Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel San Dimas Custom Shop Guitars Populari

I've got news for you guys....

the USA Selects and the custom shop guitars are made by the same people using the SAME construction methods, set up by the same people and the same amount of time is spent on them as far as sanding, painting, detailing, set up etc. THERE IS ZERO DIFFERENCE....ZERO...PERIOD, End of story. Anyone who says differently doesn't know what they are talking about.

What's the difference then??

The difference is that each CS piece must be babysat (meaning mostly that more attention has to be paid to the workorder for special knob placement, pickups, graphics etc) through the construction process....and that's only because it is something different thatn the normal runs i.e. SL2H's, SL1's, RR1's etc.

THEY ARE THE SAME QUALITY.

Here's another revelation. I don't buy this crap about 'the San Dimas Era guitars are better...' To me that's bullsh*t.

I've owned a few Jacksons and Charvels over the years and I don't see any difference in quality from then to now...if anything I think the newer ones are a little better overall because of the poly finishes these days.

I've played some bad guitars from both eras...but that is the same with any manufacturer....No?
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Back to the original observation by eddyrox, I see a big factor in the new Charvels not moving is one can easily find an original pointy SD for much cheaper than a new custom shop order. Or restated, why buy a reissue when an original is cheaper. Now strat-heads are completely different.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        the same amount of time is spent on them as far as sanding, painting, detailing, set up etc. THERE IS ZERO DIFFERENCE....ZERO...PERIOD

[/ QUOTE ]

mahogany 3 piece neck
        binding over fret ends
        custom fretboad end
        25 frets
        pinstriping down the back of the neck
        color matching the bevels to the binding

I would say that they'll be spending a considerable amount MORE time getting my guitar built and ready than any USA Select batch guitar. Maybe not much more time sanding, painting, and detailing, but in overall build time, definitely.

I agree with you on the quality though. The "San Dimas Quality is much higher" is BS. A great guitar is a great guitar, whether it was built in Japan, as a USA Select, or custom ordered. I've had Charvel MIJ Model guitars play better than many of the SD guitars I've played. *shrug*
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

> Here is my opinion on it. To me,the price seems to have gone DOWN some since I became a fan of the brand. I once looked at a purple checkerboard Soloist (I wholeheartedly think pics of the same one showed up here recently) at Akron Music in about 86-87. The price tag was 2295.00,no discount for cash,which seemed astronomical. A similar quality SL1/2 can be bought for 17-1800,minus the upcharge for a graphic,understanding that the checkerboard finish was a CS piece,which would be like 3500 now. maybe it's just me,but standard USA Selects appear to have come down even with the recent 15% price hike compared to then. On the other hand,there is no friggin' way I'd pay the price for a new Dimas,which in single hum format is basically an ebony board Model 2,with wood that might not be as good as a Model 2. Tommy D.
          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

they were all like custom guitars in the beginning. when i first saw them in the music store the guy had 1 or 2 at the most and if you wanted some thing else you orderd it, paid the high price and waited. they were hard to get and they were all special. nobody had them because they cost way to much. you lusted after them and dreamed about the day you would have enough money to get one and thats what fender is counting on now. guys like me who couldnt get one when i was 15 and now that im 37(damn im old)i can but i got to be honest some of the magic seems to be gone with the whole corporate giant takeover thing. not that the quality isnt going to be great but it just doesnt seem like the uniqueness is there anymore. hell you might as well get a anderson for the kind of money fender is wanting. at least they are still a small company owned by a guy that loves guitars and wants to build something special. like wayne and grover did when it all started. dont get me wrong i love charvels i just dont think im willing to spend that kind of money on something that is that mass produced

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I would say that they'll be spending a considerable amount MORE time getting my guitar built and ready than any USA Select batch guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, Mike! Yeah, you got that super-duper fretboard end shaping going on, but... NO INLAYS!! What about that, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Methinks that'd cut the time down considerably! Then you're back to <gasp> the same amount of time on your Custom Shop as a USA Select! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Re: Charvel San Dimas CS Guitars Popularity

No routing for a bridge pup either!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Re: Charvel San Dimas CS Guitars Popularity

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] funny guy you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Well, think of all the time they're gonna spend cutting and laminating three pieces of mahogany for the neck, and that should compensate for the lack of inlays [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                  X