Adrian Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Smith

I guess I've been thinking about AS because of the sig model- But I also picked up Somewhere in Time again after not listening to it for years.

I remember when I was younger thinking AS was the "other" guitarist to Dave Murray. Something about Murray's legato playing just made me feel like he had more chops than Smith, and maybe he does...but time and time again I find myself drawn Smith's solos as opposed to Murrays.

3 that get the fur to stand up on my neck time after time: the fast break after Murray's solo interlude in Powerslave (where Eddie would come out and harass everyone), particularly the pinch harmonic he throws out on Live After Death, Wasted Year's solo, and, perhaps my favorite, Stranger in a Strange Land.

He's really just dancing around in the box, throwing out some blues licks...It's not super complicated "weedle weedle weedle" stuff. But damn, the guy knows where to throw a note or two in.

I find him to be more of a inspiration to my playing the more I really listen to him.

They are both very good, and combined together, they've written some very bad ass music.

There is no mistaking the Iron Maiden sound.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
      They are both very good
      Yes, I think Adrian uses a more compositional approach to solo's, whereas Dave does them more improvised..

I also at first was more impressed with Dave's playing, but that has shifted slightly in favor of Adrian. Don't forget he wrote or co-wrote a lot of Maiden stuff with Harris or Dickinson, far more then Dave did.

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
        They are both very good
        oh yes, too bad they keep Gers on board often playing Adrian's solo's.. argh

Comment

Originally posted by pebber View Post
          oh yes, too bad they keep Gers on board often playing Adrian's solo's.. argh
          No shit!!! :think:

Comment

Oh god yeah. I'm not a fan of Janick at all, but fair enough that he's there. Just let Adrian play his own solos for godsake...

It's interesting to read the comments above because I was exactly the same - I used to really like Davey's playing and Adrian was just 'the other guy', but now I feel very differenly. Davey's playing seems very samey to me, whereas Adrian is just awesome... Mind you, I haven't really liked much since the first reunion album (Brave New World).
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I've always felt Adrian had the more interesting solos of the two. They aren't always all that technical or fast, but always fit the song, and full of tasty phrasing. I think the solo to Seventh Son is probably my favorite.

As for Janet....jeez...his solos always come off as ass-toned slopfests...at least to me. Why does he get to butcher Adrian's?

Pat

Comment

In my youth Dave was my hero. My playing had a lot in common with his. The bubbly tone, the legato runs, the ending of his solo in Aces High, his endless Heaven Can Wait solo...awesome.

I knew how to play some Smith stuff but my friend was the Smith clone.

Now I really dig Smith's playing. +1 on the pinch harmonics comment. His playing on Bruce's solo stuff is amazing too. His solos are definitely more thought out and even today sticks to them pretty well in a live setting. Murray sometimes just widdles on stage now and forgets to play some of the classic licks. Smith has a killer vibrato too.

Janick makes me panick.

Comment

The should just pay off that leaping creap and send him packing.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Somewhere In Time is my favourite Maiden album other than the self titled debut. It's a shame it doesn't get acknowledged all that much. Most people see their album progression as Powerslave then that synthy-cheesy concept album (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, which I actually like quite a bit). They never seem to acknowledge this somewhat of a middle-ground album that had a few synths and Powerslave-esque songs. Songs like Sea of Madness, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Caught Somewhere In Time, Stranger in A Strange Land, and of course, Wasted Years stick out as some of my favourite Maiden songs.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Adrian is one of those players where you know right away it's him, his lead tone just cuts through everything and he's super-melodic in all his solo lines.

he is a writer, not just a guitarist, and his playing is head and shoulders above 95% of guitarists you'll ever hear live or recorded.

talk about tone being in the hands, Adrian Smith has the gift. and it showed in his absence during the 90's.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                        Somewhere In Time is my favourite Maiden album other than the self titled debut. It's a shame it doesn't get acknowledged all that much. Most people see their album progression as Powerslave then that synthy-cheesy concept album (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, which I actually like quite a bit). They never seem to acknowledge this somewhat of a middle-ground album that had a few synths and Powerslave-esque songs. Songs like Sea of Madness, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Caught Somewhere In Time, Stranger in A Strange Land, and of course, Wasted Years stick out as some of my favourite Maiden songs.
                        +1 that's my favorite most musical IM record
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                          Adrian is one of those players where you know right away it's him, his lead tone just cuts through everything and he's super-melodic in all his solo lines.

he is a writer, not just a guitarist, and his playing is head and shoulders above 95% of guitarists you'll ever hear live or recorded.

talk about tone being in the hands, Adrian Smith has the gift. and it showed in his absence during the 90's.
                          Amen! You can't say it any better than this.

Comment

I may be the opposite to many of you - Adrian has ALWAYS been The Man to me, and Dave's playing annoyed me with it's looseness & too much senseless meedley meedley meeeee. I've actually come to appreciate Dave's playing more with age & really enjoy his playing on the last few albums, as well as on the early stuff.

But Adrian's playing always resonated with me. The way he'd lead off a solo with a searing unison bend or punctuate a line with a pinch harmonic, and that each solo was a musical statement unto itself. When I'm listening to Maiden, I still look forward to hearing his solos in things like 22 Acacia Avenue & 2 Minutes to Midnight. I especially like when they 1-2 punch you with Dave providing a gentle lyrical build up before H brings the pain like they do in Stranger in a Strange Land.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

I was from the first time that I heard Maiden an Adrian Smith fan (and that was with Somwhere in Time also!). I didn't knew at the begging that those parts of the songs where made by him, but latter when I started learning the solos I find out those parts where his. Maybe it was because I couldn't play fast hammers and pulloffs but Adrian parts still to me where more of my liking.

To this day I just play all of his parts and I don't like Maiden without him!!! But I really like the albums with him back, every new one is better than the other. Much recomend them!
                              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                              custom made Les Paul
                              VOX Tonelab LE
                              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                              ADA MP1
                              BBE 422A
                              Lexicon MPX-G2
                              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                              Support Your Local 81

Comment