The EVHII Holy Grail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The EVHII Holy Grail

Hey Pete your the one who's being touchy. I just remarked that maybe you were too young to be around to realize just what an impact John had on every guitar player when he came out. This is not even a value judgement on my part but I did get to hear the Mahavishnu Orchestra in their formative years as the played an extended gig at the Cafe AU GoGo here in the Village to get their act together, which was pretty amazing. I would have to say that Jeff Beck probably influenced me more because it was the early Yardbirds that got me playing guitar and those first influences last forever. Larry Carlton is another good one though I didn't go through a Steely Dan phase. Did you ever work off of the Charlie Parker Omnibook? Thats a good one for bop phrasing. Oh yeah Charlie Christian had a book out on his solos too which I think they reissued but I have the original. If you want me to xerox it I will and then we can really talk about him [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I would love to check that CC stuff out... and I'm not being touchy either, I guess reading words doesn't carry inflections/etc over.

Of course, if this were the ESP board, it would get much uglier [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey Yoga - I would *love* to hear you play. If you have anything recorded that you could email me or I could buy or have sent or whatever... I'm crazy curious as to what you sound like, with your experiences, I'm sure it would be a treat.

Pete

Comment

hey yoga, is the female uncle meat suzy cream cheese? i think that his compostions were fairly amazing, 12 tone row or not. and i don't think it was something so simple as creating music by pounding on a keypad. my opinion of course. frank also said some guys shouldn't do drugs and jimmy hendrix and eddie van halen are examples of that. but what does any of this have to do with the holy grail of guitars? nothing!
        so i'll stop now!

robert

Comment

Suzy Creamcheese was a different person.Please don't get me wrong about Frank. He was amazing and an icon but sometimes you've got to take what he says somewhat tongue in cheek because I don't think he would even asses himself as being humble.

Comment

I wanna hear you play too, Yoga...

Comment

I just read through this entire thread...wow.

Regurgitate (sp) away a year and a half later [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So, EVH played japanese Floyds attached to Boogie Bodies bodies and God knows what necks, and he was pissed at somebody too?

Ask the roadie - he's got some good answers [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

This is by far the most informative thread I have read on this board. Thanks to the contributors. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] There have been at least two 'real' charvel strat head pre-pro EVH II's up on evil bay (yes it is evil) in the past 24 months and I am glad I passed on both...most likely I would have been burned either on price or components without the depth of knowledge displayed on this thread.
                As a side note though...I thought the so-called 'brown' sound was derived from Jimi Hendrix's work in the late 60's using the marshall plexi amps of the time, which EVH picked up on and some would argue perfected. Just my 2 cents. Thanks again.

Comment

Yeah Steve, crazy informative stuff! A good thread to resurrect. I learned some stuff...like that I apparently own the very first black FLoyd ever made which belonged to Ed and somehow ended up at a flea market in Pierre, S. Dakota in 1988. Amazing! Ummm....of course the previous statement is not true in any way but....

Comment

Originally posted by tmdiamond:
                    Yeah Steve, crazy informative stuff! A good thread to resurrect. I learned some stuff...like that I apparently own the very first black FLoyd ever made which belonged to Ed and somehow ended up at a flea market in Pierre, S. Dakota in 1988. Amazing! Ummm....of course the previous statement is not true in any way but....
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You guys are a pretty damn knowledgeable bunch. This makes for some very interesting reading, thanks for the posts!

Matt
                      Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

• Here's some pics of my EVHII Charvel!

Killer Cooooool Thread!!

Aloha, Carlos from Carlos' Performance Guitars, Aiea, Hawaii

Comment

• You found the Flux Capacitor

Comment

• Love that one...

Comment

• Great guitar, and cool old thread.

Wonder how Hoss and Yoga are doing now.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

• Here is my old Pre........ I sold it to a member here. The neck pocket had " B&Y #6 " written in it. IMHO, thos is the best stripe pattern I have seen on one of these.

" I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                                X