Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Production series hardware - floyd rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    How do yOu define "best?". Cost, quality, cost:quality?
    I guess I meant... simply the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6RRcw3V3A

Comment

Can't watch your video from behind the firewall, but I'm imagining Tina Turner.

If I had $100, the best Floyd I could buy would be the MIK.

If I had $180, the best Floyd I could buy would be the MIG.

If I had $120 and didn't mind scraping for spare parts, the best Floyd I could buy would be a used MIG and then try to find the rest of the parts I would need.

If it just came down to tone... I've already said that I don't hear a difference.

If I wanted the best Floyd that has been in use for 25 plus years and is still going strong, I would have to buy the MIG.

So you see... there is no "simply the best."
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Ok, thanks. Yep, Tina Turner it is.

Comment

Sorry, i changed the floyd on my SD1 with an old (screw in bar style) OFR i had laying around. if there is a tone difference i cant hear it, i had no problem with the floyd that was on the guitar originally just wanted chrome.

Comment

I solved the floyd rose problem! I put a kahler on it!!
            definitely kidding.

Comment

I put a gold OFR on one of my Pro Mods. It looked nice IMO, and definitely sounded more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                It looked nice IMO, and definitely sounded more expensive.
                Bling!!! Bling!!!
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                  After having played crappy Ibeenhad's Edge trems and swore I'd never use a floyd-style trem again, I now have 4 production models...2 with the Koreans, 1 with an OFR and 1 Ping (in transit). I've found the Korean to be a bit smoother than the OFR, but the OFR feels sturdier by far. I added brass big blocks to all of them and noticed increased sustain over the stock blocks. I can't say that one is tonally better than the other or that sustain is better than the other while stock, but all in all, the Koreans seem to be damn close to the quality of the OFR. I have no problem with mine. Won't know about the Ping until it arrives however.
                  Interesting. I want to try one of the Korean ones (and a Ping) but I'd be Big-Blocking them and replacing the hardware anyway... I'm primarily interested in the baseplates, if the knife-edges are sturdy, and the fine-tuners work.

Originally posted by fatstrat View Post
                  AWWWW, QUIT YOUR BITCHING AND JUST CHANGE THE SADDLES, BLOCK AND BASEPLATE ALREADY YOU CHEAP ASS MOTHER FER'S!
                  LOL.
                  some people will get it.

Comment

I had two pro mods, red and black. Had to sell to pay for some dental work. But, out of the two, one of them had a shoddy floyd. First, the housing for the bar chipped bad, and I had to buy a new one from Stewmac. Then one of the saddle screw holes (not the screw, but the hole on the base plate) stripped, which means I would have had to bought a whole new base plate. That really sucked. So out of two I got one dud. Plus the neck on one had a bad fret job. I should have sent it back but didn't and wound up selling both as is. But my experiences were sub par with both. Even though I liked them they were definitely not top-of-the-line guitars in my opinion. I have owned at least a dozen USA and import Jacksons, and all were better quality than the Charvels.
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Oh, and I've owned Fender standard strats with ping floyds, and those seemed to hold up VERY well.
                      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        Based on the saddles, it also looks like Gibson uses them on the Les Paul Axcess and Fender uses them on the EVH (with a EVH logo) - correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

IMO - they sound fine and seem to be made well, but you do need the German bar - its heavier, longer and and stays tight as long as you don't get a wobbly one.
                        I do have an axcess and I can absolutely say with 100% certainty that gibson uses the korean trem on that model as well.

Both my axcess and my socal are just fine, even after 60+ shows on both of them. I am the type to want the best of everything but so far I haven't had much excuse to justify swapping out to the german version.
                        Proud endorser of:
                        Steve Clayton Inc. http://www.steveclayton.com
                        GLS Audio http://www.glsaudio.com
                        Orange County Speaker http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fatstrat View Post
                          there's no such thing as wasted money on a floyd. I have 9 spare ofr's and I somehow feel that I should have more....just in case....
                          Wow...now suddenly I feel like a slacker for only having two MIG spares...

Comment

Originally posted by maltomario View Post
                            I do have an axcess and I can absolutely say with 100% certainty that gibson uses the korean trem on that model as well.

Thanks gibson, I too noticed this when i played one. for $3000 you should get a real OFR
                            This space for rent

Comment

I just saw where EVH is using the korean floyd as well. another $3k guitar with it. Why would they skimp on that? the peavey's used a Gotoh floyd but it was a great trem
                              This space for rent

Comment

Its apparant to me that all these manufacturers feel the MIK Floyd is just as good as the MIG Floyd and available at a more profitable price.
                                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X