My CS Charvel's neck is warped...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CS Charvel's neck is warped...

Yes the one I just got. The one in the avatar.

Let me tell you the story, first I ordered this strat head when the S-head option became available 14 months later it arrived from Matts to me about two weeks ago.

I went to play it and all the strings were not buzzing but laying on the frets it was unplayable. I did not think nothing of it and thought all it needed was a truss rod adjustment. I wanted to take it to a Tech I could trust and would not be affiliated with Fender so I did not get a run around.

I paid almost 30 dollars out of pocket, no big deal to me. I took it to Torres Enginearing in San Mateo, California a well established Tech with years of experience a website and all that, look him up on Google.

He told me and put it in writing today that the neck has a severe back bow to it and is only playable if the action is set high. He went on to tell me in his opinion for a brand new CS guitar this is unacceptable.

I am more dissappointed than angry as I had waited forever for this guitar I know Matt will take care of me but I am worried about what FMIC will say...

I am hoping for a new neck, a guitar with high action is useless to me.

I will update this thread when I hear more.

Last edited by AK47; 07-12-2008, 05:26 PM.

Damn dude, I am so sorry to hear this. Gorgeous looking piece and you waited so long.
    I have not doubt whatsoever that Matt will do everyhting in his power to work it out.
    But good Lord that J/C shop has some serious issues....
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

wow, the hits just keep on coming.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Man, that stinks. Sorry to hear that.

Comment

I had a talk with my tech today about neck issues. I brought in a GMP with the frets hanging over the side, cutting up my hands. He said to me that 50% of all the guitars around the shop were being brought in for seasonal neck issues. He said my neck literally shrank in the last few weeks with weather changes.

Anyway, this is different than a neck with a bow that can't be treated, even if the culprit is the same.

Comment

Is the neck plain or figured maple?

Nevermind, just did a search and saw pics of the dreaded birdseye maple.

I had a birdseye strathead neck do the same thing right out of the box, and have heard of a few others as well. I will NEVER EVER order another figured neck from anyone. Not worth the hassle. If they don't outright backbow, they at least move a hell of alot more with the weather, causing more pain than they're worth IMO.

Sorry to hear it, the guitar is absolutely gorgeous.

Comment

Man sorry to hear this, but at least the silver lining is that its not a
              neck thru! You have at least options. Killer HRF, so maybe you can
              get a neck replacement you like better? Again...hope it works out
              for you in a TIMELY MANNER!

Comment

I really and truly believe that many figured necks need a hard finish to keep them stable.

Very sorry to hear this. The neck is drop dead gorgeous. I hope J/C takes care of it for you in a timely manner. Unfortunately, though, from personal expereince I can say that you should expect a long wait.

Comment

I had a talk with my tech today about neck issues. I brought in a GMP with the frets hanging over the side, cutting up my hands. He said to me that 50% of all the guitars around the shop were being brought in for seasonal neck issues. He said my fretboard literally shrank in the last few weeks with weather changes.

Anyway, this is different than a neck with a bow that can't be treated, even if the culprit is the same.

Comment

ak47 - sorry to hear about your troubles. i hope it works out for you.

danastas - you need to buy a humidifier.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

ak47, if you send it back for warranty, there's some things that can be done to fix so that you don't have to wait for a new neck with a matching head.

that totally sucks, but i'm wth ralph; figured neck woods almost need graphite rods in them.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

sorry to hear that because that guitar looked killer. I know what you mean about figured woods. My new GMW guitar has some nice birdseye and it took about a month here on the east coast with me tweaking it almost weekly before she settled in. Thankfully it was not as severe as yours but it took some tweaking to get her playable.
                        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

That really sucks! I remember somebody starting a thread a while ago saying that Charvel should stop making the pointy heads. It seems to me that the pointy heads are the only Charvels without these damn quality control issues.
                          I'm glad I didn't order a custom Charvel. I'd be really nervous now with all the problems that I've been hearing about.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            +1. Seems to have reversed/cured my protruding fret end problems.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              ak47 - sorry to hear about your troubles. i hope it works out for you.

Yep I do have one but this was a recent arrival. I thought it was shoddy worksmanship at first (a first for a GMP) but my tech assured me that it wasn't. It was the weather change in shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X