No announcement yet.

Differences Between a SC1 and an Adrian Smith Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimately, of course the AS has 'lower' specs than the PC1 or DK1 (if we're comparing US bolt-ons). The DK1 has EMGs (generally more expensive), binding and sharkfins. The PC1 has a flame board, quilt top, sustainer and gold hardware. And of course you're paying something for Adrian's commission and then a premium for a Jackson strathead with a big logo. And people have wanted that for ages. But on paper, as far as price vs spec goes, the AS is not a bargain.

But it comes down to this: if you think it's too expensive, don't buy one.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Or yo, yo, yo! You kould build a way cooler version of it that woold be brootalz from like Mitey Mike parts!

As far as paying for features - well, we could argue all the live long day about that. Just consider it this way - if I build 1000 DK1's a year, I need to order 1000 EMG 81 pickups and build 1000 DK1 necks. At that quantity, it costs me $5 per pickup and $10 per neck I need to build (I made up those numbers). Now, I want to build 100 AS guitars and need 100 Dimarzio Super Distortions (not used on any other stock Jackson) and build 50 Ebony and 50 maple Jackson strathead necks (also not used on any other model). Because of the low quantity and different specs, it might cost $10 per pickup and $20 per neck.

Differentiation alone is why things cost more. You wonder why the JB/59 is the stock pickup in 90% of Jackson - its the combination that sounds the best and costs the least - they make 10,000 guitars a year with those pickups, they pay pennies for them. If every model had a different pickup, all of a sudden their cost savings go down and the end users costs go up.

Has no one studied production line efficiencies? Just-in-Time inventory control?
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Hey, yo, Mighty Mite this, buddy!

I hear your point but those same things apply to the PC1. Sustainer? Gold hardware, especially the Floyd? Super 3? Maple 24-fret bolt-on neck with a profile like a Louisville Slugger? Mahogany Dinky body? None of that shit is on any other Jackson.

So, either the PC1 is a bargain or the Adrian Smith is priced high. Or both. I dunno. But they seem to sell so fuck it.

Now, who wants ICE CREAM!?!?

Comment

Yeah but they've been building PC1's for years and have been geared up for them and probably make and sell more PC1's than AS's. Just a guess on that. And isn't the PC1 retail like $2499??? That's more than a AS at $1999....
          Blank yo!

Comment

$2399. But it has more stuff that they don't use on anything else, too. Even the logo is different! The Logo Elves have to make those special, just for the PC1.

Really, if you consider Charvel, too, how can you say that the Adrian Smith body or even the neck isn't used on any other model? 12-16" compound radius, dot inlay, Strat-head, ebony or maple... Maybe unique to Jackson but not at all unique to Charvel.

Comment

I have several DK1s and other USA Jacksons - and I have an Adrian Smith on order - and it has NOTHING to do with the fact that his sig is on the headstock - it's a gorgeous maple boarded (I got the white and black maple boarded one) strat head Jackson. If it was just another USA Select with those specs, and not the AS signature model - I still would have coined up for it. To me - it's worth the money and I can't wait to have it in my collection. And I have absolutely no interest in the PC1s at all. And honestly, no interest in the SoCals either.
              Last edited by Spiderman; 03-03-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Well... That settles it. The two guys who bought one say it's a great deal! :ROTF:

Seriously, I hope no one is reading into my comments to say that I think the guitar is a "rip off." I think it's priced a little higher than I'd like to pay, and what I think the guitar is worth in a practical sense, but I don't think anyone is dumb for buying one or that it's highway robbery.

FWIW, I have owned DK1's and a PC1 and I don't really care for the PC1. I just like to argue I guess.

Also, Grandturk's mom.

Comment

Dunno, for a signature I've seen crazier prices
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    Also, Grandturk's mom.
                    That's it, now I'm not returning Old Blue.

Blank yo!

Comment

Is the neck shape different from a charvel pro mod?

Comment

The ebony neck feels completely different from my promods. I've heard the maple is closer to the charvel necks
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          That's it, now I'm not returning Old Blue.

The new one's better anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X