Any love for Neil Giraldo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any love for Neil Giraldo?

I often bring up his name when talking of favorite guitarists. Usually someone doesn't know who he is. He's always been one of my all time favorites. Very tasty. Not too flashy. Says a lot with not many notes. Doesn't overplay, fits right in the pocket. But really brings it...

Hard to say what my favorite solo of his is. It usually comes down to three. "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is one. That solo is just about as perfectly written as it gets. Second is "Promises In The Dark". Not only does the song kills, so does the solo. Third is "I'm Gonna Follow You". That's a perfect example of saying a lot with few notes. Very ambient. With feeling...

He and Pat are a perfect fit. He brings the rock, she brings the pipes. Her and Ann Wilson are the best female singers, IMHO. None better...

But it makes me wonder if he doesn't get enough credibility because he plays in more of a pop rock band. He's not usually mentioned when it comes to great guitarists...

Oh well, I'm going to go listen to Crimes Of Passion...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

my ex-wife thought he was sexy-hot. she wanted to fuck him. so, yeah, there is SOME love for him!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I agree that he's a great player.

It's funny that you mentioned Ann Wilson in your post, because I consider both Neil Geraldo and Howard Leese (Heart) in the same category of little known but excellent players, with great, tasty leads.

Comment

quiksilver,
        Good call! Leese fits in the same vein as Giraldo. Both great players that no one talks about. Both overshadowed by the female singer...

Comment

I've always liked him.
          Unfortunately, he was overshadowed by other players of the 80's
          and didn't get the attention and recognition he was deserving of.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

he
            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
            Amp... Pioneer
            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

I like him a lot. Because of him, I have gas for a BC Rich Bich found in the Precious Time video. For some reason I can't find the video on youtube, but here is another that kicks ass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz1RiIp-9mU

edit: This REALLY kicks ass!

Even though I suck trying to play Neil's stuff, it is still fun to play.
              Last edited by DonP; 12-04-2007, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Don,
                I always wanted a BC Rich Eagle because he played one back in the day. I don't remember the video for Precious Time, but I love that song. Another trippy kinda vibe going on in that song. But his tone is excellent on that track...

That's what I've always liked about him. His level seemed somewhat reachable. Like if I practiced hard enough, I could get somewhere on that level. There is no way I could be Vai, but maybe like him. But then I think about writing solos and his phrasing and all that and I know I'd never be like him. But I still try. And his songs are fun to play...

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean. The solos do seem within reach but are still great. Another song with great playing in that tasty, powerful vein (IMO) is "Jane" by Jefferson Starship (Craig Chaquico).

Comment

Neil is solid! I saw them a couple of years ago and he's a real good player, not to mention the song writing skills. I guess he was once in Rick Derringer's band.

Comment

I consider Neil in the same league as Elliot Easton. The thing I liked best about Neil is his tone. Both he and Myron Grumbacker were in The Rick Derringer Band.

Comment

yeah my band plays Hit Me with your Best Shot.

parts of that solo were hard to learn, but now I've played it 300 times so I have it down. I was pleasantly surprised how good his playing is, while learning the guitar parts.

we also do Heartbreaker which has some cool timing parts.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Love neil, glad to see him getting some recognition here! Played in a female fronted cover band quite a few years back. Benatars stuff was awesome. Never got bored of hit me with your best shot.That solo always seemed to just set me free. It justs flows from begining to end. As was stated very tastefull,not too much,not too little. Worked perfectly with the tune!

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                            Yeah, I know what you mean. The solos do seem within reach but are still great. Another song with great playing in that tasty, powerful vein (IMO) is "Jane" by Jefferson Starship (Craig Chaquico).
                            I always liked Craigs chops as well. Third concert I saw was JS on the Winds Of Change tour. That guy can really bring it...

Nice to see some love for this guy...
                            Last edited by Bengal; 12-05-2007, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Great player with fantastic phrasing. I still spin old Benetar albums frequently. Always loved his BCR's as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X