Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One humbucker,V trem USA production model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
    The early Charvels were just hot rodded strats.
    I know that, you know that, as do most knowledgeable people, but perception usually trumps what's "right" in the marketplace, and with the bigger companies it's usually the perception of the lowest common denominator that gets catered to.

Comment

If its CNC then is just a matter of a minor change in the program.

i like to refer to them as MOJOCASTERS! LOL...
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I'd be happy with just one hum. Perfect for custom paintjobs if so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
          I'd be happy with just one hum. Perfect for custom paintjobs if so inclined.
          yeah that would be fine. I actually love the black/white evh art charvel only minus the stripes!
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

If its CNC then is just a matter of a minor change in the program.

Yeah but with all the crying about "having to change the chrome hardware on the White S1 to black myself", you think many people would spend the dosh on having a 1-hum wonder properly Floyded and routed for a neck pickup?

I voted no, but I actually think they should do it for the next run, if for no other reason than so everyone will finally shut the fuck up about them. Production cost would increase due to the neck pocket, bridge, and pickup route changes, and you simply cannot throw on a vintage-style steel Fender-branded bridge - It's gotta be brass or it's a "let's pretend" Charvel.
            The small batch run of 150 should keep casualties to a minimum, though.

While it's a "simple program change" in the CNC router, it's a change. You know hwo easy it is to hook a diagnostics computer to a car's interface port? Yet a lot of places still charge $500 just to do that. "You're paying for the skill to keep from blowing the computer out" (aside from the fact it's just unhooking the battery cable and grounding yourself properly).
            The same thing applies here - you're paying for the skill to change presets in a computer.

You're also paying for someone to keep track of those so they don't end up as Fenders, or with the wrong options (though bar coded tags in the neck pocket should hold all the info).

Still, you get people involved, you get errors, so the cost is going to increase. $1700 is too much to pay for a production model 1-hum-wonder.

I still don't get why you just can't NOT use the pickup switch or Floyd bar?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ah fuck it! LOL !! I guess i will just order a CS charvel after reading some of these replies! LOL..
              Last edited by savage; 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM.

Comment

There, now the poll is even. I know it probably won't happen but I love the vintage vibe of a one hum, v trem Charvel. Maybe with a cream Dimarzio and a brass knob too. I realize it's not for the masses but I only care about me and what I want. Would I pay 1700 for it? Naw, but if they could keep the pricing about the same, I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Yeah but with all the crying about "having to change the chrome hardware on the White S1 to black myself", you think many people would spend the dosh on having a 1-hum wonder properly Floyded and routed for a neck pickup?

I voted no, but I actually think they should do it for the next run, if for no other reason than so everyone will finally shut the fuck up about them. Production cost would increase due to the neck pocket, bridge, and pickup route changes, and you simply cannot throw on a vintage-style steel Fender-branded bridge - It's gotta be brass or it's a "let's pretend" Charvel.
                  The small batch run of 150 should keep casualties to a minimum, though.

While it's a "simple program change" in the CNC router, it's a change. You know hwo easy it is to hook a diagnostics computer to a car's interface port? Yet a lot of places still charge $500 just to do that. "You're paying for the skill to keep from blowing the computer out" (aside from the fact it's just unhooking the battery cable and grounding yourself properly).
                  The same thing applies here - you're paying for the skill to change presets in a computer.

You're also paying for someone to keep track of those so they don't end up as Fenders, or with the wrong options (though bar coded tags in the neck pocket should hold all the info).

Still, you get people involved, you get errors, so the cost is going to increase. $1700 is too much to pay for a production model 1-hum-wonder.

I still don't get why you just can't NOT use the pickup switch or Floyd bar?
                  First off what's worse? Crying because an option isn't available on the production model or crying because people want these options?

As far as raising production costs it would be minimal. Far less than the time,programing, bit wear on the cnc, and the materials to build a 2 hum with a selector switch. The savings from not having a neck pickup and selector switch far outweighs the cost of the cnc changes.

As far as living with or using a Floyd or a selector switch its personal choice. There are many many players that have a severe hatred for Floyds. So if they don't want a guitar with a Floyd they won't buy it no matter how much they like the rest of the guitar. If you are going with or wanting something period correct then a v-trem or hardtail would be period correct. Floyds were premium options at premium prices.

$1700 hundred isn't too much to pay for a 2 pickup floyded, bolt on CNC machined production guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
                    Ah fuck it! LOL !! I guess i will just order a CS charvel after reading some of these replies! LOL..
                    Do you need a Strat headstock? If not, look for one of the production pointy models from back a few years ago when Charvel USA first came back... they were available with choice of rosewood, maple or ebony boards, V-trem or Floyd, H, H/S, H/S/S and H/H pup configurations.
                    http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=46
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

do it!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Do you need a Strat headstock? If not, look for one of the production pointy models from back a few years ago when Charvel USA first came back... they were available with choice of rosewood, maple or ebony boards, V-trem or Floyd, H, H/S, H/S/S and H/H pup configurations.
                        http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=46
                        thanks toejam! I forgot about those!
                        I have 2 USA Prod. SD Style 1's and was wondering IF the neck would be a direct fit to the demartini or bengal in that earlier series? I could swap necks if so!

Comment

No problem. I'm not sure if the neck pockets are the same size. Someone here should know.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This was basically already tried with the earlier Charvel limited edition stratheads. 25th Anny, Bullseye, Lightning Bolt Star, anyone?

With all due respect, this would go over like a fart in church.

Comment

First off what's worse? Crying because an option isn't available on the production model or crying because people want these options?
                              The first one's definitely worse, because I'm doing the 2nd one :ROTF:

As far as raising production costs it would be minimal. Far less than the time,programing, bit wear on the cnc, and the materials to build a 2 hum with a selector switch. The savings from not having a neck pickup and selector switch far outweighs the cost of the cnc changes.
                              And yet it's still a $500 charge for the dealer to hook the diagnostics machine to the computer in your car. It's plugging something into something else, but it's a "skill" and requires "labor" that someone received training for, ergo, it's "worth" $500.

Any change made in a production run costs money.

As far as living with or using a Floyd or a selector switch its personal choice. There are many many players that have a severe hatred for Floyds. So if they don't want a guitar with a Floyd they won't buy it no matter how much they like the rest of the guitar. If you are going with or wanting something period correct then a v-trem or hardtail would be period correct. Floyds were premium options at premium prices.

$1700 hundred isn't too much to pay for a 2 pickup floyded, bolt on CNC machined production guitar?
                              Yes, $1700 is too much to pay for that, which is why I don't pay it.

These new Charvels were never intended to be "period-correct" - that's only something you do when attempting a restoration project (which is if doesn't use original-era parts, it's not a restoration) or when doing a tribute. These are not tributes to what Charvel was originally.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would vote "no" on the poll if I could vote on the poll, which I don't know why I can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X