Immortal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Immortal

Exactly , Take Black Metal for instance ...The almighty Venom coined the phrase "Black Metal" ...were they a Black metal band ...nope ...yes they were loud , fast and very Satanic ...they've sown the seeds to influence a genre of metal that they wern't part of.

That how this shit works ...somebody throws the ball and others catch the ball and take off with it...and when that band happends to succeed (because they are good) ...they are labeled as sell outs ....that BS [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

I'm not sayin' that there isn't sell outs ...Metallica sure proved that...but a lot of great bands are discarded before giving them proper attention or credit ...just because it doesn't meet someones criteria of what proper Black metal should be.....

I don't get it...nor do I care to..

What I don't get is a lot of Black metal bands have a great message ...IMO ...and that message gets lost in their incoherent screeches and growls...why write AWESOME "thought provoking" lyrics...if all your going to do is "burp" in the microphone.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ahhhhh fuck it... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

except for when Vortex or Garm start belting the black metal verses out. oh yeah baby! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

arcturus, Borknagar baby....4 ever!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:

Most of the people who are intent on the labels and on worshipping the old black bands who blow donkey dick, well, they probably play and sing like their idols. In other words, THEY SUCK TOO, so they love that which sucks, and dismiss that which is great as not "true" to whatever genre they spawned. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not "true" metal. It's probably more "true" than the mushy sloppy shit you think is good. You're just jealous of superior musicianship. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry to say but you can't say this in general. Just because a band doesn't play technical stuff doesn't mean they are losers with their instruments. Take for example Darkthrone. Yes they wrote quite some songs which are minimalistic in terms of used guitar riffs and technique. But if you listened to Soulside Journey you would see that Darkthrone did some other kind of music, more technical. Sure not as technical as new Death or Necrophagist but who is ?
        My point is that you shouldn't judge bands that way. Yes i also don't like most of those bands because i get tired when listening to the same riff over 3 minutes. And yes unquestionable there are quite some people in the black metal genre that can't play that well (it seems that those are the big majority of them). But it's not all of them. Some of them choose to play this style because they like it.
        Darkthrone has some very cool songs with a great atmosphere. Nothing you will get from Dimmu, just ain't gonna happen.

You say it's not ok to judge and label bands like DB and Cradle because they sell more records. But it should also be that you don't judge every raw black metal band as losers.
        http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Flo,

So you see how unfair it is for players and fans in the un-technical vein to slam
          the technical bands and say they're not metal then. It seems you have to use the same tactic against them, then when you/they say "That's unfair", I am saying
          "EXACTLY MY POINT!" You get it when you are on the receiving end of the criticism
          so why not see it from the other side?

This game of saying the bands one doesn't
          like aren't "true" to their genre is weak
          BS, IMO. I gave you an object lesson and
          you didn't like it, but it's no different
          than what the "raw" heads do. I sincerely do think it's jealousy of the higher caliber musicianship that prompts
          the "sellout" and "not metal" comments.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Found on the Southern Lord forum. DO NOT CLICK if you're at work or are easily offended by supergay manlove. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.myrevelations.de/bilder/v...l_immortal.jpg

I've heard Immortal. I hate those guys. I hate them so very much. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Isn't the drummer in Dimmu a former COF member? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              anyway,
              I'm from Norway, and I think the funniest thing is the names black metal bands use...they try so hard to make it sound sinister in poetic "turns" (?), I can't even take them seriously.

some examples:
              "en vind av sorg" - a wind of sorrow
              "når alt lys er svunnet hen" - when all light has withered away
              goes on, and on....

I totally agree with horns666 about the musicianship vs. "evil image", I had a Master Of Puppets poster in my room when I was 8 years old, my dad asked me how I felt about it (the puppeteer's hands etc.) I said to him: I don't care, I just like the music!! And to this day I feel the same about all bands.

But however, saying someone suck because they dig the first black metal recordings like Burzum, I have to disagree because that's just -their- taste.
              It would be lame though, if they dig it because of Varg Vikernes' publicity (burning churches, killing bass player etc.)

I'm not a fan of black metal in general, I never liked the style of vocals, but I definitely dig a couple of Dimmu songs like "mourning palace" and "raabjørn speiler draugheimens skodde" and even the new "progenies of the apocalypse", not because I give a shit about any religion but because those are well-written songs with great melodies and riffs.
              Also, I think it's great how Dimmu are having a break-through commercially, affording them good production on albums, nice videos etc. - more power to them, it's good for metal in general!
              We need this if we're ever gonna get out of this quicksand-ridden, MTV pop-swamp.

