Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel JJ

Hi

I have owned Jackson/Charvels for over twenty years, but am new to the site.

The reason for this post is that I own a JJ1 with a Charvel headstock. I understand that it was purchased from a Guitar Center store in the USA and was said to be from " a private collection". I have done extensive on-line research and contacted Fender twice, without success.

The body is clear varnished Korina was built on 8th July 1998. It has a Schaller bridge with two Seymour Duncan pickups (SD59 & JB). The neck has the three dice at the twelfth fret and a serial number (09 04 JJ) below the 22nd fret. The headstock is fitted with Jackson machine heads, but displays a Charvel logo, see my avatar.

Can anyone give me any information about this wonderful guitar?

Best wishes

AndyNap

Could you post pics?

Comment

Hi

Apologies, but how do I do this?

AndyNap

Comment

Get an account on a free image hosting site (e.g. Imgur). Upload your photos to the hosting site. Get the URL for each photo you want to share and link into a post here on JCFOnline using the image tool from the editor toolbar.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

well I have no useful information to give, but clearly the dice inlays preclude the possibility of a neck swap. a really interesting find! the korina really lends itself well to that body shape. the serial number puts it in the middle of the JJ run, which only adds to the mystery as it means this wouldn't be a prototype or something.
                Last edited by metalhobo; 11-29-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                  well I have no useful information to give, but clearly the dice inlays preclude the possibility of a neck swap. a really interesting find! the korina really lends itself well to that body shape. the serial number puts it in the middle of the JJ run, which only adds to the mystery as it means this wouldn't be a prototype or something.
                  Yeah, feels like possibly a one off custom shop order or a promotional instrument. That guitar has a story I suspect.

Comment

Thanks for your comments. It's a pity that Fender do not appear to take the heritage of Jackson/Charvel more seriously. They seem to have no interest in enquiries like this. Can you suggest any way in which I can find out more information?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyNap View Post
                      Can you suggest any way in which I can find out more information?
                      Grover Jackson (the person, not the company) told me to come here. And I picked up a lot of valuable knowledge over the years. But the place has gone to shit the last year or so.
                      Last edited by pianoguyy; 12-01-2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I found your comment sad, but perhaps not surprising. I have owned Jackson/Charvels for over twenty years. My first was a JDX-94, which replaced a maple neck Fender Strat. The JDX-94 has been my "go to" guitar ever since. It offers more expression and flexibility than any of my other (more expensive) guitars. It is only recently that I have found a guitar that betters it, in terms of my requirements.

Hanging a Jackson or Charvel around your neck is an expression in itself, but the neck with its jumbo frets and the execution of the accessories make them ideal, as far as I am concerned. I play in a band whose repertoire ranges from Def Leppard to the Eagles and my Jackson JDX-94 and Charvel JJ do the business.

I reflected on your comments, which made me think that Leo Fender made a hugely important contribution to guitars in the 1950s, but since then Fender has just rehashed the same theme ever since, a bit like Ground Hog Day. In contrast Jackson/Charvel epitomised Rock 'n' Roll, constantly thinking outside the box. Below, you will find a scan of the Jackson 2000 brochure cover. I think this illustrates more attitude, inspiration and invention than all of the Fender brochures since 1970!

Comment

Did you get a spec sheet, hang tag, or certificate of authenticity with this guitar? Not saying it is not a genuine Charvel, it just might shed some degree of light on the history of this instrument. Production guitars are pretty easy to figure out typically. Spot runs/limited editions tend to be high profile and well documented. One off and custom order instruments are really difficult and this is what I suspect you may have.

Another possibility is that somebody refinished the headstock. Looking at different JJs, the finish on the headstock of the Jackson JJs seems thicker that yours. A headstock refinish could explain that.
                          ​​​​
                          Here are some Jackson branded Korina JJs that are for sale:
                          https://reverb.com/item/8683020-jack...-duncan-custom
                          https://reverb.com/item/10644691-jac...adstock-guitar

Looking at a number of different JJs, they seemed to be pretty free wheeling with the headstock:
                          https://reverb.com/item/25587656-jac...ix-holographic

Here is a Jackson branded JJ MIJ. It does not have Scott Ian’s branding and the ransom logo. It is MIJ: https://reverb.com/item/23945108-jac...uitar-rare-mij
                          Last edited by CaptNasty; 12-01-2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment

A headstock refin was a thought I had before the pics were posted, but the Charvel logo looks inlaid to me. AndyNap, can you confirm whether the Charvel logo is inlaid vs. painted?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              But the place has gone to shit the last year or so.
                              No thanks to guys like me who incessantly post on this forum oblivious to its death spiral. 😅

Comment

Working...
                              X