Differences Between a SC1 and an Adrian Smith Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences Between a SC1 and an Adrian Smith Dinky

Besides the Pickups, are ther any big differences between a So~Cal and the Adrian Smith Dinky?

I'm pretty sure the necks on the Adrians are done by hand. Basically, the Adrian is a custom shop guitar and the So Cal comes off the Fender production line.
    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Nah, nah, nah... The Adrian Smith maple version is just a So Cal with Adrian's signature on it and they charge an extra $900.

Probably the AS is a 2-piece body vs. the SoCal 3-piece (or 5-piece?) and I'm sure the fit & finish is better. The neck would have a better fret dress.

Also, the AS has a side jack, not the Strat top-mount jack. H/S/S vs. the H/H layout as well. Better tuners. Um... It doesn't have that silly knuckle-busting knob the Pro Mods come with. That's about all I can think of.

Honestly if I were presented with a really well-made SoCal vs. the Adrian Smith I'd probably go for the SoCal and save the coin. I honestly don't think the Adrian Smith is worth the price unless you just want to have "Adrian Smith's guitar." In and of itself, it's not a great value at all. Shit you could get a Soloist or if you like bolt-on's, a nice DK1 for cheaper. :dunno:

Comment

Agreed. I love Maiden, and Adrian is one of my favorite Guitarists. Iwas somewhat excited about this model, until I saw the price. I Have a soloist from 1990, and Im sure this wont really be an upgrade to that, as the rules in the house, by my boss, "wife", is if one comes on, one goes out. I thought of selling the soloist, but then changed my mind on it. I think the old school USA soloists are one of the best guitars ever made. The newer ones, "post fender', dont match up, and Im sure the A.S. wont either.

Is tempting though!! G.A.S. is a helluva disease!!

Comment

The AS has a proper Floyd as well. And a case. And it feels like a guitar that's been made by people who know what they're doing and who give a shit.

The value discussion could go on for ages and don't get me wrong, the Charvels are fine for what they are. But what they are is a mass produced guitar which sells retail for $900. Great. Good thing. But generally you pay for what you get. Sure, there's some extra wacked on to every signature model (both for the artist commission and because enough people will pay it), but even with that taken off I'd wager the AS would still be twice the price of a socal. And there's a reason for that.

If you just want something that looks the same as an AS Jackson then sure, buy a white socal, then spend another $150 on a pickguard, 5way switch and some single coils and live with the 'wrong' logo. But it won't feel like an AS Jackson.
          Last edited by neilli; 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Fuck all y'all!

-------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              Sure, there's some extra wacked on to every signature model (both for the artist commission and because enough people will pay it), but even with that taken off I'd wager the AS would still be twice the price of a socal. And there's a reason for that.
              I hope you did not think I was serious about the $900 extra for the signature. :think:

Anyway, I mostly agree with you, although what goes for how much is always a crapshoot. There are Charvels from the Custom Shop that are pretty close feature-wise and they're upwards of $2300.

My point was I don't think the AS Signature is a "screamin' deal" on a great Strat-style guitar. If you have to have Adrian Smith's guitar, it's cool. If you want a Custom Shop Strat (Charvel) in white, it's definitely a better deal than you'd get from the Custom Shop for a straight-up custom.

On its own merit, I think it's grossly overpriced compared to what else you can get from Jackson for the same money. Hell, for another $400 you can get a sustainer, mahogany body, quilt top, flame maple fingerboard, gold hardware... AND a signature. Or for $200 less, you can get binding, 24 frets, MOP logo, sharkies, and other stuff in a DK1 without a signature. :dunno:
              Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Fuck all y'all!

You shoulda pushed that POS off the roof while you had a chance.

Just kidding. I know it's a great guitar, and it IS the Adrian Smith Signature, which is what YOU WANTED, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  Hell, for another $400 you can get a sustainer, mahogany body, quilt top, flame maple fingerboard, gold hardware... AND a signature. Or for $200 less, you can get binding, 24 frets, MOP logo, sharkies, and other stuff in a DK1 without a signature.
                  All of those features you mentioned make me throw up in my mouth a little bit... blech...

Would I have bought an Adrian Smith signature Ibanez Destroyer, Lado Earth, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe? Probably not.

The number 1 reason for me getting the Jackson was it is a cool as hell Jackson Strat. Had they made a Adrian Smith Fender Strat - I probably would have skipped that as well. Now the Dave Murray Strat - that's iconic!
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah, but you're weird... For most people, less does not equal more.

The only thing that really turns me off of the PC1, besides the fat neck, is the lack of inlays. I don't really care for quilt tops or the sustainer system either. But, for some people, those are plusses. We all have different taste, though. :dunno:

I do think the Adrian Smith is a kick-ass Jackson Strat. If it were offered without the signature, as a regular model, in a variety of finishes, for a hundred or two hundred bucks less than a DK1, I'd call it a great deal. But, I don't see how, outside of the signature, the Adrian Smith is "value added" over a DK1 personally.

Comment

Yeah, but you're weird... For most people, less does not equal more.
                      Agreed. Here's a list of things I never want to see on a strat-style guitar:

- Mahagony
                      - Quilt maple top
                      - Phil Collen's signature

But, I don't see how, outside of the signature, the Adrian Smith is "value added" over a DK1 personally.
                      Here's a list of things I don't consider improvements to a guitar:

- MOP Inlays
                      - MOP logos
                      - Binding
                      - Flame & quilt
                      - Gold hardware

Now don't get me wrong - I like all of the above, but if you showed me a DK1 with Inlays, Binding, Flame and quilt and gold hardware, and then the plane Jane Adrian Smith and told me the DK1 was $1K cheaper - I still wouldn't buy the DK1. It is a completely unacceptable guitar to me. Size, shape, feel - don't like them, would never buy them. I've tried the dinky shape and it didn't take.

Here's a list of other shapes I would never buy/play/lust after:

- Teles
                      - Mark Morton
                      - Jackson Dinkies
                      - Kramer amoeba strats
                      - Phil Collen archtops
                      - Any archtop strat
                      - Ibanez Iceman
                      - Jackson Demons and those Alex Skolnick Ibanez Demon copies
                      - Any Les Paul Jr shape with the annoying treble side body lump - see also that Hamer Newport
                      - PRS standard double cutaway shape
                      - Dean Soltero - ugly ass thing

Anyway - so you get the idea. You give me a Ibanez Iceman, custom shop, diamond inlays and a hot nekkid chick painted on it for $100 and I still don't want it.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

I understand what you mean, there are some guitars that are worth thousands I wouldn't take for free except to flip them and buy something I want...

I mean to compare it in terms of materials and labor cost.

Sharkies, neck binding, MOP logo, recessed tremolo route, sustainer, quilt top, gold hardware, etc. might all be stuff you don't like or don't care about, but it costs money and time (which is also money) to install it.

Comment

to all those putting down the AS, im guessing your the same people that wont ever consider Suhr, Anderson or any high end, high dollar bolt ons. you pay for stuff made by peoples hands not a CNC assembly line process, whether its justified or not, someone has to fund their paychecks.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                            to all those putting down the AS, im guessing your the same people that wont ever consider Suhr, Anderson or any high end, high dollar bolt ons. you pay for stuff made by peoples hands not a CNC assembly line process, whether its justified or not, someone has to fund their paychecks.
                            Is the Adrian Smith Signature more hand-made than any other USA Jackson?

Comment

I've heard that Mike Shannon hand rubs his butt while pressing the "go" button on the CNC machine that cuts out the Adrian Smith bodies.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X