Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel USA Productions Models made by who? Click for the answer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the last few posts I agree that:

1. The FMIC employee has given us a version of the truth which is misleading (unless he can go on to prove otherwise)
    2. Manufacturers should allow factory tours and produce video clips of their processes
    3. A home made Charvel copy is a copy. You can only put the Charvel name on it if you own the rights to it.
    4. The Charvel USA production series guitars are fantastic value 'off the peg' hot rodded Fender USA (production) strats that are true to the original Charvel vibe.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by alanhindle View Post
      4. The Charvel USA production series guitars are fantastic value 'off the peg' hot rodded Fender USA (production) strats that are true to the original Charvel vibe.
      I wouldn't say that. A hot-rodded Fender USA strat would be a Fender branded Stratocaster with modifications - hot rails, Floyd, pearl pickguard.

These are not Fender Stratocasters - that's cut and dried.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        I wouldn't say that. A hot-rodded Fender USA strat would be a Fender branded Stratocaster with modifications - hot rails, Floyd, pearl pickguard.

These are not Fender Stratocasters - that's cut and dried.
        Technically correct but I still see my SD1 as a hot rodded Fender Strat even though it never started out as one. Given that they're made by the same people who make Fender Strats and to the same standard this just reaffirms my view. It's still a Charvel to me though. That's just my view.

Comment

How are these true to the Charvel vibe at all?

The "vibe" as I see it was Boogie Bodies guitar parts along with whatever a customer wanted slapped on it.

You could never get away with doing that in the world today. It would be about the same as me ordering a Warmoth guitar, slapping a McCoy logo on the headstock and marketing it as my own brand. You could get away with it in the seventies (Wayne did). You just cannot do that today.

Now of course as he became more known, Wayne DID start to truly MAKE his own guitars, but at first, they really were hotrodded parts guitars.

In essence, MEX3's parts guitars ARE more true to the original Charvel vibe than anything coming off of a Fender production line. Trained employees or not.

Does this change the fact that I really dig these Charvel production guitars? No Way!!!

I would LOVE to own a number of them (just don't have the $$ right now). From what I've seen they are awesome guitars right out of the box. You can play em and be happy with them right after setup, of you can do whatever you want to suit you better.

I am a BIG fan of these guitars. IMO are they true Charvels? Yep. Can't argue that one. Built by folks trained to build Charvel guitars that work for the owners of the Charvel name. Are they true to the Charvel "vibe"? Well, that is truly a matter of opinion. If you think of the Charvel vibe as the first guitars that Wayne threw together and slapped his name on, then no. If you think of the vibe as when Grover took on the Charvel name and continued making the line of guitars, the answer has gotta still be no. If you think of the vibe as a kickass USA made superstrat, then Yes! It does hold that vibe. Me personally, I consider the vibe as the early parts guitars that Wayne put his name on. MEX3's parts guitars that he mentioned are the closest out of all the different "vibe" scenarios I ranted on and on about.

Oh, and all of this that I posted is complete heresay as usual. I have no way of knowing if this truly is actual fact or not. I was not there. It is pretty much the way I heard/read it.
          I highly doubt that Wayne ever saw this coming .

Blah blah blah WTF do I know anyways. The only Charvels I've ever owned have been the mid 80's Japanese Model series ones, so don't bother with anything I said .
          Last edited by bombtek; 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM.
          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
            The "vibe" as I see it was Boogie Bodies guitar parts along with whatever a customer wanted slapped on it.
            Now of course as he became more known, Wayne DID start to truly MAKE his own guitars, but at first, they really were hotrodded parts guitars.
            Oh, and all of this that I posted is complete heresay as usual. I have no way of knowing if this truly is actual fact or not. I was not there. It is pretty much the way I heard/read it.
            I highly doubt that Wayne ever saw this coming .
            As I understand it, Wayne didn't actually build guitars at all - Grover built the first guitars there after he bought out Wayne... but hey, correct me if I'm wrong.
            Blank yo!

Comment

I was always under the impression that Wayne built the first ones in and around late '77 early '78 (the proto Charvels). He then had his $ problems and Grover bought him out and continued the guitar line.
              Last edited by bombtek; 06-09-2009, 07:29 PM.
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I guess it depends on whose story you believe. Wayne seems to take a lot of credit in his "book" for guitars that were built well after he sold out, so...
                Blank yo!

Comment

Here this link tells the story, and kind of shines a light on it all.

Well if you believe that story. It's all heresay anyways.

http://www.sandimascharvel.com/story.htm

Anyways, this is completely getting the thread off track

But dammit, the "vibe" is from the early Boogie Bodies/Mighty Mite/Schecter guitar parts put together and have the Charvel logo slapped on.

Comment

Fuck it .........I'm going to Ebay and buying more 80's Model Series Charvels. There is never an argument about those damn guitars. They're just awesome any way you look at it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                      Fuck it .........I'm going to Ebay and buying more 80's Model Series Charvels. There is never an argument about those damn guitars. They're just awesome any way you look at it!!!!
                      Yeah - they made 'em good down in Fort Worth!
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by MEX3 View Post
                        Actually, I think Bionic told some whoppers in post #230 in the cut corners thread.

1: I'm sure if the custom shop actually built guitars with the same specs including the bridge, it was only because they built the protos for the series.

2: There is no Charvel production line and they are built by Fender employees. They might get billed out to Charvel for the 10 hours per month they are working on the Charvels, but It's less than honest to call them Charvel employees.

3: It wouldn't surprize me at all if the locations of the machines is not as Bionic describes, but it doesn't really matter.

4: No, Charvel didn't tool up at all by buying new CNC machines. It's the Fender line.

I'll stick with building my parts guitars and throwing Charvel logos on them. They are just as legit as the FMIC Charvels IMO.
                        I absolutely stand by every word in my statement. I am afraid that I have done what I can to help address this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic View Post
                          I absolutely stand by every word in my statement. I am afraid that I have done what I can to help address this issue.
                          Hey bro - not sure what you're afraid of - but you have been nothing but helpful on this board. I, and a lot of other people, value your input!

We're a knitpicky lot - some more than others.

I absolutely believe these ProMods are quality, quality guitars (and would buy more, if I had my Adrian Smith already, I mean, c'mon what's the damn holdup?!?!?!) and you guys are doing a great job with them. As I've said before, except for a quick once over with a polishing cloth on the frets, my guitar needed zero work on it - it was a top performer out of the box.

I have a buddy, who has a SoCal which he loves, and he insists its made of Mighty Mite parts. To me, this is why, in this day and age, it pays to be as transparant as possible - I don't care what else the machines and workers build - show me the guys making the guitars so I can stick that in my friends face and say, "they're not Mighty Mite parts, you idiot." And personally, I've played Mighty Might parts guitars, and put one together myself - and they're a POS in comparison to the ProMods.

anyway -
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Well at least mine is the 4th production one made so I'll bet it was made buy a Charvel guy.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              Well at least mine is the 4th production one made so I'll bet it was made buy a Charvel guy.
                              Or the first trainee...
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X