What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
    You wanted the brand treated with respect. Respect costs a premium, just look at PRS.
    Does it? Even with the lower market bolt-ons and the SE line? Reminds me of Hamer, IMO.

Anyway - I agree with everything else you said.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
      If this is just going to turn into a bitchfest of "the new stuff is too expensive." You may as well just end the thread now.

You don't like the prices, don't buy them.
      You don't like the quality, don't buy them.
      You want to claim that it's ruining the Charvel name? Sit down and take a valium.
      Charvel, as a name or an "mystic mojo manufacturer" never existed. Wayne left many years ago. Claiming that a resurrection of the brand is a bad thing is fairly wrong headed.

Shaddup and play yer guitars. Seems like you have a nice collection.

You wanted the brand treated with respect. Respect costs a premium, just look at PRS.
      Yep...one way or another we got a bitch fest here. Take it for what it's worth, but when the pussyaching about " bitchin' " starts, the thread's about done is right.

Oh no...here we go. Another skewed conclusion that incorrectly cites a bizarro version of the transitive property.

I think your confused. People don't gush on PRS because of the price. They're top quality guitars. I like Charvel just fine, but they're not quite in the same manufacturing league as PRS. Wait a minute.....you're not paying MAP for a PRSs too? I'm not...who the hell pays MAP?

Sounds like you're an 'expert'...let's see your stuff? Sometimes, I guess you have to put the proof (pictures) where your bitch-hole is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie_van_trailerpark View Post
        Sounds like you're an 'expert'...let's see your stuff? Sometimes, I guess you have to put the proof (pictures) where your bitch-hole is.

Sorry... what exactly are you "proving?" That you have some PRS's? Wow - you win.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

• To me PRS are over priced. Yes I have one, it's great. Honestly, I like my Charvels better (based on feel and sound) and got them for way cheaper. An No I didn't pay MAP for any of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Sorry... what exactly are you "proving?" That you have some PRS's? Wow - you win.

Yup he won. Proved me wrong that he came into the thread to bitch about the pricing of the CS and production Charvels. Wasn't really on topic, but hey, that's never stopped a good bitch session.

I'm not an "expert" about shit other than how to spell my name.
            Even that is only on a good day.

Long story short. Before PRS came out with the SE line, Way back in 89-90, a PRS was something out of the reach of many buyers, myself included. Their reputation as highend, high priced axes helped them get their niche in the market.

Gibson does the same thing now.

I just don't understand how people can say they want Charvel to come back, but, only if they are created exactly like back in 85, and for under $1500.00.
            It's not reasonable nor would it be good business.

All I'm trying to say is, if it bothers you, buy something else. We don't need to beat that pricing horse over and over again.
            Last edited by Flatpicker; 03-15-2009, 11:20 PM.
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• To me, it's a business and marketing thing. Brand names are about buying in to an idea and the manufacturers will capitalise on a brand name but strive to maintain the quality if that's part of the idea/ethos. For me, buying my Charvel was about taking me back to the guitar heroes of the '80s but also getting good quality for my money for what I want to do with a guitar. The USA production fits that bill for me just fine, as would have a MIJ model. For a pro player or session musician, I've no doubt the custom shop is the way to go.

Maybe allowing in the wider guitar buying public (like me) is the way to keep the brand alive rather than a way to kill it off. Could Charvel survive the market long term on custom shop sales alone? They're a niche product, susceptible to changes in the market, unlike a Gibson or a Fender which will always be in fashion. The USA production guitars, to a large extent, keep the quality flag flying and still allow the brand name to flourish.

I'm glad these '80s guitars and all the old bands are back and I'll make very sure that I enjoy my new San Dimas 1.

Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by alanhindle View Post
                I'll make very sure that I enjoy my new San Dimas 1.

Alan
                As well as you should.
                Play that SD1 till your fingers bleed, then play some more. You got a fine guitar. All us nutty screw counters aside. Sometimes I think the internet is perfect for OCD. Let's you just beat the details into the ground.
                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• Can we just clear one thing up? It seems a lot of you are confusing MAP (minimum advertised price) with MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price). MAP is the price that you can't advertise below.
                  Scott

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    Well, I guess I can sum it up like this, since you've asked.

You have the guitar player, who owns and plays lots of different types of guitars. I spent time with them, use them in all types of settings with all types of amps. I clean 'em, restring them, take them apart and look at the details.

