• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beachjammer
    replied
    Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
    Non-beveled pickguard.
    +1 but that's minor as the rest of the guitar smokes. My gold So Cal get's more playing time than any of my other guitars!

Leave a comment:

• zarl
    replied
    Most SoCals look better with Chrome hardware.

Leave a comment:

• DonP
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
    I hate that the truss rod nut is located at the heel. I've never liked that design on any guitar because, IMHO, it is antiquated. I probably would have bought 2 Pro Mods if it weren't for the truss rod nut issue. That is a definite showstopper for me.
    Is there a tonal reason for doing that? If it sounds better doing it that way, I'm all for better tone.

I don't mess with the truss rod every few minutes, so I don't see why this would be a show stopper.

In fact, I just bought an Allparts Strat neck with the truss rod in the heal. It will be my first.

Leave a comment:

• RockinJim
    replied
    I find the SoCal very comfortable to play. My neck seems smooth, not sure about the comments above. I think the neck is excellent. I'm OK with the trem, not a big fan of the tuners, but it seems to stay in tune reasonably well. I think it is a very good playing and sounding shred guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Matt_B
    replied
    I hate that the truss rod nut is located at the heel. I've never liked that design on any guitar because, IMHO, it is antiquated. I probably would have bought 2 Pro Mods if it weren't for the truss rod nut issue. That is a definite showstopper for me.
    Last edited by Matt_B; 12-02-2009, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• maltomario
    replied
    Wish they came with other hardware colors rather than just black. yeah i know the chrome was limited but wish they could offer it as option on every model.

I agree with the pickguard comment. i put a warmoth black-white-black pickguard on my socal. i think it looks really nice now.

here's a pic:

Leave a comment:

• Zaneus
    replied
    I love the texture on the necks personally. The "smoother" the neck is the more sticky i find it feels. Just personal preference.

I'd have to go with the socal pickguards too. Would love a bevelled three ply black white black pickguard :>. If you really wanted to get nit-picky you could also ask for a german floyd, two or one piece body or <insert favourite pickups> instead of the stock duncans or dimarzios but nothing is perfect.

I'd have to mention the floyd though. Mine came with a dodgy floyd bar. the washer inside of the tension thumb wheel was actually moulded around the pin in the bottom of the bar due to someone over tightening it at the factory or at the store. This made for a loose fit, subtle vibrato was a challenge and flutters were impossible because of this. I tried to take it back and get a new bar under warranty but the store just said "there's no way to prove that you didnt do this and if you send it off to warranty they're just going to take one look at it and claim misuse". Which is completely true. I had to fork $30 for a replacement. </rant>

Leave a comment:

• vondran
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
    Necks could be smoother. nothing some sandpaper and tungoil won't fix.
    A quick rub with 0000 steel wool makes them perfect.

Leave a comment:

• DonP
    replied
    Price?

Leave a comment:

• Rich#6
    replied
    Necks could be smoother. nothing some sandpaper and tungoil won't fix.

Leave a comment:

• dannyr
    replied
    Pickguard but that's an easy fix.

Leave a comment:

• MakeAJazzNoiseHere
    replied
    Non-beveled pickguard.

Leave a comment:

• RockinJim
    started a topic Tell me what you don't like about the new SoCals

Tell me what you don't like about the new SoCals

Just curious, anything you don't like about it?
Working...
X