and do a "by Jackson" imprint line for the low budget stuff. I actually used to appreciate that Jackson doesn't do that, but my view changed after my experience with the JS. Hook'em early, make them lust after the real thing. Just don't make the real thing feel cheap-ass. Now, the JS30 line was really poorly specced, I know that the JS32 and later have improved and the new X series looks even better. I think the X series should be the lowest end available, and then it would feel better as an imprint.

To me Jackson = awesome, in the same way that Charvel = awesome superstrats, not chinese LTD wannabes - no matter how good they play. Then again I am just a brand fanboy who has played only a couple of Jacksons so far. But to me Jackson is the epitome of the metal guitar, there are other absolutely great guitars out there but Jackson is Jackson, pointy and fucking awesome.

Isn't that what marketing is about?

Comment

Originally posted by LaoWai View Post
                          IMHO, Jackson should not be making "beginner guitars" ... why put your brand on a turd
                          I say midrange on up only
                          I agree 100% with this. Unfortunately, the reality is 98% of the guitar buying public is buying low end crap. That's how GC manages to stay afloat and the shops that sell mostly high end gear are having a hard time. For example, I haven't notice anyone mentioning that Willoughby Music went out of business. Jake had some really cool higher end stuff. He didn't really sell junk. I can only assume the economy finally got the best of him. Thankfully, there's still a few guys like Matt who are still able to get the good stuff.
                          "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                          I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Lol... Soju is the Devil...believe me I know after a year in Korea!
                            "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                            ENGL Powerball II
                            Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                            Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                            Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                            1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                            1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                            2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                            2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                            1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                            2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                            1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                            1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                            2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                            2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                            2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                            2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                            2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                            2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                            2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                            1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

After noticing LaoWai's avatar let me just point out that long before I owned a Jackson I owned a signed Jenna Jameson Jackson poster and Zippo - I don't smoke and I don't ever remember watching a Jenna Jameson clip! I was just lusting after a Jackson that bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X