Charvel San Dimas Custom Shop Guitars Popularity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel San Dimas Custom Shop Guitars Popularity

Question for the masses: Is it me or does it seem like the Charvel inventories of the more "popular" dealers (DCGL, WWG, MM, EG) are either still carrying the same inventory or are completely deleted of anything? If true, is it due to the 30 and 40-something's being the main demographic for these guitars? (I know I fit in there! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

I was also reading in the jackson/charvel section that many of the requests to the jackson/charvel guys is to get endorsees who appeal to a "younger" crowd, and endorsees who can actually play (and possess the chops that the guitarists that us 30 and 40-something's idolize/respect)
    Thoughts?

Re: Charvel San Dimas Custom Shop Guitars Popularity

I honestly think that these new Charvels are slow sellers. I have seen the same guitars sitting around these sites since they came out. Look at all the 25th or Bullseyes still sitting at the dealers. When I tried to sell my bullseye a while ago, it was horrible the offers I was getting for it. The most I ever got offered was from Europe and it still was in the low thousand dollar area. When they 1st announced the EVH productions I called my regular dealer(who gives me really good prices) and I was given an amount not much better than MAP. Called 3 days ago and was given a price thats in line with my regular discounts. Maybe it is just that paticular model wich seems to have a backlash against it.
    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

It's going to take a while to reestablish a brand that's basically been defunct for the better part of two decades, don't 'ya think? And by "while" I mean years, not months.

Hopefully they give it the time it will take with the dedication it deserves. For the most part, so far so good, though. (...Well, except for the no custom stratheads policy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

Comment

For me it's dollars and cents. They are to over priced for what they are. These are not 20 year old guitar found in untouched condition. They are new. Granted Charvels were not cheap the first time around. But as was stated above they know there major demographic is the 30 to 40somethings that loved the original SD Charvels. On average we can afford more than a younger demographhic. I shouldn't have to pay more because a bean counter says I can.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I shouldn't have to pay more because a bean counter says I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
          [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

amen, brotha, amen!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I shouldn't have to pay more because a bean counter says I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to pay more because the bean counter knows you will.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Re: Charvel San Dimas Custom Shop Guitars Populari

personally i havent been able to play one yet when they show up i will probably buy one but i dont want to order one without playing one first

Comment

The thing for me is that they do seem pretty expensive for what (in many cases) is essentially a pretty striped down guitar (no figured woods, fancy inlays etc). I would like one, and maybe I'm misinformed, but Jacksons seem just seem to give more bang for the buck....
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I think that Fender is really marketing these things to the older crowd for now and keeping the prices high accordingly. They have done there homework and know the market. The other thing is that the one thing that mass marketing does require IMHO is some inexpesive models so that the kiddies can buy one for the "name". However, that thinking is what contributed in part to the destruction of Charvel in the first place. Look at PRS. They make what some people consider to be execellent guitars (if I want a gibson, I will buy one, but that is me) and PRS only recently started pushing lower end models AFAIK.

The other issue is that Fender is hedging its bets going forward without doing much to really push things. Right now, the average younger musician will go for an ibanez or fender because thats what they see so and so playing. However, since these things go in phases, if the next generation of so-and-sos start playing Charvel or Jackson "hot rod" guitars again, then those guitars will take off like they did back in the day. Since Fender now has Jackson/Charvel, they do not care when the transition occurs because then win either way. They will just let things go the way they are and react to the market as need be.

Just my thoughts.
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Well said RRo5xx! Right On! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

its a little early to judge the success of the relaunch untill they are actually out in the stores. most people arent going to order a 1500 guitar off a website. and when they get the production up and running fullsteam you will probably see fender start signing up more endorsement deals but why do it now when you dont really have alot of product ready to sell anyway

Comment

Maybee the bean counters need to take into consideration that the 30 and 40 something deomographics that were in their teens and twenties in 1983 are in different life situations than they were when they were living at home, loads of free time, etc. Now the 30's and 40's have offspring, mortgage, significant others, and have hopefully matured in their outside interests. Is it more important to better take care of your family and be in the moment, send your kids to good schools, live in a nice neighborhood, etc. than live at your parent's house with posters of Maiden and Priest on the wall? Therefore, the music thing is ususally a hobby now for the 30's and 40's and is not a life requirement. How many are willing to go in debt for hobbies? Guitars should be priced accordingly. They are trying to sell you back your youth and think that the higher price will only make you want the guitars more. A lot of times, this has the opposite effect.

The rock scene is much different these days; ie: the music that you associate with Charvels is not the same music that is "popular" today. No "current disciples" of Ratt, no Motley, no VH with DLR, etc. Where is the 2004 equivalent of the early 80's? I can't get interested in some of these no talent aggressive 80th copy Metallica wannabees with their poorly crafted songs. These guitars are kind of like fancy reminders of youth for those that grew up in the late 70's / early to mid 80's.

Sadly, no one today is making millions playing Charvels on record and stage. But no talent street thugs seem to be all the rage. It was never "I want my BET - it was I want my MTV!"

Comment

Some very good points in this thread . These guitars are selling to 30-40's age group who are in a positive financial position .
                          They are selling because of the 80's and not the 00's which is sad . They are only just being marketed again so it will take time and I hope FMIC has the patience .
                          There are a lot of session guitarists who tour with huge Bands who play hotrodded Strats . Why not get them using the original hotrod strat .What about some of the country session guys for a bit of exposure . Before I get flamed and laughed at "Dan Huff" for example.
                          What about Blink 182 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] JK!! They only deserve a plank of wood with no hardware or strings.
                          Anyway , I am not in marketing + the brand will take time .BTW I am in the 30-40's agegroup and will have a Strathead Charvel. Let's see what '05 brings from Charvel . I would like to pick the colour/graphic + hardware myself .
                          On another note , the EVH Charvels don't look like players to me ie for collectors . I know the neckplate seems to be an issue but why have the EVH decal on the front headstock ?
                          It already has the graphics ? To me that decal actually detracts from the guitar . This is only my opinion , but why not put it on the back of the headstock.
                          Forgive me if this has been gone over before
                          Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

You should see the shellacing Charvels get on other forums. People are not amused. We think they are the bee's knee's, but the rest of the guitar world ain't buyin it. Literally.

I applaud Fender for doing this, cause from what I see, if the company was only concerned with the bottom line, Charvel would already be history. Again.

Comment

As a dealer, I'm in a unique situation because of all of you on the JCF. This place is a gathering point for long time/new fans of Jackson/Charvel and I'm lucky to be a part of it. You guys make up a decent portion of my J/C sales and I thank you all for being such good customers.

However, if I wasn't part of this forum I would have a more difficult time selling these guitars. Increased advertising, younger high visibility endorsers and the right price point would all help to increase sales IMO. The bulk of my Charvel sales have been to the "used to have" or "have always wanted but couldn't afford to buy back then" crowd. FMIC will have to create a demand in the younger player if the brand is going to sell better.

If there are any economist types out there, it would be interesting to find out if Charvels today are really more expensive then they were back in the early 80's. After inflation and the consumer price index are figured in, they may actually be pretty much the same price now, that they were then.

Keep in mind that this whole thing is new and FMIC has done some REALLY cool things with this line already. I guarantee the San Dimas reissues and EVH models are just the beginning. The Charvel name was dragged through the mud and FMIC is bringing back a brand name that was dead for years. That can't be an easy task to pull off.

Just my opinion...

Matt
                              Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Working...
                              X