Then you have your internet forum 'experts'. They see guitars on the wall at guitar center or they're buddys brother has one. They might even have even played one for 15 minutes with a worn down Twinamp over by Sam Ash.

I'm not saying Fatpicker is FOS, but at least I can put up the proof. I got the guitars, I play the guitars and I have the pics to prove it. Lot's of people are good at talking crap on the intaaaanet, not too many know how to stop pussyaching and listen.

yep threads over........

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie_van_trailerpark View Post
                      Well, I guess I can sum it up like this, since you've asked.

You have the guitar player, who owns and plays lots of different types of guitars. I spent time with them, use them in all types of settings with all types of amps. I clean 'em, restring them, take them apart and look at the details.

Then you have your internet forum 'experts'. They see guitars on the wall at guitar center or they're buddys brother has one. They might even have even played one for 15 minutes with a worn down Twinamp over by Sam Ash.

I'm not saying Fatpicker is FOS, but at least I can put up the proof. I got the guitars, I play the guitars and I have the pics to prove it. Lot's of people are good at talking crap on the intaaaanet, not too many know how to stop pussyaching and listen.

yep threads over........
                      OK, maybe I'm thick headed..... but what point were you trying to inject into this thread? All I have seen is that you have pictures of guitars and talked alot of shit. Was your intent to boost your ego about spending silly money for overpriced guitars, well you've accomplished that..... great job. Glad you can afford them.

I for one quake in the presence of your $10,000 ++ collection. As my pitiful assortment of guitars doesn't even rank next to your mighty collection of high dollar fine instruments. Whoa is me.

Learn some humility asshole. There are some collection on this board that flat embarrasses yours.

Comment

• Learn some humility asshole. There are some collection on this board that flat embarrasses yours.
                        and at least one of those people likes the new ones and I believe owns at least 2.

Comment

• Maybe it's just me but I'm feeling a lot of love in this thread right now. Can you feel it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                            I dont think anyone buys these expecting them to be an old charvel to collect or cherish forever. People buy these to play.
                            We have a winner - this guy gets it perfectly!

I've been saying all along that these are great guitars to take out and play. Why take your priceless original Charvels to a bar so some drunk can knock it over when you can use these instead? I have a couple original San Dimas era Charvels, and I swear that these do indeed capture the vibe pretty damn well. The necks are leaps and bounds above most instruments in this price group, and the whole package just works. I brought my prod model Tele home, fiddle-farted with it for about 20 minutes, put a set of 10's on it and it plays like a damn wet dream.

Personally, I think a lot of people spend too much time worrying about the so-called "quality" of their guitar instead of playing the damn thing. We grow older and more snobbish. To someone who cannot afford a 2.5K custom shop, these guitars are the answer - period - and I know a lot of people in that category who could probably out play most of the snobs.
                            You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                            You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                            --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                            --horns666 - 12/29/08
                            I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                            --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

• Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                              Can we just clear one thing up? It seems a lot of you are confusing MAP (minimum advertised price) with MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price). MAP is the price that you can't advertise below.
                              According to a Fender sales rep himself - MAP and MSRP for the production models is the SAME NUMBER.
                              You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                              You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                              --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                              --horns666 - 12/29/08
                              I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                              --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

• Originally posted by mudkicker View Post
                                OK, maybe I'm thick headed..... but what point were you trying to inject into this thread? All I have seen is that you have pictures of guitars and talked alot of shit. Was your intent to boost your ego about spending silly money for overpriced guitars, well you've accomplished that..... great job. Glad you can afford them.

I for one quake in the presence of your $10,000 ++ collection. As my pitiful assortment of guitars doesn't even rank next to your mighty collection of high dollar fine instruments. Whoa is me.

Learn some humility asshole. There are some collection on this board that flat embarrasses yours.
                                WHoooaaa rubbernack....read the post. Besides, I haven't even started posting guitars yet. That's about 10% of my crap! I couldn't find the 'who's got the most gear thread and doesn't work at 7-11' thread. Maybe you should check the whole thread before you go all smashmouth there tough guy. Just relax and take a deep breath. There no need to get all upset. I'm sure the day will come when you could afford to have a few guitars....maybe or maybe not? That piss-ass attitude might be what's holding you back. Yah think?

Damn-man, why is it alway some guy with a Squire Strat and a busted headstock Les Paul Studio that goes all whacked trying to tell me how much of an expert he is..........?
                                Last edited by Eddie_van_trailerpark; 03-16-2009, 05:38 PM. Reason: post more pics!

Comment

Working...
                                X