Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Production series hardware - floyd rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
    If OFR are so great why did suhr stop using them? more to be said.

Well played.

I'm not a fan of the OFR. Feels like ass to me, I prefer the Schaller floyds like on the late 80/early 90s J/Cs
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      If OFR are so great why did suhr stop using them? more to be said.
      From the stories I have heard, it was more a supply and demand thing then anything... Schaller couldn't keep up with production. Gotoh's where available, and not a bad copy at that... I have a Gotoh. I can't say it's any better than an OFR, but it's not worse either. Can't go wrong with either one in my humble opnion
      Don

Comment

I agree that the Gotoh Floyd isn't that bad...But, I can feel the difference between them and I have to say that the Schaller is the ticket no matter what. When i set them up, they just flutter for ever..... The Gotoh is good, but not great
        Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkicker View Post
          One simple question..

If theses Korean floyds are so great then why aren't they on the custom shop guitars? Nuf said.
          Because or else they wouldn't be able to justify charging $2500 for them

Comment

I say trash them all and bring back the mighty JT-6
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
              No problems with the Korean Floyd here.
              Me neither. The screws are a little rough-turning but not much worse than a German made one. I think Floyd Rose quality has been dropping altogether since the 2000's. At least these seem to be cheap enough to keep the price of the guitar down. Personally, I think the best quality version is the Schaller or Gotoh one that Peavey uses. I'm anxious to see how the EVH signature one looks...

Comment

I think the Floyd on my San Dimas 1 is as good as any of my USA Jackson stuff. I have had no problems at all & I am 100% satisfied plus I still have a little cash in my pocket book.

Comment

The floyd on my production SoCal has been great - no complaints here. If you don't like it, you can still pick up one of these guitars and replace the floyd and still come out cheaper than a custom.

Comment

I have mixed feeling so far on the Korean Floyd. The fine tuners are definitely not as smooth as a German made Floyd, but maybe over time, and a little 3 in 1 oil, they may free up. As far as the rest of it goes, I can't really say anything bad. Seems pretty solid, and stays in tune well. I guess the big test will be over time to see how well they hold up. I think we all know how the German Floyds hold up
                    Don

Comment

I replaced my stock Korean Floyd with an OFR, and notice a large improvement in quality, and, sustain. Worth every penny to me!
                      '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                      '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                      '98 PRS Custom 22
                      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Good to know; that's what I was looking to c/d; OFR's are relatively inexpensive. IMO, it's a lot more fun to upgrade to precise configs that are dead-on for me personally. As long as the core blocking and tackling is covered (and it is), pound for pound, the USA Prods are kicking major ass.

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                        I replaced my stock Korean Floyd with an OFR, and notice a large improvement in quality, and, sustain. Worth every penny to me!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                          Did you take any measurements of the sustain with the old trem? Is the new one set up exactly the same way down to the last micron?

Aside from wobbly-bar and stiff fine-tuners, has anyone been able to prove the FRT-2000 is as much junk as it's being reported to be?
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Did you take any measurements of the sustain with the old trem? Is the new one set up exactly the same way down to the last micron?

Aside from wobbly-bar and stiff fine-tuners, has anyone been able to prove the FRT-2000 is as much junk as it's being reported to be?

I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, and am more than qualified to measure improved sustain with my ears. Sustain and overall tone improved with the German Floyd. So, to sum it up:

1) Better tone
                            2) Bar not loose
                            3) Fine tuners nice and smooth

I'm happy!
                            '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                            '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                            '98 PRS Custom 22
                            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I hate when I see reference to "better tone.". Tone is subjective. There's different, but better? I don't buy it.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

I've also been playing for over 20 years, and I've had literally hundreds of guitars pass through my house over the years - from Chinese and Indian imports to USA Custom Shops. Of all the ones I've swapped bridges on (which would be about 20), there was no detectable change in sustain that could not also be attributed to differences in the overall setup - bridge height especially. You gotta change the pivot screws as well - even if you don't, they will be adjusted at some point during the swap (i.e. thicker baseplate), and that will affect string height, which affects sustain.

Acoustic properties may change, but that has little effect on the actual sustain of a note. I've had Schaller-made JT590s that I swapped for Schaller-made OFRs and while the strings sounded brighter with the OFR, there was no change in the overall mass of the bridge, so no change in sustain.

GT - I'm sure he's referring to "better tone than it had with the other bridge". In that case, you can state "better", as there's something concrete to compare. However, the sustain issue is debatable IMO.

Regarding the FRT-2000, I still have not seen any evidence they are indeed lower-quality than the Schallers. Yes, China/Korea/Taiwan have a reputation of making cheap junk that breaks easily. However, aren't these the same people that have been around longer than most of Europe combined?
                                Given that fact, I think they might know a little something about building things that last. Great Wall, anyone? Yes, if you tell them you want them to build something cheap, they'll build it cheap. And if you want them to build something right, for a low price, they can do that as well.
                                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                                X