• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warren DiMartini (Charvels?) - Joins Dio For Maiden Tour

Did someone say Warren? Charvel? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

VERRRRRY NICE!! WARREN HAS SOME VERY NICE CHARVELS,AS DOES JAKE E.LEE, AND VIVIAN CAMPBELL,AND ETC............
      1990 Jackson Professional
      1992 Dean ML
      2004 Epiphone Flying V
      2005 Epiphone Dot
      2009 Fender Stratocaster
      2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
      2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
      2006 Fender P Bass
      2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
      1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
      1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
      Custom Pedalboard
      ADA MP1
      ADA FX2
      Tascam 2488

Comment

i guess warren is versatile..i dunno, define versatility.... i've never heard him play flamenco or jazz, so i can't really say. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

it just seems that he'd be an odd fit; going from playin tunes about shaggin the ladies to playin songs about dragons while the singer is having a laser fight. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully (putting flame suit on!)

[ May 22, 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Could you imagine DIO doing jazz. By versatile, he's played bluesy, some acoustic stuff, shredding, conservative. I don't think he's been on full throttle the whole time. He has a great sense of what a song needs as far as energy and color. It should be a good union! If Warren Joined Winger or Bad CO., that probably would be horrible.
          1990 Jackson Professional
          1992 Dean ML
          2004 Epiphone Flying V
          2005 Epiphone Dot
          2009 Fender Stratocaster
          2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
          2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
          2006 Fender P Bass
          2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
          1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
          1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
          Custom Pedalboard
          ADA MP1
          ADA FX2
          Tascam 2488

Comment

I think Warren would be a better fit in either of those bands, but time will tell. I'm interested to hear how the Dio thing turns out
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Well, so much for THAT idea! Warren's out, Craig Goldie (GIUFFRIA) is in!

I think Warren would've fit just fine. The bluesier stuff he did was after RATT
              was already declining; he was staving off boredom. I never heard of George Lynch
              playing for Ozzy though, but I do hear a
              lot of similarities between Lynch and De Martini in their early records. It sounds like they influenced each other a lot. It's not as if the RATT solos said
              "Here I am boning hot babes" either, and
              (Thank GOD!) we were speaking of Warren,
              not Stephen Pearcy, doing this gig!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

warrens out and Goldie is back in? Where is this info avail?

Comment

From Dio's webiste:

New is old, and old is new. Our long time guitarist, Craig Goldy, will rejoin the band for summer European festival shows and for a six week tour with Iron Maiden, Dio, Motorhead in July and August. We Rock.
                  RJD

Comment

Warren is an awesome player, no question, and is a great guy to talk to personally as well. But I think Sully may be right on this one. As much as I would have liked to have seen Warren with DIO, I think Craig Goldy is definitely a better fit. After all, he wrote alot of his current playlist, including most of 'Killing the Dragon'. I will be there when they come to Cleveland this August!

HAIL TRUE METAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian:
                      But I think Sully may be right on this one.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AAAAAAAAA-men to that one, brother! i dunno kids, total oil and water, imo. if nothing else, i imagine it was more of a warren needing a gig. i don't mean that to sound as a slam, but even when warren was a speedy boy, he was still in the LA hair metal vein...speedy blues licks, etc...not anything like dio did. it makes as much sense as cc deville joining manowar.

sully

[ May 29, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

CC Deville is joining Manowar? Get outta town? You heard it here first folks!
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Uh, thanks for that visual, Sully - I'M BLIND!!!!!!.... but Warren in Dio ain't NEARly as far a stretch as CC in Manowar.
                          First difference is, Warren could pull off the Dio gig. CC in Manowar? Even IF
                          he could play the stuff the mob would drag him off the stage and trample him to death! If Warren could teach Randy's stuff to Lynch, I doubt he'd have trouble
                          with Vivian Campbell's leads. CC has trouble with HIS OWN leads from almost 20 years ago!

An ironic choice would've been John Sykes, since Aldrich is out playing in Sykes' old band, thus the DIO opening!
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

hey, no prob, lerx!! personally i thought the big blonde hair and a loincloth woulda been hilarious! and while i may be the "champion of the looked down on guitarists," i knew CC for a few years, and he's actually alot better than you'd think. shred boy? eh, not really, but he's not a COLOSSAL hack, either....

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I saw Dio with Vivian C. on the Sacred Heart tour, and Craig Goldy on the next. Goldie was so totally inferior to Vivian Campbell it was comedy. And I'm not even a Vivian fan. Warren DiMartini had no business in Dio. To me thats like Eddie Van Halen joining Accept or George Lynch joining Iron Maiden. Total clash of styles. And Warren is not "versatile", he has not demonstrated this in any way. He is good at his own west coast party metal thing,and that's it, which is fine. Warren to me was a good player, not a great one. Vivian is probably more unique of the two. I've seen Warren live as well and he was just a solid player, not dazzling. My 2 cents. I say this with the full understanding that anyone of them is 10x better than me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                                hey, no prob, lerx!! personally i thought the big blonde hair and a loincloth woulda been hilarious! and while i may be the "champion of the looked down on guitarists," i knew CC for a few years, and he's actually alot better than you'd think. shred boy? eh, not really, but he's not a COLOSSAL hack, either....

sully
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that sounded worse than I meant it to, and I don't dislike the simpler guys as much as I seem to due to me being a smarta$$! The humor of your remark wasn't lost on me either!

I'd put CC in about with Carlos Cavazo in
                                the scheme of guitarists, which they looked worse back in the days when the
                                shredosaurus roamed the earth in great herds, then they really were. I'd put both those guys up against most of the
                                downtuned 3-string power chord heroes of
                                today and be confident they'd acquit themselves well.
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X