Tell me what you don't like about the new SoCals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wild Wally View Post
    You don't need a recessed Floyd route on these guitars!!
    Excuse me, but -
    Who are you to tell anyone else what they "need" in their ideal guitar?

It is indeed a preference thing. I prefer them, don't want a NON-recessed Floyd as a rule. For me the lack of nut width options is a deal-breaker (yes, I'm a freak about R5s - noted), and I'd personally rather see an option for an Ebony fretboard over Rosewood any day. I'm also among those who is not a fan of (B)asswood.

Comment

• I tell you what - I was checking out the new Red Ale SoCal this weekend - that sure is a purty color! I liked it very much.

I've been a proponant of the flat black pickguard in the past, but:

A - I would love to see this color on the San Dimas (over a birdseye or flame maple body would be sick)

B - I different pickguard might really set it off - gold anodized... tortoise... even a glossy white

And it would look sick with the rosewood boarded neck from the San Dimas wildcard.

Charvel - take note!

Prediction - next wildcard will be a SoCal!
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

• SORRY, i love non recessed floyds & i wont buy guitars with recessed floyds. after yrs of playing old school style NON recessed OFRs & TOM bridges ive gotten very used to the string height that way. recessed floyds & hardtails are very uncomfortable for me, even some V-trems dont feel right.

Comment

• I grew up playing original Charvels with added Floyd Roses on them and very early Jackson bolt ons with non recessed Floyd Rose's on them. I LOVE non recessed Floyd Rose's. I HATE recessed Floyd Roses. If I want a recessed Floyd Rose I can buy guitars by just about any shred guitar manufacturer out there. I have dozens to choose from! If I want a non recessed Floyd Rose like I played on all my original San Dimas built Charvels I can buy a new San Dimas Charvel and not too many others. Makes sense to me.

You may think you want a Charvel but if you want a recessed Floyd I don't think you really want what a Charvel is.

You may really want a Porsche 911 but to complain that you want a 911 but want one with the engine in the front well, that's not a 911. You can choose from hundreds of cars and guitars with the features you want. This is a niche product in the tradition of the original niche product.

Comment

• I grew up playing original Charvels with added Floyd Roses on them and very early Jackson bolt ons with non recessed Floyd Rose's on them. I LOVE non recessed Floyd Rose's. I HATE recessed Floyd Roses. If I want a recessed Floyd Rose I can buy guitars by just about any shred guitar manufacturer out there. I have dozens to choose from! If I want a non recessed Floyd Rose like I played on all my original San Dimas built Charvels I can buy a new San Dimas Charvel and not too many others. Makes sense to me.

You may think you want a Charvel but if you want a recessed Floyd I don't think you really want what a Charvel is.

You may really want a Porsche 911 but to complain that you want a 911 but want one with the engine in the front well, that's not a 911. You can choose from hundreds of cars and guitars with the features you want. This is a niche product in the tradition of the original niche product.
            Well said!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
              I grew up playing original Charvels with added Floyd Roses on them and very early Jackson bolt ons with non recessed Floyd Rose's on them. I LOVE non recessed Floyd Rose's. I HATE recessed Floyd Roses. If I want a recessed Floyd Rose I can buy guitars by just about any shred guitar manufacturer out there. I have dozens to choose from! If I want a non recessed Floyd Rose like I played on all my original San Dimas built Charvels I can buy a new San Dimas Charvel and not too many others. Makes sense to me.

I second this motion and what j2379 said. There isn't too much to choose from with Non-recessed floyds outside of shimming one yourself (still looks recessed though) or going custom shop. I just prefer the bridge up high like a LP.

And as an aside, to me a true 911 was air-cooled, but they stopped making those ~12 years ago!
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

• Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
                I grew up playing original Charvels with added Floyd Roses
                The key here is ADDED. I also grew up playing Charvels, and my pre-pro had a vtrem, then they progressed to the Floyd, then later on as imports eventually with a recessed Floyd. They've morphed over the years as playing styles also have morphed. Now we're supposed to only be able to have the 20 year old non-recessed models?

I HATE recessed Floyd Roses. If I want a recessed Floyd Rose I can buy guitars by just about any shred guitar manufacturer out there. I have dozens to choose from!
                See I was right earlier, it's all about hate, and what you prefer. Fuck everyone else, right?

If I want a non recessed Floyd Rose like I played on all my original San Dimas built Charvels I can buy a new San Dimas Charvel and not too many others. Makes sense to me.
                That's right, and you still can. Once again, ask yourself why in the world do you care if those of us who prefer a recess (like you prefer a non-recess) have a model that fits our style of play??? It affects you in no way at all. You can still have all the non-recess Charvels you want.

Funny. I want a 22 fret, maple boarded, rear loaded strat-head with a recessed Floyd, you know just like the one Charvel happens to make, except I want a modern tremolo route instead of old school. I got some made from GMW awhile back, and guess what, they are JUST like the old Charvels, but hmmm, GMW can't make them anymore. So I think you're wrong, I do want exactly what a Charvel is. Besides, Charvel WILL make them with a recess from the custom shop, they cost a shitload more money for just a simple route, but going by your statement, is that not a Charvel then? Even though Charvel makes them?

How about this guitar, is it NOT what a Charvel is?

No you say?

Well what about this one:

Surely is must be what a Charvel "is", it says Charvel right on the body!

Wow, you suck at making comparisons. Here I'll help you out: It's more like wanting a Porsche 911 but they only have enough space in the rear wheel well for the older 15 inch rims, and I want to use more modern 20 inchers, they will definitely make me a 911 with the bigger wheel well but to do that I have to pay 3 times the price? It still costs the same to make the car, and guess what it's still a Porsche 911.

