• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criss Oliva

all hail Criss [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Re: Criss Oliva

It's about time that it's not about your pp. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Occupy JCF

Comment

sorry about the typo. criss is one of my favorites too. i was glad when they came out with "Ghost in the Ruins: a Tribute to Criss Oliva" this is a great live album!! too bad there isnt a gallery of his guitars. ive looked everywhere.
      on a somewhat related note, tribute live albums are great! i really wish they would release a Robbin Crosby tribute album. in fact there isnt any Ratt live album. is there really that much bad blood within the band concerning him? i know s pearcy put out some garge tapes album or something.

Comment

www.robbincrosby.net

Comment

holy geez i didnt even know that site existed. thanks! ive always associated him with his "catfish" firebird.

Comment

Criss Oliva

i was wondering if anyone knew of any sites that had pictures/information on criss oliva's charvels?

[ February 12, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]

Comment

Sorry man, it's a pet-peeve of mine to see Criss' name spelled incorrectly. He's possibly my biggest influence. I hold him in as high regard as others here do with Randy Rhoads.

There are a couple of sites that are linked on the official Savatage site. However they're very ambiguous about his Jacksons and Charvels. So, no there isn't anything specifically about his guitars.... yet... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by stratheadcharvel:
                chiss oliva's
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm, looks like Tekky needs to be spanked for not doing the editing job right! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] hahahahaha! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ahhh shuddup....

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Maybe that monkey can spank you. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by stratheadcharvel:
                      chiss oliva's
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm, looks like Tekky needs to be spanked for not doing the editing job right! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] hahahahaha! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I noticed that too, but I didn't want to say anything in case I mysteriously found myself unable to log into the forum tomorrow.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say what a fantastic job I think the admins are doing, particularly Tekky. He's the best!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Do you guys think there is enough fan base to do a great "classic" Savatage Tribute band???!!

I know Criss used a 100wt. JCM 800 lead series ..w/channel switching (I can NEVER remember the model #)...Chris Caffery has that amp ....It's the EOT tone ...my favorite!

I have a pretty cool bootleg of 'Tage in a small club ...Criss looked so happy and was talking to the crowd while the rest of the band was taking a break before the encore ....The concert was in PA in '93...Criss was always getting better by leaps and bounds ...you can hear his progress since Sirens ...and that kicks total ass!!

He was amoung the true Gods of guitar!!!!

Could you imagine the music he's would of made ..Savatage woudn't taken a plunge into the toilet!

Criss was Savatage!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Brother CM John should do a tribute ....he's soooo good at the Oliva stuff....shit he should be in 'Tage IMO [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill I think that one's the 2210...it's the one like Pete just sold. According to Caffery he used that or a Laney AOR with two Super Overdrives and a Boss chorus (the one with two knobs), and a Rockman preamping the Marshall, and an Alesis for delays, and sometimes a Peavey graphic eq...all that later on anyway. I actually met this dude who works at the Guitar Center here who told me about how he became friends with Criss after a show here in NC, and he owns a black Charvel Predator that used to be Criss' as well as some picks, photos, etc. He told me to give him a call next time I come by and he'll bring it in for me to check out, but I haven't gotten a chance to come back yet. I'd love to see the bootleg that you have!!

Comment

Criss was a friggin animal live!!!! We opened for Savatage during the Gutter and Edge of Thorns shows here in St. Louis and all I could do was stand there in awe. I would pay for a copy of them live on video. Great guy. He is missed.

Adrian
                            All hail the 'King'
                            R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Wow, what to say about Chriss, he is truly one of my biggest influences. I stole stuff from lotsa people, EVH, YJM, Vinnie Moore, Iommi, Page etc. but I really snagged a lot of feel and techniques from Chriss Oliva. Not the most advanced polayer, but that guy had a amazingly cool emotion to his playing that I really felt drawn to.

I've also gotta say, he was one of the nicest "band" guys I've met, always had a minute to talk with you it seemed. I was crushed when he died.

My favorite general tone of his was probably on HOTMK. I've nailed that before pretty well without using whateverit was he was using, and have moved on to a comparable but heavier sound.

I'd have to say, after you get to a certain point in your tone, it REALLY becomes all about nailing the emotion the guy has in his phrasing. Takes a lot of listening and getting the vibe.

We used to do a LOT of SavaTunes in our setlist when I was in my last cover band. Audience be damned, you're gonna get some Savatage kids. Luckily, it became a popular part of our set when we'd go through a few. We'd often open the second set with Sirens. And usually stuff like Cities/Dungeons, 24 hours, and more would follow, usually ending out the show with Hall of the Mountain King. Just seemed fitting to me.

We definitely gained a "Legion" of devoted Savafans for sure, and the Chriss vibe was really in the house some nights, almost eerie actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X