THE PRE PROS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE PRE PROS

hey sweeper..e-mail me with any pics you have of a kv..im in the market for another cool jackson

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by THESWEEPER:

I have several pre-pro's and 2 stratheads and anyone out there who thinks for a millisecond that they were built to spec (exactly alike) is not on the same page as I am or that Wayne was.

Uh, what does Wayne have to do with pre-pro's???
      Answer: NOTHING!!! He was gone in Nov. 1978. Wayne like to blow a lot of smoke up peoples asses on this subject.

Comment

So Greg, what would you call a guitar that Wayne put together and sold before Grover bought him out? Or are you saying that he never did that.

Comment

EVH Black & White with a Pickguard is one of the earliest Pre Pros that you will find. It is the the second SUPERSTRAT that EVH made. Yes the second....
          The first was a Fender pre CBS black strat that EVH put a Gibson PAF hum in...This white and black striped is the first Charvel superstrat in which Wayne Charvel supplied the Lynn Ellsworth body and neck to EVH. EVH put the frets in under Lynn's instructions and assembled/painted the guitar and chisel routed it for the hum himself. EVH rekindled the graphic idea for guitars and started the Charvel Graphic 80s era SUPERSTRAT production. The idea of the superstrat was born from the need for a strat style guitar with a Les Paul type sound. Wayne had a stack of bodies and necks and was the main supplier/distributor and for Boogie Bodies, Warmoth and Schecter. Dave Schecter taught Wayne the art of cutting bodies and necks. Wayne taught Grover Jackson. Grover taught the luthiers that now have reputable Fender & Jackson custom shop positions. Wayne sold out due to ISA and remains friends with respect to the inventor of the superstrat and super playing along with super selling albums and great music for a decade and a half and hopefully more to come. Wayne has a successful guitar mfg company today copying what he started in the first place. Many of the 80s graphic ideas were those of the artist as in the VH guitar and the clients that ordered their custom made and custom painted to their own specs and paint schemes only to be done by the newly owned Charvel Mfg. But Everything about the Charvel Mfg. Is tied back to Wayne Charvels custom shop/parts place and EVH using those parts and using the the EVHII guitar as his main axe for the second tour as did Michael Anthony with his 78 Charvel Bass. Built by Karl Sandoval.

A follow up post is coming up

[ May 07, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Hossman ]

Comment

The Black & Yellow EVHII is a pre serialized - Pre production guitar it is the first of 50 or more unpermitted copyright infringement guitars that even today forgers are still duplicating. This was the start of the production and the start for graphic Charvels. I know of only 2 other real Charvel exact stripe paterns in existance. When the cease and decist order was served, the only natural option was to take orders for other graphics. Sorry we cannot do those EVHs, OK a bullseye or a Spider web? sure that would be cool we can make anything except a Van Halen graphic guitar. Around Jan of 1981 the first full color catalog/flyer was to be out featuring various artist guitars. As we all know the full serialized production models came out in Nov of 1981. They almost had the icon they needed badly but the had him by word of mouth and not contract so it didnt matter as nearly everyone in the pro guitarist world had a charvel or two. EVH used the Charvel/boodie bodies body up until the late 80s until he got his own Ernie Ball design. He never recorded with a Krammer, but Krammer got him and J/C did not. He only appeared in public with them as he was paid to do so. He appear in public and recorded with Charvels because he liked the guitars until Him and Jackson had issues.

Now is it clear??

[ May 07, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Hossman ]

Comment

From the Rob Lane/Grover Jackson/Hossman website:

Using a liberal creative approach Grover came up with an assets list that nearly matched the purchase price and the deal was consummated on November 10, 1978. Wayne ceased coming immediately and by January of 1979 both Karl and Mark had decided to move on. Lisa had left the prior summer. At the time of the sale and Wayne's departure no production guitars were being made or had been made and in fact not a single neck had been produced by the company. It would be several months and quite a few sleepless nights before the first necks were produced.

There you have it, at the time Grover took over, Wayne had NOT produced a single guitar built from parts manufactured by Charvel. Wayne may have screwed somebody elses neck to somebody elses body and called it his own but that doesn't count in my book.

Comment

In fact the Osram pin routers that were bought to make necks were brand new and still coverd when Grover bought Wayne out. They were never installed and fired up.
                So Wayne sold Eddie a body and suddenly Wayne Charvel made all those guitars for Eddie!

