No announcement yet.

Charvel USA Production Models - catalog ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I clearly was asleep from 2008 onwards (year of the first batch?) because I'm wondering how these guitars never caught my attention. Or maybe my tastes have changed and now I think they're awesome. Seriously I can't find guitar or color combination pictured in these catalog scans that I don't like.

Such great specs... mostly maple fretboards, non-recessed OFR, no tone controls, Made in USA, mostly straightforward color options (I'm boring like that).

Personal favorites: Wild-Card #3 and the black San Dimas from the first batch. As far as I can tell, the only differences between them are chrome VS black hardware, and a lack of a neck pickup and pickup switch on the Wild-Card #3.

I MISSED OUT and I'm kicking myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      I MISSED OUT and I'm kicking myself.
      LOL I'm the opposite... none of them do anything for me. If they would have had one with ebony board and matching headstock, I would have bought one immediately.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I was hooked from the beginning, from the Guitar world video review, to when Charvel used to use the sneak peak videos for each batch. Funny how I ended up with a Black SoCal, Black San Dimas Style 2, a Black Wildcard 3 and (used to own) the HSS in Trans Kandy Gold - which I sold since she was getting no love once my Guthrie arrived.

Will be looking to add a USA SD 1 (probably NOT black) or a Red Ale or Plumb SoCal. Would love to see these make a comeback, but doesn't look like it'll happen.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          LOL I'm the opposite... none of them do anything for me. If they would have had one with ebony board and matching headstock, I would have bought one immediately.
          We can go back in time, scoop up a bunch of these guitars, and then sell them to present-day suckers like me. Better yet, use the time machine to go back and insist on ebony boards and matching headstocks.

Now I know why Wild-Card #3 resonated with me. I think Adrian Smith has our time machine.

Comment

We can go back in time, scoop up a bunch of these guitars, and then sell them to present-day suckers like me. Better yet, use the time machine to go back and insist on ebony boards and matching headstocks.

Now I know why Wild-Card #3 resonated with me. I think Adrian Smith has our time machine.
            WC#3 was the only one I was really interested in lol

And if I could go back in history, I don't think I'd be buying guitars.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thank you for posting those pictures, I hadn't seen them before.
              Was the Wildcard #3 perhaps inspired by Adrian Smith's Charvel, or just coincidence?

Batch 6 USA:

Last edited by guirat; 10-08-2017, 06:54 AM. Reason: added pics

Comment

I noticed a unique flag flying over a house the other day. Reminded me that I have not seen a post of one of those "Don't Tread on Me" models in a long time. Anyone here own one? Were those small batch/custom shop? What year did they come out?

Comment

Quick question. Are the colors shown in these catalog scans the only ones available and everything available? I'm looking at a USA white SoCal with a black pickguard and think it looks like the one shown in the sixth production batch. Just trying to pinpoint my possible purchase as accurately as possible. Thanks.

Comment

Batch 7 USA:

Last edited by guirat; 10-08-2017, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks guirat! The guitar I'm hoping to see is definitely a USA as labeled on the headstock. Thanks for providing a catalog pic with the specs too. Now I know what I'm getting exactly.

That picture confirms the sixth production batch was likely 2009. I don't know why care about such minute details, but I just love accurate information in general.

Shame these only came originally with padded gig bags instead of hardshell cases, but oh well. Seller is including his generic teardrop-shaped hardshell case in the sale.

Comment

Batch 8 USA:

Last edited by guirat; 10-08-2017, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Cool thread! I just hate it to think that I missed the orange tangerine batch. I remember trying one out, loving it but had not the dough at that time...
                          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Was there ever a So-Cal Style 2? Methinks not? Perhaps Charvel was thinking about a Tele with a pickguard and was "future-proofing" their naming scheme?

San Dimas Style 1 = Strat
                            San Dimas Style 2 = Tele

So-Cal Style 1 = Front-loaded Strat with pickguard
                            So-Cal Style 2 = Non-existent front-loaded Tele with pickguard

Anyone know what routing was under the So-Cal pickguard? HH to reflect the HH pickup layout? HSH for added versatility? Swimming pool route for ultimate versatility? I've seen photos of a So-Cal with aftermarket HSH and purposely trying to mimic Dave Murray's black HSH Fender Strat.

Comment

Anyone know what routing was under the So-Cal pickguard? HH to reflect the HH pickup layout? HSH for added versatility? Swimming pool route for ultimate versatility? I've seen photos of a So-Cal with aftermarket HSH and purposely trying to mimic Dave Murray's black HSH Fender Strat.
                              I found my answer. I saw some photos of the body with pickguard removed, and it's routed HSH.

Comment

Yeah, I swapped PUs on my old candy plum, and it was HSH underneath.

Comment

Working...
                                X