- Rune.

Comment

Black Metal is Black metal ...some good ...a lot bad...

So again I agree..

As for myself ...I love music that inspires me to become a better player and song writer...I like a challenge ...I make up riffs ..I can't even play yet... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I guess what I'm trying to say if a certain band inspires you ....then they served their purpose ...whether "I" like them or not...they all have a place in metal ..I suppose .

But to deny COF or DB their worthy place in the Black Metal genre just because it's not "raw" or whatever is just plain ignorant..

I happen to love COF...they are brilliant ...they are dynamic , technical , melodic and brutal but extrememly polished at the same time...and they inspire me to play my best ...so I guess they serve their purpose as well..and they always have the best drummers...Barker is a Drum God!!!

Besides their appeal are pulling in people who would normally not like Black Metal ....those people may research even further and find other bands such as Immortal or Satyricon because of this ....so again this is not a bad thing..

Bill Z Bub

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

some examples:
                  "en vind av sorg" - a wind of sorrow
                  "når alt lys er svunnet hen" - when all light has withered away
                  goes on, and on....
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To me that sounds good. And If you see something like this:
                  -ventos do desgosto
                  -quando toda a luz se esvanece
                  It could sound good to you, but it sounds shit to me.
                  I don't understand all this Immortal bashing since they were a #1 black metal band. I see Abath as a technician. I play guitar and I KNOW what I'm saying.Try to play some recent musics from Immortal and DB and see what's the hardest to play... -> Immortal
                  Calling gay cuz you don't like to a METAL band it's just plain stupidity and childish. Rob Halford is an "out of the closet" gay, still I like some of his tunes.
                  [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Rune ...I would LOVE to visit Norway...

One of these days I'll get to escape this ebonical loving USA ...at least just for a moment.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

• Re: Immortal

hehe, just let me know and we can share some Norwegian brew! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I'm moving to the Gold Coast in Australia in two weeks though...won't be back until December.
                      bad employment market and economy in general here in my town now, and since I have no obligations (loans, chicks, kids etc.) I figured what the hell, why not move 'round the globe study some music, and chill out sipping boat drinks on the beach! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                      (hopefully AC/DC will be touring in 2004 too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

- Rune.

Comment

Do you know how fuckin' nice that sounds to me right now.... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

hehehe ev vind av sorg sounds funny to you, what about half the homo titles power metal bands use, what about death metal bands using names like 'dead corpse'. lol, please, this whole argument is baseless, and if you really understood en vind av sorg, if you really listened to it properly, you'd feel its ambience, which goes with that song title quite well actually.
                          ahhh well, each to their own.

Comment

Alexi7 your absolutely right ...no arguement there!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                              I love great musicianship PERIOD ...I don't care if it's classical , Neo Classical , Black , Death , or Power metal....Good is good..

Fuck evil for evil sake ....If it sucks it sucks ...and I can honestly say I could write better and perform better than anything Immortal has done ...from what I heard ..that is no lie ...Their riffs are generic and juvenile..
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So you're an admitted wank-fan, that has nothing to do with metal. Metal's about the SOUND first, the SONG second and the optional wanking last. Immortal's riffs generic and juvenile? Once again, you prove what a complete idiot you are! Demonaz had a very innovative riffing style that Abbath has never been able to match.

Oh, and being a Satanist has nothing to do with metal, I've known plenty of 'em that don't even like metal. So that crutch doesn't lend you any more credibility. Even if it did, I'm sure you'd remain true to form as shown here and promptly insert your foot in your mouth to screw it up again. It's been a long time since I met a retard as full of themselves as you are. I'd really like to hear your fairy CoF/DB clone band, so I can laugh at it and then give it to the real Bill Zebub to review in his 'zine. When does your next CD come out?

What I don't get is a lot of Black metal bands have a great message ...IMO ...and that message gets lost in their incoherent screeches and growls...why write AWESOME "thought provoking" lyrics...if all your going to do is "burp" in the microphone....
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So by that same logic, you're discounting 90% of all thrash & death metal for the last 20 years... what are you an expert on? Masturbation? Nobody gives a fuck about "the message" anyway.

Nunslaughter...yeah I personaly know those guys..jeez [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] ..and I taught Geno of Decrepit to play bass as well....and they suck too..
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I figured you would - but then you act like you're the only one who does. Those guys get around a bit, ask Duaniac about me - he'll know who I am. Nunslaughter pisses all over your favorite cum-gargling poser fag bands. Douchebag.

Comment

What bug crawled up your "necro" ass? chill out flamer. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X