Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! New Member question: improving floyd rose tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi! New Member question: improving floyd rose tone.

Hi Everyone! I am a new member here. I bought my Candy Apple Red Charvel San Dimas style 2 with Tele body last fall. The playability of the neck and trem is great, but I've notice the guitar sounds somewhat thin or metallic when I'm playing plugged in, but also unplugged when compared to my Carvin and Ibanez Axes.

I play a lot of 90s alternative rock and heavier stuff like metallica, megadeth, Killswitch engage. The clean tones of the neck, and N+B are very nice although tinny, but distorted palm muting using the bridge isn't very clear. Also the '59 neck sounds like it doesn't punch hard enough.

I'm trying to figure out if this is due to the Floyd Rose bridge or the pickups. If it is the bridge would, adding a brass block add a tighter low end and eliminate some of the tinny sound and add definition to the low end and make the neck lead tone sound better? I've also heard that the JB doesn't have a lot of low end so maybe its that or a combination of the pickups and the trem.

I've already tried putting in a 500k pot, but that did not help.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a way to improve their tone on their floyd equipped guitars?

It's probably a bit due to it being a Maple neck/Alder body that you are not used too as opposed to a Basswood Body Ibanez?
    It's an 80's style "hair" guitar, a lot of the 80's tone is pretty much that, thin and metallic.
    Try some different "thicker" pups.

Comment

Originally posted by metafunj View Post
      would adding a brass block add a tighter low end and eliminate some of the tinny sound and add definition to the low end and make the neck lead tone sound better? I've also heard that the JB doesn't have a lot of low end so maybe its that or a combination of the pickups and the trem.
      Either of these are a good start.

I think pickups would be a much more definite way to get some change, with the added bonus of being able to look at different pickups' characteristics and eq levels to match what you want to change about the sound you are getting from your pickups now.

I have big blocks on all my Floyds, and to me they seem to do just what you're saying. But keep in mind that a lot of people hear little or no difference with or without them, so obviously what effect there is isn't massive (at least not to everyone).
      Last edited by Ward; 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Pickups would be my starting point. The JB sounds shrill in Alder... fact. A lot of guys here swear by SD Customs (TB-5) or Custom 5s (TB-14), but if you want to really fatten it up, toss a Dimarzio Tone Zone in there (or Super 3). Personally, I am partial (as many know) to bareknuckle pickups. I'd say a Nailbomb would do you perfectly, or a Holy Diver. If you want even more, a Warpig. They aren't that expensive despite being handwound, 99 pounds for an uncovered pup. Roughly 150CAD, barring shipping. I think you'll love them if you go that route (I don't know anybody who has disliked a BKP.).
        I like EL34s.

Comment

+1 for a Duncan Custom, Super 3 as well, but i would say a Duncan Custom to be on the safe side, the Super 3 is a love or hate type of pup i think.

Comment

Thanks guys! At the time I bought the guitar I played the Sand Dimas through the only nice amp in the store, which was a some type of Fender Twin, and the JB lead tone blew me away(reminded me of Zappa) and the cleans were good, but I think you are right at the pickups need to go. The JB feels like a one trick pony in this guitar.

I've heard the Custom is really popular, but what does it sound like? The Super 3 could be an option or maybe x2n? I can't tell really well from the short clips on the SD that sound like they are in a LP. The bare knuckles sound good but the clips on their website sounds scooped. Is that from the amp eq or does the nailbomb really have a scooped sound?

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks guys! At the time I bought the guitar I played the Sand Dimas through the only nice amp in the store, which was a some type of Fender Twin, and the JB lead tone blew me away(reminded me of Zappa) and the cleans were good, but I think you are right at the pickups need to go. The JB feels like a one trick pony in this guitar.

I've heard the Custom is really popular, but what does it sound like? The Super 3 could be an option or maybe x2n? I can't tell really well from the short clips on the SD that sound like they are in a LP. The bare knuckles sound good but the clips on their website sounds scooped. Is that from the amp eq or does the nailbomb really have a scooped sound?

