No announcement yet.

30 shredders in one solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am with you on that Jaxsnake because practice does make perfect but I do also agree with Vector because it is true in my teaching experience that having natural ability does help. Especially if you're the one teaching the person with the natural ability. I'd rather have a kid who has a good ear over one who can read music. I can teach ANYONE how to read music but you CAN'T teach someone how to have a good ear. This is where natural ability does make a difference in my opinion.
    Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-17-2013, 07:08 PM.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I think there's a misconception concerning that theory of 10,000 repetitions of a said skill set or technique being the key to success. Mere repetition, in of itself, will not yield success. Yes, 10,000 reps of any motor skill will cement that into your muscle memory and allow you to refine it to level at or above proficient. As a martial arts instructor and a public school teacher, I'm well aware of this practice. What is being overlooked in that equation is the commitment, drive or passion to succeed. That being said, the person with the most drive, commitment and passion will naturally surpass those without. One could argue that a person that who is driven to perform something 10,000 times, is most likely a passionate and intense individual. But, factor in a natural proclivity or innate talent towards that activity or skill set, along with that drive and passion and you have a winning equation.
      Last edited by vector; 09-17-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        Great right hand and I envy his long skinny fingers.
        Hah! Another victim of sausage finger syndrome!!! I'm not alone then!

There has to be a level of natural talent that gives some an advantage. Mozart at 5 years old writing music!!! He didn't have time to practise to get good, he just was! Autistic savants who can play anything after one listen?!?!?!
        www.vvforums.com

Comment

+1 Vector. Another great post!
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

10,000 hour rule is just more Malcolm Gladwell bullshit. Yes you'll get better after 10,000 hours of practice. But natural ability also has a huge impact. As does when you start learning. I don't care how much you practice, if you start playing in your 20s you're never going to compete with a natural talent who started as a kid.

Comment

I find it a little bit misleading in all of this talk of practice that no ones mentioned practice correctly. If you teach yourself(or someone else)something sloppy or wrong, then it's actually a handicap to 'impregnate' it into your muscle memory/playing style. I've known a lot of people who've tried playing and practice incorrectly and after putting in effort get very discouraged only to give up because they feel that they haven't made any progress. Many guitarists try to speed along the process of learning by rushing their playing(not using metronomes or a drum machine)and as a result, their meter/timing is a huge issue. Sometimes un-learning bad habits can take as long as learning to do it right.

10,000 hours of someone being stubborn is still not effective, so I don't agree with the time based theory. Natural talent is huge and cannot be underestimated, but a lack of it can be(mostly) overcome by a disciplined approach. We all have different goals as players, and there's really no limit to creativity - but there are definitely limits to dexterity and finger length(real world factors that can limit someone).

And those with the G-d given drive find a way to carry on, Django, Iommi, Becker, etc...

Anyway, that's my .02$
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
              X