It's sad to see so many "screw counters" (I think Sully called em that once) bashing on people's preferences as if it will make the world stop spinning if Charvel makes a production model (that ya'll don't have to buy) that will allow those of us who want them, buy them. Funny how the people who do claim a recess is keeping them from buying one aren't the ones bashing non-recessed guitars in any way, nor calling for their demise.

Comment

• Guys, the way we developed the specifications for the US Production Model Series guitars drew us to the Top Mounted Floyd. In looking at the custom shop requests... there was an overwhelming majority of orders for top mounted floyd's. Remember, we do everything in the Custom Shop and we are happy to make the guitar of your dreams. When judging the Production Model, keep in mind that in order to keep the price where it is...we limited the changes and features.

Thanks...Mike

Comment

• I'm not too sure how looking at custom shop requests translates into a production model, since you will have a much wider available customer base for them and the custom shop cost is way out of reach for the overwhelming majority of guitar players. But I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Given that, while I can certainly understand a need to keep prices down, those of us that want a modern trem route are screwed. We see models being made with a tele-body (was that a popular custom shop order too?) pickguards, rear-loaded, rosewood fretboards, now this time around with S-S-H and single Hum configurations, plus upcharged flame paint jobs!

Hell, I don't mind being upcharged for a model with a recess, since it's out of the "norm", even though it wouldn't cost any more than anything else, but maybe $100 would be fair, not a couple of thousand from the custom shop.
                    Last edited by Evol; 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Evol View Post
                      those of us that want a modern trem route are screwed.
                      Buy whatever "several" Pro Mods you want to buy, and have a tremolo recess routed and the neck pocket angle taken out. :dunno:

Comment

• Don't forget replacing the bridge, but yes all that is an option, but an expensive one, and a warranty voiding one as well. Why not just have a model with it done for those of us that will actually buy and play them instead of saying we should hack the guitars up, or pay a couple thousand extra for a custom shop?

Don't forget the same thing could be said about the new pickup routes.
                        Last edited by Evol; 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM. Reason: extra snarky comment

Comment

• Why the recess hate? Don't want it, don't BUY it- but IMO it SHOULD be offered.

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
                          Would totally vehemently disagree with you on this. You sound like you don't know what a Charvel is yourself. Weren't they always about building your dream guitar, to your personal specs - up to and including recessed Floyds?

All the other brands you mention with recessed (usually knockoff) Floyds exist because they ripped it off from Charvel and people modifying them after the fact. Geez.

And totally agree with Evol's post, and on your analogy.

Originally posted by Evol View Post
                          The key here is ADDED. I also grew up playing Charvels, and my pre-pro had a vtrem, then they progressed to the Floyd, then later on as imports eventually with a recessed Floyd. They've morphed over the years as playing styles also have morphed. Now we're supposed to only be able to have the 20 year old non-recessed models?

See I was right earlier, it's all about hate, and what you prefer. Fuck everyone else, right?

That's right, and you still can. Once again, ask yourself why in the world do you care if those of us who prefer a recess (like you prefer a non-recess) have a model that fits our style of play??? It affects you in no way at all. You can still have all the non-recess Charvels you want.

Funny. I want a 22 fret, maple boarded, rear loaded strat-head with a recessed Floyd, you know just like the one Charvel happens to make, except I want a modern tremolo route instead of old school. I got some made from GMW awhile back, and guess what, they are JUST like the old Charvels, but hmmm, GMW can't make them anymore. So I think you're wrong, I do want exactly what a Charvel is. Besides, Charvel WILL make them with a recess from the custom shop, they cost a shitload more money for just a simple route, but going by your statement, is that not a Charvel then? Even though Charvel makes them?

How about this guitar, is it NOT what a Charvel is?

No you say?

Well what about this one:

Surely is must be what a Charvel "is", it says Charvel right on the body!

Wow, you suck at making comparisons. Here I'll help you out: It's more like wanting a Porsche 911 but they only have enough space in the rear wheel well for the older 15 inch rims, and I want to use more modern 20 inchers, they will definitely make me a 911 with the bigger wheel well but to do that I have to pay 3 times the price? It still costs the same to make the car, and guess what it's still a Porsche 911.

It's sad to see so many "screw counters" (I think Sully called em that once) bashing on people's preferences as if it will make the world stop spinning if Charvel makes a production model (that ya'll don't have to buy) that will allow those of us who want them, buy them. Funny how the people who do claim a recess is keeping them from buying one aren't the ones bashing non-recessed guitars in any way, nor calling for their demise.

And while I totally see Bionic's point - I'm just sayin' would a future "wildcard" with an S/H pickup configuration, a recessed Floyd and an R5 be TOO much to ask?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evol View Post
                            Why not just have a model with it done for those of us that will actually buy and play them instead of saying we should hack the guitars up, or pay a couple thousand extra for a custom shop?

Don't forget the same thing could be said about the new pickup routes.
                            I'm guessing they don't have a model with a recessed tremolo because their marketing research shows it wouldn't sell that well.

Then again their marketing research showed that people wanted a Telecaster with no pickguard, a Strat headstock, 2 humbuckers and a Floyd. :dunno:

I'm not saying Mike (Bionic) doesn't know what he's doing in the slightest, I'm saying, you hear people talk about "Oh, if they just made <whatever> they would sell a whole bunch!" and it's nothing more than "armchair marketing."

I don't see it as a bad idea to try for a Wildcard (can't be worse than Trans Kandy Magenta ) but honestly one of the draws of the guitar, for me, was that it was an NR Floyd, something different, "old school", not a JEM with a monkey grip (well I guess that's pretty dated now, too).
                            Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 01-27-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X