Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to make a decision...SoCal 1-2H USA or Japanese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@slappyJ, if you're in the GTA, be sure to visit the Bloor L&M store, they usually have some us and japanese made production models and couple of pointy reissues, one was snakeskin with floyd, really cool one.

Comment

Im interested as well to know others thoughts on the MIJ vs USA Charvels. I have never had the pleasure to play a USA Pro Mod because here in Roanoke they only got a few and they went QUICK!!! We do still have some MIJ models there but they seem to be all over the place. There were three that I played and the feel on all three felt different. I also know that I don't like the tint on the neck. I much rather prefer the natural on the USAs.. I'm thinking it would have that feel that my Gunslinger had!

I also don't know about direct mount pups... I had heard that they were tonally better.. then others say no way, no adjustment. All I know is that the case on a MIJ sure makes it more tempting with that price!

Comment

I got my Charvel a couple of days ago...here are some first impressions:

The neck on this MIJ Charvel SoCal is phenomenal...I have played a few guitars in my day and from the beautifully dressed and polished frets down to the smooth finish this guitar plays like butta and just feels right. I tried a couple of USA SoCals and the frets aren't nearly as nice as the frets on the MIJ model.

I have noticed some fret buzz on the Low E string on the low frets from the factory setup. The factory setup is perfect for me I wouldn't raise or lower the action (that is why I am concerned about the fret buzz.

One thing I would change on this guitar is the pick guard. I tend to rest my pinky, ring and middle finger on the pick guard to balance my picking hand. What this does is create a scratching sound when I play (only noticeable when I am not plugged in and there is no other ambient noise). No big deal but noticeable...I think it's because the pick guard has a very slight texture to it unlike my other main guitar which is a strat and the pick guard on it is very smooth and mirror-like.

Minor annoyances aside I am very happy with my new Charvel.

Comment

Working...
        X