Comment

I remember reading an article interview with VH where he states he was getting necks from wayne, this was back pre 79.... is this incorrect?
                  It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

The interview...

http://archive.guitarplayer.com/arch...nhalen80.shtml

Excerpt...

Is this where you got the wood for your first homemade guitar?

Yeah, this very first one was the black-and-white striped one on the first album. I went to Charvel and had them rout a body out for just one pickup and one volume knob. I had to cut my own pickguard to cover everything up because it was originally a three-pickup Strat body. I used the vibrato tailpiece from a '58 Strat for that guitar. I also had Charvel make me a really wide neck. I hate skinny necks. I like it bare wood because I hate to slip and slide when I start stretching strings. Now at the same time, I built what I call my shark guitar, which is actually one of the first Ibanez Destroyers [shaped like Gibson Explorer] made out of Korina wood. I made the mistake of taking a chainsaw to it and putting a bunch of weird stuff on it.....

Comment

Remember fellers that Wayne was getting all the wood parts from Linn Elsworth (boogie bodies). So was Mighty Mite, Schecter, DiMarzio, and everyone else on the planet during that time. Wayne didn't shape the wood, he either put 'em on existing guitars or built complete guitars out of the wood.

Wayne was a builder/repairman/modification man. At that time he was not running a woodshop creating necks and bodies from planks.

This is part of the confusion when you see conflicting reports when guys like EVH and Lynch say "boogie neck" "boogie body" "mighty mite neck"
                      "Charvel body" They are all right answers. Regardless of what they called them...they all came out of the same woodshop. This is pretty well documented so I don't see where the confusion lies.
                      www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I think a lot of the confusion stems from the interviews like the one quoted from Eddie whrere he says he "...had Charvel make a really wide neck..." when in fact Charvel didn't make it at all, simply had one made or had one and sold it to him.
                        Remember, Eddie probably never gave a truthful interview in his life.

Comment

yeah like my amp tech told me, when Eddie first came out & told everyone about the use of the variac with his marshalls, & said he upped the voltage. well alot of guys made my old tech a busy man during that time, he lowered the voltage upping the voltage does BAD BAD things to amps.

Comment

I think the Wayne Charvel site says Wayne gave eddy the body that became the VHI guitar. Wayne said it was an old body that he made. I read another story at eruption.com that he got the body from Elsworth.

Bret, Until last year I thought Wayne made my Charvel. I was and still am uninformed over the history of how it all came to be. The first 2 things I read regarding the history was wayneguitars.com and your site.

Better informed people than I argue over Waynes input. I did read somewhere he said he was making bodies and necks back in the day. I will try to hunt that down.

Comment

It would be nice if some of this stuff could be brought in to focus.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey Hossman, Eddie Sure used those Kramers live..... just about EVERY night......for EIGHT years...... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

His main Franky had a KRAMER neck, and (Kramer) Floyd Rose, for EIGHT years...

He recorded "Live Without a Net" with a Kramer....

I don't think Eddie was ever "paid" to play Kramers.....He owned a percentage of the company.

How is the B&Y guitar a Copyright infringed guitar? According to Tim Wilson there was NEVER any cease and desist on that “graphic”. (The cease and desist may have to do with the fact they used Eddie’s NAME!!!!!!)

I was under the impression the black pre-CBS Strat had a Boogie Bodies Body and Ed replaced the neck and oversprayed it with white (creating the graphic.).....Which would make it (still) the first guitar...... (?)

Warmoth didn’t become “Warmoth” till after Wayne left Charvel. So how could he be their distributor?

None of Eddies Charvels had a "made by Charvel" neck.....MAYBE a body......

I don’t believe Grover EVER had Eddie on board. Word of mouth or otherwise. He was slamming Charvel BAD by mid 1979.

Bret,

Why do you think Mighty Mite and Schecter were getting their parts from Boogie Bodies?

DiMarzio got Boogie Bodies parts? They weren’t even doing bodies and necks when Wayne had Charvel Mfg.

I have read that Wayne DID cut some bodies, and DID help David Schecter make some necks.

-eric

[ May 07, 2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: abalonevintage ]

Comment

I don't think anyone will know the real truth, It has been to long and there are way to many stories out there.
                                www.kiddhavok.com
                                www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Working...
                                X