Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! New Member question: improving floyd rose tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just messed with the pickup heights again. Raised them a bit and tightened up the bass a little bit. Still have the Duncan Custom on the way though and I will have to compare.

Comment

Hmm, was playing "Alright Now" by Free and it sounds really muddy with the JB in my Charvel even with the amp gain turned way down. It sounded much clearer on my Ibanez with the infamous V8 humbucker whether i had the amp gained turned down or turned down on my guitar. Hope the TB-5 Custom comes soon.

Comment

Update: I put in the Duncan Custom and it is much better than the JB. I'm gonna try putting in an alnico 8 magnet to get rid of some of the clanginess on the high strings and then put some hex screws on the lower strings to tighten up the bass.

Comment

if you want to get rid of any muddiness, check out the suhr aldrich..it's almost ridiculous...

Comment

IME i have found that the dimarzio sound so much thicker and warmer than duncans in alder charvels with floyds? why is this? you tell me i have NO clue but it is true despite if you dislike dimarzios or not. keep in mind back in 78-81 most charvels(over 75%) had dimarzios installed in them

Comment

I have dimarzios in my san dimas and they sound killer. Before this guitar I've hated dimarzio's in aost everything I've tried them in.

Comment

Before you toss out that bridge pickup and replace it... Have you tried adjusting the HEIGHT of the pickup? Bringing the pickup closer to the strings - even a few millimeters - can "fatten up" the tone quite well. Try raising the pickup on the lower string side a few mm's first. Careful not to get to close - it'll get muddy if you do. About the Floyd Rose block - I replaced the block on all of my Floyds with the heavier brass blocks - it fattened it up "a little" I guess, but it didn't knock my socks off. For the money I paid, I was hoping for a little more WOW factor. Oh well... Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X