Vai's Green Meanie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vai\'s Green Meanie

Green Meanie is indeed Basswood. Grover was making Basswood guitars for Allen Holdsworth before Steve showed up.

Comment

From all the pictures and replicas I've seen the green meanie has been through so many changes that it would be pointless to try to do a copy of it unless you are gonna say something like "I used the version from the Alcatrazz video" or "I used the one from blah blah blah."

Point is use the gutiar as a starting point and throw your own ideas in there. Personally I would do it in 24 frets with an angled back neck and just a single volume knob.
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
        Green Meanie is indeed Basswood. Grover was making Basswood guitars for Allen Holdsworth before Steve showed up.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Man, i'm shock! Basswood.. and Allen Holdsworth..there don't seems to match..

So it was Grover's idea to use Basswood for the gream meanie? As it was said that the grean meanie was "given" to Vai not made for Vai.

And are there many Charvel Strat out there with basswood body?

Thanx
        Fong

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenScratch:
          From all the pictures and replicas I've seen the green meanie has been through so many changes that it would be pointless to try to do a copy of it unless you are gonna say something like "I used the version from the Alcatrazz video" or "I used the one from blah blah blah."

Point is use the gutiar as a starting point and throw your own ideas in there. Personally I would do it in 24 frets with an angled back neck and just a single volume knob.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what i have in mind!! but with the tone and volume knobs.

Comment

Fong I think there were a few basswood guitars floating around for Allan Holdsworth...I remember reading an interview with George Lynch from back in the day, and he said that Grover and Allan were experimenting with different wood types. One of George's Bengal Charvels was made of basswood (the one that bret owns), and he didn't like it too much as I recall...but Bret seems to like it just fine!

Comment

yeah, according to lynch, he went to Mr. Jackson and asked him what body wood was best. and Grover told him, basswood. lynch got the bengal made, and decided he hated the way it sounded, and ended up swapping it straight up for a red kramer baretta. which he didn;t play before he traded. i think he ended up hating that one too. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X