No announcement yet.

NGD Charvel San Dimas KOA 1995

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that actually Bill Z back on the JCF? All is right with the world again!
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
      Is that actually Bill Z back on the JCF? All is right with the world again!
      MIKE...WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAP!!!

Yeah, I'm hear to rule whatever needs ruling in my presence. These are facts!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Update: After almost a year, I installed the period correct gold hardware, with a new OFR. A new OFR is expensive, but worth it in this case IMHO. Now it looks and plays great! On the hunt for another one...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
        Last edited by laurens; 10-22-2016, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Nice guitar dude.

I may be wrong (it's starting to happen at my age) but it looks to me like yours is a Mahogany example of the SD1.

Yours and the other one pictures are very interesting to me, as until now I've seen the early ones with Jackson plates have a 3-way toggle(my preference), and the later ones with OFR and Charvel plates use a 5-way switch.

The toggle/switch thing notwithstanding, the very earliest of these from 94, like pictured above, had Jackson plates with recess, Schaller Floyds and a skunk stripe in the neck, so the truss rod is accessed at the base of the neck.

The move to new Charvel plates brought the OFR, removal of the neck plate recess, and no skunk stripe with truss rod adjustable at the neck (how I like it).

I love my SD1, it has some type of Dimarzio pickups (my only guitar with Dimarzios) and plays fantastic. Wish it had a 3-way toggle though, lol. Bought it new in 2001 after it had been sitting in the store for years.

Comment

Sorry for my late response, but thanks for the info! Yes, it could be a Mahogany (looking at the Jackson/Charvel price list from 1995). The shop sold it to me as a Koa body, but I think they copied some info from the internet. How can you tell (or check) if it is Mahogany?

Regardless of wood species, it does sound warmer than the standard alder bodies I had so far. I have put a SD JB in it, and it rocks.

I also have a San Dimas IV now (see my other thread). That body should be Koa (with quilted maple top). The neck is a lot fatter than my San Dimas I. Perhaps the IV was meant for a different crowd?

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
            Nice guitar dude.

I may be wrong (it's starting to happen at my age) but it looks to me like yours is a Mahogany example of the SD1.

Yours and the other one pictures are very interesting to me, as until now I've seen the early ones with Jackson plates have a 3-way toggle(my preference), and the later ones with OFR and Charvel plates use a 5-way switch.

The toggle/switch thing notwithstanding, the very earliest of these from 94, like pictured above, had Jackson plates with recess, Schaller Floyds and a skunk stripe in the neck, so the truss rod is accessed at the base of the neck.

The move to new Charvel plates brought the OFR, removal of the neck plate recess, and no skunk stripe with truss rod adjustable at the neck (how I like it).

I love my SD1, it has some type of Dimarzio pickups (my only guitar with Dimarzios) and plays fantastic. Wish it had a 3-way toggle though, lol. Bought it new in 2001 after it had been sitting in the store for years.

Last edited by laurens; 12-18-2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Great thread! Here's my '95 USA Model I with Koa body, bird's eye maple neck, and pau ferro fretboard:

This one has a Jackson neckplate, which I'm told makes it 1 of 50 for that year. I lusted after these rare guitars for over 20 years (!) before getting around to buying one, and the price never did drop very much, so one day I just said SCREW IT and snagged one. Unfortunately, the previous owner must have lived in a saltwater cave, because most of the hardware including the Jackson branded Schaller trem was corroded, so I replaced everything except the unaffected tuning keys with brand new gold hardware, including a German Schaller Floyd with big brass block, and Bare Knuckle pickups (Nail Bomb @ bridge and Cold Sweat @ neck) with a push-pull volume pot for coil splitting.

It is a monstrous guitar, although it takes a little adjustment when switching from my other Charvels since the neck is more narrow at the nut, giving less breathing room for my fingers. Still, it really flies and has a tremendously clarity and crispness for chords and single notes, even unamplified. I always request to play an electric unamplified first to hear how good is REALLY is. Because all else equal, it will sound better amplified than most if it aces that test.
              '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
              '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
              '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
              '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
              '90 Charvel 475 XL
              '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
              Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
              Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
              Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Nice SD1. Why didn't you use the same kind of Schaller Floyd as the guitar had stock, so it fits the route?

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                  Nice SD1. Why didn't you use the same kind of Schaller Floyd as the guitar had stock, so it fits the route?
                  Shop that did the pro setup for me ordered the Schaller and claimed they couldn't find the shorter screws. That's something I need to get around to one day...
                  '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                  '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                  '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                  '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                  '90 Charvel 475 XL
                  '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                  Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                  Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                  Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Always loved the SD's, just can't get on with the Ballsack head stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post
                      Great thread! Here's my '95 USA Model I with Koa body, bird's eye maple neck, and pau ferro fretboard:

This one has a Jackson neckplate, which I'm told makes it 1 of 50 for that year. I lusted after these rare guitars for over 20 years (!) before getting around to buying one, and the price never did drop very much, so one day I just said SCREW IT and snagged one. Unfortunately, the previous owner must have lived in a saltwater cave, because most of the hardware including the Jackson branded Schaller trem was corroded, so I replaced everything except the unaffected tuning keys with brand new gold hardware, including a German Schaller Floyd with big brass block, and Bare Knuckle pickups (Nail Bomb @ bridge and Cold Sweat @ neck) with a push-pull volume pot for coil splitting.

It is a monstrous guitar, although it takes a little adjustment when switching from my other Charvels since the neck is more narrow at the nut, giving less breathing room for my fingers. Still, it really flies and has a tremendously clarity and crispness for chords and single notes, even unamplified. I always request to play an electric unamplified first to hear how good is REALLY is. Because all else equal, it will sound better amplified than most if it aces that test.
                      looks like this godin belt is matching any SD from 1995
                      here is my lacewood version. comes with OFR and rosewood fretboard. aftermarket SD blackouts.
                      for sale BTW.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ykrop4ik; 04-12-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Anyone here knows what size allen/hex key fits for the truss rod nut? I just got my 3rd 1995 Charvel and none of these came with the truss rod wrench. With the crazy weather in CA, all three need adjustments and none of my regular allen wrenches fit these

Comment

Working...
                        X