• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOT!!!...

Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarzandstuff View Post
      Well after bringing it home, it sounds great, looks great but damn it's a f**kin pencil neck at best! Very disappointed!! Great guitar but not sure if I'll bond with it and at $1900 that's a letdown. I own 25 guitars and none are even close to the skinny neck on this... I've owned many Jacksons and Charvels before, and WTF?? Check my Sign up date (2003) I've owned them b4. Is this what they call the "speedneck"?

Oh well.. <sadly slinks away from the computer>
      yeah these are unfortunately thin. The neck on mine is the same profile as on my zebra (limited run of 18). They are a lot skinner than other necks that I own (both new and old). Like you I prefer beefier neck, so my flames (and zebra) do not get as much play time as my other Charvels for this very reason!
      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Well I played around with it tonight and it's a great piece, just the neck is going to take some getting used to.

Questions:

Do I play this and try to like it? ...after 30 years of playing I am sure I can adapt somewhat.

Do I put it away since I have other guitars?

Do I try to sell it and recoup?

Do I....???

Comment

Originally posted by gtrbuyer View Post
          yeah these are unfortunately thin. The neck on mine is the same profile as on my zebra (limited run of 18). They are a lot skinner than other necks that I own (both new and old). Like you I prefer beefier neck, so my flames (and zebra) do not get as much play time as my other Charvels for this very reason!
          Thanks for the solidarity bro!!!

\m/

Comment

Give Tommy at USA Custom Guitars a call he can make you a ball bat neck.
            I have a reverse strat head neck he made and its very chunky.I have another one of his necks on my bullseye model 2 mutt and its a ball bat with a strat head.Tommy uses some nice ebony too.BTW his fret work kicks ass.
            Last edited by straycat; 11-01-2007, 11:49 PM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You've owned alot of Charvels and Jacksons in the past and your pissed it doesn't have a Gibson '59 profile? What C/J's have you owned? None, save the Morton and the EVH, have a baseball bat neck. None that I can think of. What did you expect?

Not to bust your balls but Charvels are not known for their thick necks. Never have been...

I would sell it. Why? Becuase I've had issues like yours and never have gotten over it until I sold the offender. That's my 2 cents...

Another reason why some won't buy off the internet. Gotta feel that neck before plunking down the cash...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Congrats on the purchase. It isnt too often I get to see my art after the guitar is all put together.
                Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I love playing all profiles of necks, to me part of the fun of buying over the internet is seeing how the neck feels after it arrives.

Two of my main players are complete opposites one has a thin neck other is baseball bat.

Comment

I believe you should always try a guitar first before you lay out a large amount of cash in my opinion. The reason I play Charvels is due to the thin neck profile. I've just sold my SL2H as the neck was just too thick for me and replaced it with a SD re-issue. If I were you, I would sell the guitar on as it's a lot of money tied up, just sat around not being played.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      You've owned alot of Charvels and Jacksons in the past and your pissed it doesn't have a Gibson '59 profile? What C/J's have you owned? None, save the Morton and the EVH, have a baseball bat neck. None that I can think of. What did you expect?

Not to bust your balls but Charvels are not known for their thick necks. Never have been...

I would sell it. Why? Becuase I've had issues like yours and never have gotten over it until I sold the offender. That's my 2 cents...

Another reason why some won't buy off the internet. Gotta feel that neck before plunking down the cash...
                      From what I cna remember, I've owned 1 USA RR1, 3 USA Soloists, 1 USA Dinky/Lightning graphic, 1 Charvel 475, 1 Charvel 650XL, I USA Scott Ian... so that defaintely makes a few. I wasn't looking for a '59 profile, just something more like a Jackson Soloist I guess...

I did play an EVH Black and Yellow a few months back and thats what got me jonesing for a Charvel...

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                        Congrats on the purchase. It isnt too often I get to see my art after the guitar is all put together.
                        Mike, I can honestly say that your flame work makes this guitar possibly worth keeping. Amazing job!!!!

Comment

Charvels and Jackson Dinky's all have pretty much "thin" necks. I play Gibson Historics as well and just about everything in between. My new Charvel is .750" at the first fret and .850 at the 12th. Pretty skinny. I just adapt to each guitar as it's own unique personality. It takes a different technique and a little mental check, but everything is fine going from Chunky to Super thin!
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                            I just adapt to each guitar as it's own unique personality. It takes a different technique and a little mental check, !
                            Good post!! I need to open my mind a lbit more... LOL! It really is a sweet guitar and I will "Learn" to love!!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarzandstuff View Post
                              Good post!! I need to open my mind a lbit more... LOL! It really is a sweet guitar and I will "Learn" to love!!
                              :ROTF: Great one! Yeah, you should see me going from my '57 LP Gold Top to the Charvel. It's like what happened here?:ROTF: A little adjustment and I'm off to the races.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I know what you mean, the profile on my SL2H neck is a little thicker than the "norm' and one of the reasons I love it.
                                I played Tracys version of what you have and I don't remember it feeling all that thin (I actually really liked that one.), but overall I think I prefer the neck profiles on the pointies (especially the early ones).
                                I'd keep it for a while, you can get used to it easy enough, and if you decide you don't like it , sell.
                                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                                X