Any love for Neil Giraldo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. The solos do seem within reach but are still great. Another song with great playing in that tasty, powerful vein (IMO) is "Jane" by Jefferson Starship (Craig Chaquico).
    I love that song.
    I keep trying to get my cover band to play it but the singer isn't comfortable with Mickey Thomas' high range, and she's female.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Sorry guys but I have to mention him....

Aldo Nova

Fantasy has a great guitar solo in it too. Its perfect for the song.

Comment

Neil is fucking great, very respected dude among pro musicians
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

+1, my wife is always suprised when I throw Pat's Greatest hits CD in my practice mix. Underrated, and cool.

Comment

so did neil and pat ever get married? i know many years ago they said they were going to tie the knot. he is a good guitarist that has good taste in guitars (b.c. rich). my favorite song by pat benatar is fire and ice. she has a great voice.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              I consider Neil in the same league as Elliot Easton. The thing I liked best about Neil is his tone. Both he and Myron Grumbacker were in The Rick Derringer Band.
              Ive always liked him! His tone was raw..when others were overly
              processed. "Hell is for Children"..."promises in the Dark"...all great
              hooks, and monster raw tone! He's still rippin even today at what? 55?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                Sorry guys but I have to mention him....

Aldo Nova

Fantasy has a great guitar solo in it too. Its perfect for the song.
                What i dig about "Fantasy"...is the first 20 seconds! That 2nd player
                rips those power chords as Aldo gets out of the Chopper, and Lasers that
                door open! (of course that was real, right?

Comment

I thought they have been married a long time. They have a teen daughter at least.

Bengal,

The BC Rich Bich in that video is a metalic pink color. It's the only time I've seen him play it. I don't know what the deal is with the video - sometimes it's on youtube, then it seems to get pulled.

Comment

Neil's a great hard rock player. His solos always make a statement and build to a cool climax. I played a lot of Benatar covers in bands in the late 70s and early 80s and his solos were a pleasure and a challenge to get right. I really like the one in Promises in the Dark a lot, probably the last one I worked up.

Great composer of the perfect solo for a song, that's how I think of Neil.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Excellent player. I'm not a big fan, but everytime I hear his solos, I'm impressed. The guy always seems to play the right thing... very tasteful. His style is also really identifyable, which to me is the mark of a good player. Also he plays with alot of feeling, whether he's burning or being melodic.

Because of him, I can actually sit through "Jessie's Girl" because of that great solo

Comment

The funny thing is, I was playing Guitar Hero III last night for the first time, and Hit Me With Your Best Shot is one of the 1st songs you have to work through...I was thinking the SAME thing - great feel to the solo, got to thinking just how under rated he is...

And yes - I'm dead serious!
                        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Some great comments. The dude flat out rips and it's good to see that he gets some credit. At least by those "in the know"...

I was listening to some Benatar. Heartbreaker. You Better Run. Treat Me Right. Just some great stuff with excellent guitar playing...

We'll try to forget about Shadows Of The Night. Man... That video... Wow...

I was looking at the liner notes for her greatest hits. Seems like she had some writers. I always thought they wrote their own stuff. Well, they did. Giraldo and Benatar wrote Promises In The Dark. Giraldo wrote We Live For Love by himself. But looking at the BIG hits, Hit Me (E. Schwartz) and Love Is A Battlefield (M.Chapman-H. Knight) both written by someone else. Interesting...
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                            The funny thing is, I was playing Guitar Hero III last night for the first time, and Hit Me With Your Best Shot is one of the 1st songs you have to work through...I was thinking the SAME thing - great feel to the solo, got to thinking just how under rated he is...

And yes - I'm dead serious!
                            Like I said, that solo is about as complete as it gets. Very well written. It's not easy to write a solo and say something. He does it quite well...
                            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I really like Neil's playing. In fact, the first concert I ever saw was Pat Benatar on the "Fire and Ice" tour. His playing teamed with Pat's voice is a killer combo.
                              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                                We'll try to forget about Shadows Of The Night. Man... That video... Wow
                                I love Pat but that video is just silly fun. And for the record, the Germans didn't fly AT-6's during WW II.
                                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                                X