Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trying to gather some info on this "prepro" charvel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
    Yup a "few" unscrupulous characters did some shady shit....but not "dozens"....I (& others) would call out ANY guitar I knew was a "fake"....
    A few of the highest profile guys. And some of the guys that mostly lurk. But sadly, a lot of them wouldn't call out a fake, just quietly keep to themselves for any number of reasons.

And yeah, I talk about that past a bit bitterly... Kinda wrecked the Charvel market, but it affected the Jackson community pretty hard as well. Things never really recovered.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

A-fucking-greed my friend!!

Comment

This was one of the issues that caused a great deal of shit here on the JCF. The few guys getting parts and selling as complete guitars and even some mentioning who was building them parts by name as well .. ah the good ole days
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Is it still taboo to mention who was actually building the parts ? I used to call up "said person" all the time and order necks and bodies. We used to build some really cool stuff with those parts, always used Japanese Charvel neckplates and never ever tried to pass them off as original San Dimas guitars. In fact, I see one of our creations on eBay every year or so and have never seen them advertised as original San Dimas guitars. We purposely made them in a way that was cool and functional but would not be confused or copied off of original San Dimas parts. In fact, most of ours have our name and/or a current date in the neck pocket.

I thought it was pretty funny many years ago when the fakers would post up all their fake San Dimas EVH guitars in the JCF Gallery as originals. 2 people in particular(Tim Rose and I forget the 2nd) had like 10 EVH Pre-pro's listed as originals with their name attached to them............ puuullllleeeeeezzzzzzz.

Now here's a cool story. Back then, I called up "said person" and told him I wanted to build the ultimate Strathead Charvel. I had him build me a mahogany Dinky body with full white binding and a killer flame maple top. For the neck, he told me that he had this killer birdseye lying around just waiting for something cool and he made me a birdseye maple neck with an ebony fingerboard. For some stupid reason, I never completed that guitar. The body is painted up in a vintage cherry sunburst and the neck is already logo'd, cleared and ready to go. I ordered a gold OFR for it that's lying around somewhere and a pair of zebra DiMarzios. I think I never completed it because I just could never find a set of correct gold Gotoh crownheads. Maybe I'll pull those parts out today and take some pics.
          Last edited by lepard; 07-26-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~K~ View Post
            This was one of the issues that caused a great deal of shit here on the JCF.
            The Great Rage Quit of 2001 or was it early 2002. Or whatever. I just know I remember it bitterly. lol
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

This is partly the reason I don't even want to touch vintage/old instruments. There's just way too much uncertainty for the casual guitar buyer. Nothing short of drop dead provenance would get me to buy an old Charvel.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Could have also been an early charvel kit guitar. There are a few guys who are knowledgable on these old guitars, and some do consider the boogie route bodies the predecessor to the prepros.

Comment

The neck and body are Charvel. Boogie is a misnomer, this is the earlier Charvel rear route. There was a few different rear routes before what became the ubiquitous SanDimas route.

I have seen a few pics of this guitar on another forum. Some parts have been changed.

Some questions...
                  Does the neck have a finish on it?

Are the markings on the hear that say b&w under the finish?

Can you post more pics of the strap buttons, tuners, neck pocket and the date on the heal.

Looks 80-81 not older or earlier. Could be factory paint but would like to see some close ups of the lines and finish.

Kevin
                  It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Working...
                  X