Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there neck pocket shims in the USA Production Model Guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vondran View Post
    I have a first run SoCal and it HAD shims (one in the neck pocket and some thin metal ones under the nut). The guitar was fine after I took out the neck one, and only had a slight buzz on the high-E first fret when I took out the nut one. A quick file fixed that.

So you should check because they did have some with Shims.
    My tang socal has shims too
    Ratt & Roll

Comment

Wow, yours had metal shims? Both of mine had little folded pieces of sandpaper. You got an upgrade!

I don't mind the metal shims under the nut, though it is to correct a tolerance problem, it doesn't really have any bad effects.

Comment

No shims in any that I have seen. It would be cool to route the neck pocket a bit deeper to lessen the angle so the bridge sits on the body.....flat is where its at.
        http://www.guitarmaven.net

Comment

I never understood people wanting the Floyd to sit on the body... defeats the purpose of a FLOATING trem LOL. The higher the better, I wanna be able to pull that bitch waaaaay back!
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yes! Terrible suggestion. Floyds should be floating. I don't need mega float, but I need to be able to at least warble up and down. I can't stand dive-only.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Heavy Handed palm muter here, I hate full floating bridges because of the propensity to go sharp while muting. I guess the custom shop feels like I do because all of mine are flat mount dive only from the Factory. My EVH, Learn, and 2005 reissue are all set up dive only. Perhaps we're all wrong....
              http://www.guitarmaven.net

Comment

I'm not super picky - having the floyd mounted flush to the body is good for some stuff, and floating is good for other stuff.

The issue I'm having with the USA Pro Mods, is neck angle makes it very difficult to find a case that will fit my guitar properly. I have another thread about cases, but I haven't been able to find one that fits nicely yet.

I might have to try one of the old "Model" series Chainsaw cases - not sure yet.
                -Rob

Comment

Originally posted by RacerR View Post
                  I have another thread about cases, but I haven't been able to find one that fits nicely yet.
                  FWIW - I was able to pick up a case from a dismantled Adrian Smith Jackson - neck angle and non-recessed floated - just like the ProMod. Jackson definately has these cases, its just a matter of getting them.

Also FWIW - I just stick mine in a regular strat case, tight fit on the Floyd or not. Never had a problem in 20 years (obviously not 20 years with a ProMod, but with a similar guitar).
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Well shit if your going dive only might as well just go v trem and locking tuners... much cheaper LOL. Save the Floyd's for people who really use em. i palm mute a lot, and never go out of tune. Just different technique I guess.

On that note, there's a copperhead pointy for sale locally. I'd have snatched it up if the Floyd was installed right, not on the body.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Remember though - even if the Floyd is on the body, you can get decent float just by shimming the neck. A little piece of paper goes a long way.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        Remember though - even if the Floyd is on the body, you can get decent float just by shimming the neck. A little piece of paper goes a long way.
                        Very true. The first guitar I ever owned had a non-recessed Floyd. The next Floyd guitar I bought had a recessed Floyd. By putting a shim in, I was able to get it fairly close in feel to a non-recessed Floyd. Just got to make sure the pivot screws/studs have plenty of length left to bite into the body. I haven't gone to that extreme with any other guitars and I'm not sure it would work with every guitar, but it did in that instance.

Comment

Yes! Terrible suggestion. Floyds should be floating. I don't need mega float, but I need to be able to at least warble up and down. I can't stand dive-only.
                          I like my flush mount Floyd, but I don't really use it as a tremolo. For some guitars, I like enough angle that I could float it, but not so much I can't set it up dive-only without a block, if that makes sense. I don't need a tremolo on every guitar, but I do like the feel of the Floyd bridge under my hand. The recessed Floyds I have are all floating.

Also FWIW - I just stick mine in a regular strat case, tight fit on the Floyd or not. Never had a problem in 20 years (obviously not 20 years with a ProMod, but with a similar guitar).
                          Yes, mine fit great in the Fender cases. IMO, it's not going to hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
                          X