No announcement yet.

How much should I offer? Or should I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for all the input dudes...I still haven't been able to see the guitar....I'm getting cold feet now...
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

what the bodies made of anyone know? basswood?

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
        what the bodies made of anyone know? basswood?
        Basswood is correct.
        -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdL...AdId=421796605

It's hard to tell from his pictures but the guitar could either have a 590 or 580LP, but I'm leaning more towards a 590.

Corrosion on the bolts for the neck is pretty common for these because of their age and how long a lot of them have been sitting. I purchased a Professional where just about every piece of metal that was touching the case had corrosion, including the frets. It's easily fixable with steel wool but it will take the color off. If you see it and it has a lot of corrosion I would probably talk him down a bit more assuming you're OK with the work.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wiring it's a pretty simple swap. On these pros the volume is really close to the bridge I would easily roll the volume down by accident just in my normal playing. I rewired mine so the tone was now the bridge volume.

Comment

Originally posted by decadence5423 View Post
            http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdL...AdId=421796605

It's hard to tell from his pictures but the guitar could either have a 590 or 580LP, but I'm leaning more towards a 590.
            Yep, it's 590 like mine.
            -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

This is why I hang at this site....Seriously, thanks guys !

I don't know shit about these guitars. Sure I can google (and I do) but it’s nice to get comments from dudes who know. I'm going to see this guitar shortly. I'm not sure he'll drop from 200..I will certainly try. I’m figuring the worst possible scenario is I ditch the guitar in 2 weeks if I hate it and get my 200 back.

I'd rather love it though

Comment

I had my eye on the same guitar, post some good pics once you get it, hey if you want to flip it.....you never know
                We will know for the first time...
                If we are evil or divine...
                We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

Well I scored it ! So far I am VERY happy with it. The guy was very cool. I pointed out some small issues with the guitar, he gave it to me for 180$, with a case. Not a great case but, meh... Serial is 925660....I think its MIJ?

There is some rust on the bridge (as some of you pointed out there would be) and on the pickups. It looks like one of the saddles has been replaced and there is an odd size screw (but same thread) on that replaced saddle. The neck is AWESOME, (Like, AWESOME!) and the body is in great condition. The frets need to be polished but are on great condition otherwise.

The bridge is indeed a German Shaller (again, as pointed out) and it feels really solid. It will need a WD40 bath. Even the sustain block looks decent, I don't know what its made of...

The pickups sound better than I expected. I have a FRED lying around I will likely put in.

I ALSO have a gotoh bridge I may put in it. It ALMOST fits the route. I will fuk with it more after, but really, I feel like the Shaller needs some TLC and it will be fine.

So far, I feel like got a great guitar for a great price. I’ll post some “As is” picks in a NGD thread shortly.

I can’t see myself rolling this guitar anytime soon. REALLY liking what I see so far.

I sound like a broken record but again, thanks for the comments and input. I may not have bought this guitar with out it.
                  Last edited by dvscool; 10-14-2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

kinda the reaction i figured you'd have after you bought it...lol...congrats...and yeah wd 40 should take care of the tremolo...d.m.
                    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Even with the rust and old strings I can't put this guitar down. I think I'm going to bring it to rehearsal as IS...seriously stoked.

Comment

So, I took a few picture with my crappy blackberry. They actually make the guitar look worse than it really is. I REALLY like this guitar. I played the guitar for several hours with the dirty old crap strings. I couldn’t put it down. I’m actually a die-hard Ibanez guy, but seriously, this guitar could tip the scale for me. The neck, man the neck, I think is the nicest I have ever played. It just seems PERFECT for my hands.

The guitar is in pieces now. The bridge is getting a nice WD40 bath. The frets will get a nice polish and the bridge pickup is going to be swapped out for an EVO or FRED, I have both lying around. Likely the EVO. I can’t wait to get it all back together.

I am toying with the idea of putting the Gotoh on that I have. It would require very minor work. The Shaller on it seems very solid and I was shocked to find it actually has, what I think is a brass black? I wouldn’t hesitate to spend money on a Floyd either.

The serial is: 925660 – Anyone know is that MIJ?

Anyways here’s a few pics..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121014-00085.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	2446384Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121014-00086.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	2446385Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121014-00090.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2446386Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121014-00099.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	2446387

Comment

I thought all Professionals were MIJ, and it's the Performers that weren't. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm incorrect. The necks on most professionals are insanely thin. I think Jackson did it to compete with the popularity of Ibanez at the time, and considering a lot these were made of basswood its pretty much a Jacksonez.

You should be able to swap the trem, I swapped a 580 for an OFR. It looks a little funny because there is some extra space on one side but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by decadence5423 View Post
                            I thought all Professionals were MIJ, and it's the Performers that weren't. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm incorrect. The necks on most professionals are insanely thin. I think Jackson did it to compete with the popularity of Ibanez at the time, and considering a lot these were made of basswood its pretty much a Jacksonez.

You should be able to swap the trem, I swapped a 580 for an OFR. It looks a little funny because there is some extra space on one side but it works.
                            Your right, I think it is an Jacksonez. I think Jackson built this "Ibanez" neck better then Ibanez builds them...I guess that would explain why I like it so much......

I have this strange feeling I will be hunting these guitars down. Perfect for building, perfect necks, sexy bodies, decent bridges and you can steal em. Maybe I just got really lucky.

I would be buying 1 of these a month if I could get them for 180

Comment

They don't seem to come up very often but you can probably steal them most of the time. I paid $200 for my Dinky XL with original J/C case. Between the corrosion and input jack issue the guy said Guitar Center would only give him $100 for it. I think most people don't really know what they are and it makes them undervalued. In my mind I was paying $200 for an excellent guitar that needed a little work, and in his he was getting twice as much as he could get from GC.

Comment

Well, I finally got this little beast back together. Frets polished, a FRED bridge pickup, and the trem had a nice WD40 bath. It still needs some work cosmetically but looks much better. My main concern has always been the trem. I did manage to get the intonation almost perfect. I’ve been bouncing back and forth between which trem I was going to put on it (if at all). I contacted stewmac and they confirmed the NEW Schaller Floyds now have a brass baseplate, and the “stripping” issue, is no longer an issue. For me, thats good news because replacing the Schaller with anything else other then a Schaller was going to mean some addtional mods\work. So, I’m going to play it for a few weeks as is, and then pull the trigger with a new Schaller assuming we bond, of course. I’m going to post some pics later. It’s not going to win any beauty contests but so far, this guitar is a serious player. I feel like a scored even If I spend 200$ for a trem.
                                Last edited by dvscool; 10-20-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X