My CS Charvel's neck is warped...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
    I really and truly believe that many figured necks need a hard finish to keep them stable.
    or graphite/carbon fiber rods in them.

sorry man, i hope you get some satisfaction out of it.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Do flamed maple necks have similar issues? I am asking because if they remake the neck I probably dont want birdseye again and may just go with flamed or plain maple. Whatever is stable.

Comment

I have never had a problem with the construction of either birdseye or curly maple. The key is to makes sure that the wood is completely stable before the construction of the neck.
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I've never had a problem either mate..that sucks..I hope they get it right for you and soon! That is one killer guitar!

Comment

Back when I was Wolfgang fan I had three of them... Two never gave me any grief with the Birdseye... One had issues for months. It didn't warp, but it shrunk, and had to have the ends of the frets leveled. I used a humidifier at all times in the guitar room... But it still shrunk.
            I would have to agree with the above statement about the Birdseye needing to be fully stable before being used.

Comment

yeah my Warmonth BE Tele neck is fully gloss finished.

I like that though.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Quartersawn maple should be the most stable. flame, quilt, birdeye & any figured maples can be considered unstable for necks. you may want to look into satin finish for the neck.

Comment

Why haven't any of the big companies started to using the double-acting truss rods? Yeah you have to route a deeper channel, but you don't have to route a complex circular shape. To me it seems that if you have control over back and forward bow, these type problems go away. I understand that the truss rods were first introduced on acoustic guitars where strings are very heavy and pull with alot more force. This almost always causes the neck to need a truss rod to help straighten the neck. But, with string gauges getting lighter and lighter I would think the advantages of a double acting truss rod are somewhat obvious. Oh well, they must have their reasons. Anway, hope they make the situation right - and in a timely manner.

Comment

Flame maple can be quarter sawn...

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                      Why haven't any of the big companies started to using the double-acting truss rods? Yeah you have to route a deeper channel, but you don't have to route a complex circular shape. To me it seems that if you have control over back and forward bow, these type problems go away. I understand that the truss rods were first introduced on acoustic guitars where strings are very heavy and pull with alot more force. This almost always causes the neck to need a truss rod to help straighten the neck. But, with string gauges getting lighter and lighter I would think the advantages of a double acting truss rod are somewhat obvious. Oh well, they must have their reasons. Anway, hope they make the situation right - and in a timely manner.
                      Does Jackson/Charvel not use a double-acting truss rod???
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I would assume AK47s doesn't have one or the neck back bow should be easy to straighten. If its warped however, not much hope.
                        I really don't know what Jackson uses. I adjusted the truss rod on my Y2KV a year ago and I am pretty sure it wasn't double acting. I will have to check that tonight. Most of the Fenders are still the single acting. I know they had the bi-flex in the late 80's, but I don't know if they still do that.
                        I have to believe that the custom shop run that Matt did of the "not artist similar Jake E. Lee" guitar was a single acting truss rod. I have not seen anyone making double acting with a bullet adjust nut.
                        I would be interested to know if anyone knows which models have double acting. I bought my Y2kv off of ebay, but the others came from Vwall and the Music Zoo and I have never touched the truss rods ( and they play killer). Any info out there?
                        Last edited by ulijdavid; 07-15-2008, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Curious? Any resolution on this yet?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            My SD King V is definitely a single action rod

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony7 View Post
                              Curious? Any resolution on this yet?

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86979

Comment

It got the fretboard milled and refretted. The nut was shimmed. It was fixed.

I ended up trading it to Guitar Showcase since I had a balance on a Alembic custom order so it worked out better for me that way in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X