Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh.. my...GOD !! Steve Vai at the "Astoria London"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a GREAT DVD!!!!!
    I've been watching that over and over again.. Can't have enough
    Perfect playing!!!

But Steve... Even one WRONG note would make me feel much better!
    http://www.witheredwithin.com
    http://www.myspace.com/witheredwithinband

Comment

I love how they open with Shyboy and nail every crazy part and solo. Sheehan and Vai are a perfect match.

Comment

It is a must have DVD for sure. My copy has seen heavy play for the year I've had it.

Comment

Of course, I own this and love it also. Simply unbelievable, but I've always thought that of Vai. Makes you realize that guys like Vai, who don't ruin their "God given out of this world talent" by going down the endless substance abuse trail just keep getting better with age. No one can touch such talent,,,,it is just something natural to these guys that no amount of practice could emulate. It's a shame EVH, George Lynch, etc.... couldn't pull off what Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jon Petrucci, etc,are doing, and that is utilizing their talents to the max.....taking care of themselves physically, and forgetting about trying to stay commercial. That was Lynch's downfall, trying to fit into the "current" craze and losing his focus over and over,,,and EVH,,,,well, we know what his downfall sadly is. I just can't believe Ed doesn't realize how he is ruining himself,,,,,,IMHO the greatest rock guitarist EVER! He could be in his prime right now, too.
          Last edited by lynchfan6; 12-22-2007, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you're a little late on that one! It's a great dvd though, I've watched it a bazillion times and I'm not even a huge Vai fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse Called War View Post
              I like Vai, but his playing and music is too good for me, way over my head I also have the G3 in Denver DVD (Vai, Satch,Malmsteen) and it kicks ass too.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I've never been the biggest fan of Vai but I've always had huge amounts of respect for him. I have found that his music can get a bit too eclectic for my tastes and too far up in the stratosphere for me to get my head around.

I really dig that this guy can express himself so well musically and spiritually through his music (and in particular the electric guitar). The spiritual aspect of Vai is something that I really look up to.

Live At The Astoria is probably my favourite Vai release. I think that's because it's live. I've found it a little difficult to get into some of his studio releases. But live, damn this boy (and accompanying all star band) can hit it.

Comment

I must be the only on in the world who dislikes that dvd

Comment

Originally posted by JC_Denton View Post
                  I must be the only on in the world who dislikes that dvd
                  No, you can add me to the list too.
                  http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Originally posted by LastInLine View Post
                    No argument here. When you watch him play on this DVD you get the feeling that there is nothing the man can't do on a guitar.
                    except write a good song.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I went to see G3 (Satch, Vai and Eric Johnson) at the Shepherds Bush Empire (UK), 4th of June 97. I had been playing guitar for about a year and I believe that this gig was what made me mentally give up trying to be a good guitarist
                      The songs weren't to my liking but you couldn't help but be astounded at how well they could play ("well" meaning bloody fast and hit all the notes they wanted to).
                      They all did their own solo stuff and then came out on stage to jam together, after about 10 minutes of that they introduced to the stage Brian May!
                      I realsie Brian isn't the most competant or fastest guitarist but he could write riffs like no one else on that stage could. He knew he was out of his league, the look on his face as he was watching the others made the night yet when it came to his guitar part of the phrase it still fitted what the others were doing and still sounded awesome. More quality and less quantity.

At the end of it they said they would do a signing the day after at Tower records (if my memory serves me). Of course I was there, got my ticket and CD sleeve signed by Vai and Satch, shame that May wasn't there. Johnson was a no show either but no one seemed bothered

The nail in the coffin was when I shook their hands and realised that not only could they play exceptionally fast, they could do it with a palm full of sausages instead of fingers. Vai's hand was about the size of my head at the time, how does he get those things moving at such a rate?

Comment

Working...
                      X