Adrian Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
    I especially like when they 1-2 punch you with Dave providing a gentle lyrical build up before H brings the pain like they do in Stranger in a Strange Land.
    Stranger in a Strange Land is all Adrian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
      +1 that's my favorite most musical IM record
      +2...my favourite too, plus I got to see Maiden live for the first time on that our...awesome!

And the tour book had a photo of Adrian with his black Charvel Strathead:

...that got me into Charvels, only took another 22 years for me to get my own Strathead

SiT was life changing for me, one of those defining moments - wore it out on vinyl, finally got it on CD a few years ago and haven't stopped playing it. A true classic.

Comment

Wow, take me back in time.
        I recall when "Killers" came out I was blown away then and still to this day out of all the Maiden albums I prefer to hear it. Something about it just grabbed me.
        Production was good, one of the first metal band to implement good bass riffs, composition, strong drums... just an all time favorite to me.

Also, its when Adrian came aboard and it showed big time.
        The first album lacked in the composition department, production sucked too.
        Second album (Killers) like a completely different band.
        They are better when Adrian is with them.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I've always been more drawn to Adrian's playing than Dave's. I guess I've always been a strong fan of melody - even in solos - and Adrian seems to weave much more melodic content into his riffs than Dave does. I also prefer his playing style, which isn't quite as "sloppy" as Dave's. I know Dave's not really a "sloppy" player, per se, but that's the only way I can think of to describe it. Adrian's syle is more structured, if you will. AS is definitely one of the first guitarists I really started to admire, when I first started playing guitar many moons ago.

BTW, the first show I ever saw was Priest and Maiden! A kick@ss way to start out a long streak of concert-going.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            Stranger in a Strange Land is all Adrian
            yea? Well there you go. That's what I get for relying on my memory. Gonna have to drag that album out for a listen now
            Hail yesterday

Comment

I love when they do dual solo's and Adrian just comes in with the one right note to pick up where Dave left off.

Every time we do a Maiden tune in a two guitar player band, we have to flip for who gets to do the Adrian solo's. Damn, I lost again. Oh well, the Dave's solos are still cool. Wish my fingers were that fast though.....

Matt

Comment

I also like Adrian better, because in a word he's got taste, and he is a great "solo writer". His solos are always harmonically interesting and somehow less predictable, he definitely does not just play the same blues licks at all.

This said, it all works so well because of the interplay with Dave. Dave's solos are lyrical, Kossoff-style phrasing and vibrato, and very predictable, more like an instrumental break than a true solo, then when he's done Adrian picks up with the fireworks.

And Janick, well, I first heard him live when he used to play in the Gillan band, circa 1982: the "highlight" of his 10 min. solo spot was him throwing a white strat on the floor and playing with his feet.

Comment

out of them 3, Adrian would feel the most comfortable playing in different musical situations... that dude is a great musician not just a heavy metal guitarist... great feel, tone and vibrato... very tasty.... Dave has some good ideas and Janick is entertaining during live shows but when I listen to the latest albums... Adrian is the one who's spot on all the time... Dave and Janick are so often out of pitch it makes me think that they hired Kirk Hammett
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                  X