Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh.. my...GOD !! Steve Vai at the "Astoria London"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh.. my...GOD !! Steve Vai at the "Astoria London"...

Im sure im way late to this party..as most of you probably own this..
    but tonight im laying in a pool of my own piss! This is hands down
    the greatest guitar DVD Ever! Ive seen just about everything...and ive
    been a Fan of Billy Sheehan before seeing this...but this night..the boys were ON!
    If by chance you dont own this one.. do!! Its like seeing what
    guitar players will be doing 60 years from now... Jimi...Eddie..Vai!
    And really..Vai is the hands down best of all time. Maybe not in song
    selection, but in ability? My god..i quit! Others in this vid are Tony McAlpine.. some kid
    who is a bad ass too (gotta add, Neil Peart Jr. on the drums too!)...this might be the greatest guitar experience
    of my life! Someone WAS at the Crossroads...and it wasnt Ralph
    Machio!

Last edited by Robert Burns; 12-11-2007, 10:30 PM.

Robert,
    Welcome to 3 years ago...

Kidding. That is a great DVD...

Now you can put those LED lights on your Bad Horsie...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Yup. That DVD is AWESOME. Seeing that is the reason I bought my first JEM (7VWH), which ended up becoming my #1 guitar and led to me buying 3 RGs and 2 more JEMs (along with selling off most of my other guitars) within the next couple of years. The Alien Love Secrets DVD is pretty cool, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
        And really..Vai is the hands down best of all time. Maybe not in song
        selection, but in ability? My god..i quit!
        No argument here. When you watch him play on this DVD you get the feeling that there is nothing the man can't do on a guitar.

Comment

I agree, great DVD. Overall outstanding playing. At times Steve over-did the video effects, but the playing is top notch. Oh, and it was filmed over two nights. You can catch a few instances where Tony suddenly has a different guitar when the camera shifts to a different angle.

Comment

Haven't seen the DVD but the accompanying CD is awesome as well. Reminds me why I did not, have not and will not give up my day job. Kinda soul destroying really.

Comment

Originally posted by thebeggar View Post
              Haven't seen the DVD but the accompanying CD is awesome as well. Reminds me why I did not, have not and will not give up my day job. Kinda soul destroying really.
              yep..+1 on that

And imo the best song on this is "Chameleon"...by Sheehan. Perfect in my book
              Last edited by Robert Burns; 12-12-2007, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I like Vai, but his playing and music is too good for me, way over my head I also have the G3 in Denver DVD (Vai, Satch,Malmsteen) and it kicks ass too.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                  ...Others in this vid are Tony McAlpine.. some kid
                  who is a bad ass too (gotta add, Neil Peart Jr. on the drums too!)...
                  Surely you are joking calling Tony Macalpine "some kid"... he's been doing the instrumental guitar thing since the mid 80's and is also a virtuoso pianist. If you don't already have it, check out "Edge of Insanity" (released in 1986 on Shrapnel) to see what I'm talking about. He's released a quite a few solo albums and also appears on a few Planet X discs as well. To think a player of his caliber is backing up Vai is just sick. I do not mean to slam Vai as he is an incredible player as well, but I'm much more a Macalpine fan than a Vai fan. Vai's playing is too out there for me. Tony plays in that neo-classical style that I really gravitate toward. Instead of over-doing technique like alot of guys do, he plays with alot of emotion and melody. Outstanding.

I haven't picked up this show as I'm not a huge Vai guy and I have three G3 DVD's, but I'm curious... Does Tony get a chance to shine as well? If so, I may have to grab it.

Comment

Own it... Love it... Great DVD

-Nate
                    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Nevermind... you're probably talking about Dave Wiener.

I'm a little dense...

Comment

I have it too. I got kinda bored with it after a while. I must check it out again sometime soon, because i did love it.
                        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

It's great to listen but the camera crew didn't have a clue on how to record a guitar player live... too bad. But isn't Vai going to record a new DVD?
                          '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                          '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                          custom made Les Paul
                          VOX Tonelab LE
                          Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                          ADA MP1
                          BBE 422A
                          Lexicon MPX-G2
                          ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                          Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                            Surely you are joking calling Tony Macalpine "some kid"... he's been doing the instrumental guitar thing since the mid 80's and is also a virtuoso pianist. If you don't already have it, check out "Edge of Insanity" (released in 1986 on Shrapnel) to see what I'm talking about. He's released a quite a few solo albums and also appears on a few Planet X discs as well. To think a player of his caliber is backing up Vai is just sick. I do not mean to slam Vai as he is an incredible player as well, but I'm much more a Macalpine fan than a Vai fan. Vai's playing is too out there for me. Tony plays in that neo-classical style that I really gravitate toward. Instead of over-doing technique like alot of guys do, he plays with alot of emotion and melody. Outstanding.

I haven't picked up this show as I'm not a huge Vai guy and I have three G3 DVD's, but I'm curious... Does Tony get a chance to shine as well? If so, I may have to grab it.
                            Err... there are three guitarists in the Vai band on this video. "The kid" is a 20-year-old (at the time) guy who is indeed a great player in his own right. He even gets a solo segment and when he's done, after the applause Vai comes back out and says "He taught me how to do that!"

So relax, nobody called Tony a kid. In fact when Vai introduced the band he complimented Tony profusely and said "He might just kick my ass tonight!"

Macalpine has a keyboard solo and does some amazing harmony stuff as welol as trade-offs with Vai on guitar. It's a great DVD.

Edit: I read on and see you realized your mistake. don't feel bad, I can be dense too!:ROTF:
                            Last edited by lerxstcat; 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[quote=khabibissell;1023913]Surely you are joking calling Tony Macalpine "some kid"... he's been doing the instrumental guitar thing since the mid 80's and is also a virtuoso pianist. If you don't already have it, check out "Edge of Insanity" (released in 1986 on Shrapnel) to see what I'm talking about. He's released a quite a few solo albums and also appears on a few Planet X discs as well. To think a player of his caliber is backing up Vai is just sick. I do not mean to slam Vai as he is an incredible player as well, but I'm much more a Macalpine fan than a Vai fan. Vai's playing is too out there for me. Tony plays in that neo-classical style that I really gravitate toward. Instead of over-doing technique like alot of guys do, he plays with alot of emotion and melody. Outstanding.

I haven't picked up this show as I'm not a huge Vai guy and I have three G3 DVD's, but I'm curious... Does Tony get a chance to shine as well? If so, I may have to grab it.[/quote

************** No i didnt mean Tony was "Some Kid"... the "Some Kid" thing was the 20 year old on the right side of the stage. Dave Wiener? I dig McAlpine too...but i gravitate towards a blusier, Satch,Greg
                              Howe, Vai tech... and get to board with the Malmsteen neo classical.
                              Great to see that Vai doesnt have an ego, and is open to having such
                              a monster player like Tony right there with him. And yes...Tony gets to shine especially on Key's..
                              for about 8 minutes alone...and then does some sick dual shred stuff with Vai...about 3 times also.
                              This "Astoria" is the ultimate imo... a guitar shred fest just cant get any better!

Comment

Working...
                              X