evanesance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: evanesance

hell yea, man! When I first met my wife, she'd just moved out on her own after living with this minister's family (moved in with them due to a bad situation at home with her folks) who were forbidden from listening to ANY secular music. She still owns some CDs by Michael W Smith & some others I can't recall, some of it's not bad music, but HEAVY on the preachin'!. When I met her, probably the heaviest band she'd heard was Petra.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by micha:
      you wanna tell me there are really people out there who are THAT christian that they wouldn't listen to anything else before they ensured it's whritten by another christian?!?
      wow....

make your own problems if you can't find any... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [/QB]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That wasn't exactly what I said, but as VG said it is true. There is a substantial Christian music industry, which has most styles of music including rock and metal.

Why is that different than any other group of folks who lisen to one type of music exclusively? Most want to listen to music that agrees with their philosophy, why would Christians not? My
      point was that Wind-up Records wanted to cash in on that market, and by placing a
      song in the Daredevil movie they also hit
      big in the secular market. I think Amy in her interview said she is Christian, yet I also understand why they want to not be labeled as a Christian band. The
      same label hurt Kings X's career. They were a band of Christians, but not a Christian band. Getting that label caused secular programmers to not want to
      play their stuff, and falling down from
      Atlantic to Metal Blade didn't help them
      either.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
        "I want to get down on my knees and and start pleasin' Jesus...I want to feel his salvation all over my face"...

Eric Cartman ...of Faith + one.

Cartman is my hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">who was that ? not one of yours I hope [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] and ya extol is great one of the only good christain bands out there , have you heard Demon hunter yet Bill ? they are good as well kinda going a bit hardcore though and I don't like that [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by micha:
          you wanna tell me there are really people out there who are THAT christian that they wouldn't listen to anything else before they ensured it's whritten by another christian?!?
          wow....

make your own problems if you can't find any... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That wasn't exactly what I said, but as VG said it is true. There is a substantial Christian music industry, which has most styles of music including rock and metal.

Why is that different than any other group of folks who lisen to one type of music exclusively? Most want to listen to music that agrees with their philosophy, why would Christians not? My
          point was that Wind-up Records wanted to cash in on that market, and by placing a
          song in the Daredevil movie they also hit
          big in the secular market. I think Amy in her interview said she is Christian, yet I also understand why they want to not be labeled as a Christian band. The
          same label hurt Kings X's career. They were a band of Christians, but not a Christian band. Getting that label caused secular programmers to not want to
          play their stuff, and falling down from
          Atlantic to Metal Blade didn't help them
          either. [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kings X is great I really like those guys they are nice and weird like opeth or something , but Doug is Gay now and hates all christian's so he has said anyway in interveiws and stuff , must make some of the older material hard to cover hey [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] like the stuff off faith , hope , love .//Steve

Comment

Yeah, Doug has the "sin" that most Christians find hardest to forgive. I do not get gay guys (girls are different [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) but I was a big drughead for almost 25 years, so who am I to judge? The idea is "hate the sin, love the sinner" but too many "Christians" are very judgemental.
            They don't understand why Jesus exposed the Pharisees for the hypocrites they were - not that we aren't all hypocrites to a degree. Those who claim not to be are just more hypocritical. Doug to me is no more or less than one of the greatest artists who hasn't gotten his due respect and success. Every band who've used Drop D and Drop C tunings for the past 15 years should be sending money to Kings X. Alice In Chains admitted to ripping off Kings X, which is cool enough, but Jerry should go on and send 'em a check.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Not that Ben Moody was any sort of virtuoso, but for being a nu-metal guitarist, he is/was at least able to play the instrument competently enough, instead of needing Fieldy-style bass or a DJ to hide an inability to play. Amy's voice is good, but not enough to interest me in the band. After listening to their CD a couple of times during the holidays, I still don't hear what the big deal is. I also don't understand why Lacuna Coil fans feel so threatened. Two "metal" bands with female vocalists does not translate to one band ripping off the other.

As for the whole Christian music angle, there's a South Park episode devoted to the subject...and quite a good one at that! Personally, I don't care what religion a band's members are in as long as they aren't preaching. Then again, Dissection is never going to make a comeback if Jon Nodtveidt won't allow anyone is who doesn't live and breathe Satanism... [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
              sigpic

Comment

"I want to get down on my knees and and start pleasin' Jesus...I want to feel his salvation all over my face"...

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone:

Amy's voice is good, but not enough to interest me in the band. After listening to their CD a couple of times during the holidays, I still don't hear what the big deal is. I also don't understand why Lacuna Coil fans feel so threatened. Two "metal" bands with female vocalists does not translate to one band ripping off the other.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Simply put, they got a song onto the Daredevil soundtrack and their video was on the extras DVD when the home video was released. That generated buzz, and big sales, which propelled them to stardom.
                  Lacuna Coil fans see a surface similarity
                  and resent Evanescence as if they stole LC's spot. In fact, more people are apt to listen to Lacuna Coil because Amy Lee
                  acknowledges them, and Cristina, as influences. It may be because of Amy Lee
                  that Cristina was just able to quit her jobs as a barmaid and office girl and live on her pay as a musician. Those who boo her should think about that for a minute.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                    Yeah, Doug has the "sin" that most Christians find hardest to forgive. I do not get gay guys (girls are different [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) but I was a big drughead for almost 25 years, so who am I to judge? The idea is "hate the sin, love the sinner" but too many "Christians" are very judgemental.
                    They don't understand why Jesus exposed the Pharisees for the hypocrites they were - not that we aren't all hypocrites to a degree. Those who claim not to be are just more hypocritical. Doug to me is no more or less than one of the greatest artists who hasn't gotten his due respect and success. Every band who've used Drop D and Drop C tunings for the past 15 years should be sending money to Kings X. Alice In Chains admitted to ripping off Kings X, which is cool enough, but Jerry should go on and send 'em a check.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah Kings X is one of my faves as well , I don't care if he's [doug] gay , Halford is also one of my Faves and it doesn't bother me there either , but yes some christians lose their Love when it comes to this topic . but as far as politics are concerned I still don't think others [the general public] should have to pay for they're life style , up in Canada it's a lot different than the states and Canada puts up with anything I think it's gonna be the downfall of our country all these choises that they make for us with out our concent and when you tell em no they laugh at you and pass all the bills anyway , bastards [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .//Steve

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That episode was pure brilliance! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't care if he's [doug] gay
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Doug of King's X is gay? Didn't know that. No wonder the cowboy hat and stuff [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . I don't really care though, King's X has more than proven themselves as a kickass band. I saw them open for Joe Satriani and Dream Theater a couple years ago, and they were by far the best opening band I've ever seen. Hell, they were so good I can't even consider them to be an opening band.

Comment

what are some good christian metal bands? (besides evanescence now... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

I got curious and wanna have a look what that looks like... a christian band...
                          NOT a band of christians. I think I got that difference...

I usually tend to not give a phuk about the lyrics if the musi kicks A$$ enough... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          just wanna see what the christian version of good metal looks like.
                          thx!!
                          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Tourniquet is supposed to be really good.
                            Marty Friedman played lead on their latest and was rumored to be joining the band, but that was apparently not true.

www.tourniquet.net is the URL, I think.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

of course it's not true, MF is having to much fun being a superstar in japan
                              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Torniquet is great ...got all their goodies ...but their last one with Marty on a tune is their worst one ... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X