Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Criss Oliva

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
    Wow, what to say about Chriss, he is truly one of my biggest influences. I stole stuff from lotsa people, EVH, YJM, Vinnie Moore, Iommi, Page etc. but I really snagged a lot of feel and techniques from Chriss Oliva. Not the most advanced polayer, but that guy had a amazingly cool emotion to his playing that I really felt drawn to.

I've also gotta say, he was one of the nicest "band" guys I've met, always had a minute to talk with you it seemed. I was crushed when he died.

My favorite general tone of his was probably on HOTMK. I've nailed that before pretty well without using whateverit was he was using, and have moved on to a comparable but heavier sound.

I'd have to say, after you get to a certain point in your tone, it REALLY becomes all about nailing the emotion the guy has in his phrasing. Takes a lot of listening and getting the vibe.

We used to do a LOT of SavaTunes in our setlist when I was in my last cover band. Audience be damned, you're gonna get some Savatage kids. Luckily, it became a popular part of our set when we'd go through a few. We'd often open the second set with Sirens. And usually stuff like Cities/Dungeons, 24 hours, and more would follow, usually ending out the show with Hall of the Mountain King. Just seemed fitting to me.

We definitely gained a "Legion" of devoted Savafans for sure, and the Chriss vibe was really in the house some nights, almost eerie actually.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you're doing that intentionally... For that, you should be locked up in a room with Ron and a dictionary. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Muahahahahahahaha!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Do you guys think there is enough fan base to do a great "classic" Savatage Tribute band???!!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd go see one. Repeatedly...if they were good. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

No problem man, glad to spread the word. If not for this place, I think I probably would've gotten into him a lot later, or not at all, which would've been a shame. I notice that there's a few guys who ALWAYS post when something about Criss comes up-Tekky, Bill, John, and myself...I guess we are dedicated!

Comment

I never followed Savatage or Oliva. Is he the guitar player in TSO? What albums do you suggest for a Oliva nubie? I did hear that he played or plays a Charvel Predator.

Comment

He died in 93, so he never got the chance to be involved with TSO. I think you outta go pick up Gutter Ballet, Streets, and Hall of the Mountain King by Savatage to get a good feel for his playing. You won't be dissappointed! He used lots of different import Charvels and Jacksons, a re-logoed ESP guitar for his main guitar, and even a San Dimas-built Charvel Strat in the earlier days.

Comment

There seems to be so many guitar playing fans of his I gotta get educated. I didn't even know that he died. Shame on me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

He is my 2nd favorite of all time. 2nd only to the man who had the very first Jackson. Hall of the Mountain King and Gutter Ballet are a must in my CD collection. The riffs and solo's he wrote are unlike anyone else. I have Streets too, but my honest opinion is uhh, well, that album is just weird.....

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear:
                    He is my 2nd favorite of all time. 2nd only to the man who had the very first Jackson. Hall of the Mountain King and Gutter Ballet are a must in my CD collection. The riffs and solo's he wrote are unlike anyone else. I have Streets too, but my honest opinion is uhh, well, that album is just weird.....

Matt
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with all that, except I beg to differ with your assessment of Streets. Yes, it's a very different CD, but the concept and songwriting are brilliant. The shredding ain't bad either!
                    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Like Tekky, Criss was one of my biggest influences, and definitely one of the reasons I play Charvel/Jackson. I last saw him live in March '92. A life too short, for sure. Criss: [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess I should listen to it some more. Maybe it is something that will grow on me.

Comment

Yeah, it's cool stuff. Just a departure from traditional Savatage.

Comment

yeah i too had the same "ehhh....." reaction to streets. gutter ballet though...sheer brilliance. pick up the nuclear blast tribute live album! excellent solo spot for criss.

Comment

Working...
                          X