Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
    how is this news to u NOW??

its interesting how he's looked at it. he basically says that he wants someone who is more marty sounding. so is this just from a touring perspective, or does he want to the bands sound to return more to the sort of rust in peace era in the future?
    Marty played on much more than just RIP. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that was the only good album he played on, his work on the rest, perhaps excluding Cryptic, was shit.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
      Marty played on much more than just RIP. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that was the only good album he played on, his work on the rest, perhaps excluding Cryptic, was shit.
      oh yeah, what i meant was in a large number of fans view that as megadeth's best work, so he wants to return to that maybe

actually i like countdown to extinction as well, bit of a dark horse tho that album. still some good stuff tho

Comment

So Far, So Good, So What is the shit in my book...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
          So Far, So Good, So What is the shit in my book...
          yeah its great apart from the sex pistols cover. i wonder hat that guitarist does these dyas. i can't even remeber his name

Comment

Marty played on much more than just RIP. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that was the only good album he played on
            +1
            http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Whatever. All of Megadeth's 90's records, Risk included, were classics.
              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

risk?? thats not a classic at all. its like apoor pop rock album.

i'd dsay RIP, CTE, and CW were classic

Comment

I got into Megadeth during the run up to RIP, and when that album came out I was blown away. I thought Countdown to Extinction was crap when it came out, and it signaled as others have said, a cycle where Dave tried to go mainstream. It seemed like the right thing to do with Metallica making so much money - of course we know how that played out.

IMO, artists take these twists and turns in search of success and some work out better than others. Dave, to my eyes and ears, is one smart ahole - Metal is angry. Metal is hardcore. Seems like Dave tries to keep one foot firmly in the mud, ready to kick the shit out of someone. The other half of him is selling himself nonstop. Some people hate this persona, want to crap on his creations. Whatever, man - people are pricks. Megadeth puts out at least 2 kick ass tunes, per album. I can't ask too much more than that and solid live performances from a band.

On topic: Dave's just describing a couple guitarists using analogies that build up his band's history and mythos. Of course he knows the difference between all of these guys on a technical level. From all signs, the Drovers delivered the goods and anyone should be satisfied with their contributions. We ALL know Shawn Drover is a bottom feeder in the drum world, but he's a good, stable guy. When you find a drummer that shows up, does his part and doesn't piss everyone off - good god, you've struck gold.

Chris Broderick is a big trade up and hopefully his style meshes well in context. He's definitely a professional in every sense of the word, and it seems like he is well suited to get along with 'deth inc.

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
                    Whatever. All of Megadeth's 90's records, Risk included, were classics.
                    huh...?

Killing is my Buisness is Megadeth to me.
                    Last edited by Trem; 02-03-2008, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Their 80's stuff is classic, too. Of course. That's the formation of the band. But the 90's version became the classic lineup, and that lineup (minus Nick) produced Risk (and CW). Listen to Risk with an open mind and you'll hear that there are some really good songs on there. I liked "I'll Be There For You" instantly, but the version of it on the recent live DVD cements the fact that it's just a really good song.

On the last three records, Megadeth has become a sort of cover band of itself. But the idea of the band from the very start was Dave plus whoever was knocking around at the time. It's not like he was childhood friends with any of these guys. The differences seem to be: a) his reliance on the opinions of and input from hired gun producers who didn't grow up listening to Megadeth; and b) his lack of band members who are willing to say no to some of his songwriting choices that have become somewhat tired, who also didn't grow up listening to Megadeth.
                      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                        how is this news to u NOW??
                        Some of us aren't chained to the internet..

Comment

I'm standing by The Drovers..I think they did an awesome job in Megadeth. I really like the "U.B.".. To be honest I completely lost interest in Megadeth for a very long time. There's were so many underground metal bands kicking their ass. My interest perked a bit when TSHF was released. It was a good attempt to be true to form but the writing along w/ Poland's solos didn't do too much for me at all. The Drovers really kicked it in the ass IMO..the playing /writing is very very good. Unfornutely that line-up won't get a chance to grow. Chris Broderick is an amazing player..I only have his work with Jag Panzer and ryjhthm work with NM to judge him by. Jag Panzer, like Megaseth have their own sound and there isn't that much difference in the writing style w /Joey Tafolla or Chris. NM's influence is blatant on their last "Casting The Stone" I know Dave writes ALL of the music..so, I'm curious to see how this gels. My prediction is, it won't be too far removed from the last two Megadeth cds..by nature, Chris B is a bit more over the top..I'm sure Dave will capitalize on that..we hope.

Harry and JP were extremely bummed when Chris first joined the band..Harry told me this..they really missed Joey. Chrsi has something to proove and busted ass getting to the level he is. The last time I saw JP I asked if they were still bummed about JT, Harry said..No way, Chris is awesome!!! I knew he was going to say that...yes, he is awesome!!

Oh No..I bet Harry is bummed now..maybe Chris will do double duty or they may get Joey back.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X