Thanks again.
              Nailbomb is slightly scooped, but it's probably from the amp. The holy Diver has much more midrange. The Nailbomb I find to be quite similar in character to the Custom.

Be careful with the X2N. The best way to describe that pup is transparent. Your guitar is bright sounding, an X2N will sound bright. But it's a cool pup if stupid high output pups are your thing (They aren't mine).

I know the Nailbomb is favourite amongst thrash players but it's very dynamic and will do hot blues if you play with your volume knob. Note the ceramic version is more scooped than the Alnico. I would use the Alnico for your needs. I used to use a ceramic nailbomb.
              Last edited by Grim; 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Well to start off with it should have had a 500k pot in it to begin with.
                You can tame a JB using a 300k pot.That option works well in a 1 humbucker guitar best.
                JB's are a good all around rock pick up just dial down your tone knob thats what its for.
                I'm guessing you are a death metal chunka chunka type and the JB is deff not that kind of pick up.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

What are you playing through. I have always gotten a good sound out of a JB. Not always the absolute best but good. Play with the settings one your amp before spending cash on pickups. If you wanna go cheap put a ceramic magney in the JB. Did it on one of mine and loved it.
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

The San Dimas production model came with 250k pots. For awhile I couldn't figure out why it was so much quieter than any of my other guitars, especially since none of my other guitars have high gain pickups like the JB. I don't feel the tone needs to be tamed; it just needs more low end clarity. What would putting in a ceramic mag do?

Right now my amp is just a SS vox15r which is a bedroom practice amp. I know the amp is part of the problem, but I've played the San Dimas through a mesa boogie Transatlantic 30 and I couldn't get the chunk I could get with my ibanezs, with their stock V series pickups, through the same amp. To me, the low end sounds mushy.

What would putting a ceramic magnet in the JB do? I would think it would have to be repotted, the pickups are fairly noisy and I don't need more extraneous noise.

Comment

The San Dimas production model came with 250k pots. For awhile I couldn't figure out why it was so much quieter than any of my other guitars, especially since none of my other guitars have high gain pickups like the JB. I don't feel the tone needs to be tamed; it just needs more low end clarity. What would putting in a ceramic mag do?

Right now my amp is just a SS vox15r which is a bedroom practice amp. I know the amp is part of the problem, but I've played the San Dimas through a mesa boogie Transatlantic 30 and I couldn't get the chunk I could get with my ibanezs, with their stock V series pickups, through the same amp. To me, the low end sounds mushy.

What would putting a ceramic magnet in the JB do? I would think it would have to be repotted, the pickups are fairly noisy and I don't need more extraneous noise.
                      Ceramic mag makes it much like a duncan distortion.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                        Ceramic mag makes it much like a duncan distortion.
                        It's considered a distortion light. A 500k volume pot will help but leave the 250k tone pot alone
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

JB's in alder sound like ass.. Charvel didn't do much sound testing when they released the "new" San Dimas guitars. I believe they chose he JB because they are synonymous with 80's guitar rock, much like the Charvel brand. I don't like the Duncan Custom in alder either as it also sounds thin and tinny to me.
                          I personally went way outside the box for my alder machine and installed a Duncan Full Shred after around 5 pickup changes. The Duncan Pearly Gates is a nice choice as well to balance out at light wood. I generally don't like any of the 80's high output pickup models in alder wood bodies. I would stay away from the JB, ANY of the "Custom" models, and the Distortion . In Dimarzio, I would stay away from Super Distortion, Dual Sound, Super 2 and the Tone Zone..

If you want MASSIVE output try switching to active pickups like and EMG 85 of Duncan Black Out.
                          John 3:16

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll have to change pickups. I've noticed that the sound is more "wah-y" in the middle of the neck with the 500k pot than it had before, and has a stronger more piercing attack. The attack and highs aren't too bad to my ears but the mids and lows aren't my thing. I'm thinking of trying a Nailbomb, Holy Diver, the Super 3, or maybe full shred.

Comment

I have two alder bodied guitars, both with JBs, and I like them. Although the FS is a fine sounding pup too.

Comment

Working...
                              X