Ynwgie.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ynwgie.........

I saw Yngwie on Friday at a club in Orlando.

Let me set this up. Back in 2000 (?) I took my 9 year old son to see Yngwie and Dio at the House of Blues in Orlando. Thirteen years later my son spots Yngwie's name on the billboard at the "Plaza" in Orlando. Being the great kid that he is, he snags tickets and doesn't tell me. He invites me down and gives me an early father's day/birthday present. I owe him big time.

The venue was a perfect size. It had a balcony, general seating and an open standing area in front of the stage. I am not good at estimating the club size, but would guess the capacity would be about 1000 people. There were two opening bands - Martyrd and Burning Heat featuring Ethan Brosh. Couldn't comment much on Martyrd - difficult to hear, but good energy. Burning Heat was OK. Ethan Brosh was phenomenal!!!! Very clear tone and tasty. I definitely need to get his CD's. Very young with all of the Shrapnel Shredding - but again..very tasty.

We were right up against the stage barriers on the left side. I am old and have been to see Yngwie about 6 different times during his career. I brought hearing protection for both me and my son. For the first two bands, the sound levels were reasonable. When Yngwie's tech plugged in and hit some notes, the hearing protection went in - Holy Shit!!! I know this was a show and the stage was set-up with the "Wall of Malmsteen". I am waiting for my kid to send me the photos he took. There were 28 Marshall heads with the power LEDs lit - yes 28!!! And if something went wrong, there were 12 spares on the side. There was also 12 cabinets. I did see that two of the heads had chords plugged in and two cabinets were mic'ed. It did look awesome though.

Yngwie started the show in his typical fashion - lights down, fog, with him noodling behind the amps with his distinctive style and tone. He ripped it up!!! He played a wide range of tunes spanning just about every album he had in his catalog. I can't remember all of the tunes exactly, but here is a list of the ones I remember: (no apparent order)
    Far Beyond the Sun
    Black Star
    Seventh Sign
    Spellbound
    Blue
    Heaven Tonight
    Gates of Babylon (Deep Purple)
    I'll See the Light Tonight
    Rising Force
    ...and a lot more

I had a shit eatin' grin on my face from the first note he played until the last. He was spot on the entire night. As a showman he nailed it. He played non-stop for two hours and I don't think there was one bored person in the audience. For a guy pushing 47,48, 50? he had tons of energy. I think you get the idea that I would recommend checking him out if you get the chance. I know his music has gotten repetitive over the years, but he did change the world of guitar and inspire and continues to inspire generations of players.

As a final note, if you are expecting to see a "band", you will be disappointed. The band is a side show. The drummer, keyboardist, and bass player are off to the side of the stage for the entire show. There is no interaction between the members. It was definitely understood that this was an Yngwie Malmsteen show. I did not recognize the bassist or keyboardist. I think the drummer was John Macaluso - ironically the drummer for the Dio show in 2000.

All in all, a great show.

YJM is the shit....I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live, but will sooner or later....thanks for that...
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Sweet Cant wait to see the pics.

MOSHON
      DAVE
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Nice. Who's he got singing now? I saw him on the Seventh Sign tour and then the Magnum Opus tour ('94 and '95). Haven't bought one of his albums or seen him since then, but Mike Vescera had an awesome voice and the shows were killer!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The guitarist was backed by Ralph Ciavolino (bass), Nick Marino (keys), and Patrick Johanssen (drums)

Just found this - I don't know any of them. The keyboardist was singing most of the songs, with backing vocals by the bassist.

Comment

Interesting. I knew Ripper sang on the last couple albums, and I saw some youtube footage of him, but he's gone now. Don't understand why YJM can't seem to keep a lead singer.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ego. simply put, the singer is the de-facto front man. yngwie's ego can't allow that to happen....
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Is he still sponsored by Ginsters?
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Saw YJM in 1992 in a small venue in Montreal. Got one of the zillion picks he throws during the show.
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I can't remember who was with Yngwie the time I saw him. He put on a helluva show & I don't think anyone left without a pick - he was kicking them into the audience all night
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

I've only seen him live once, I believe during the Trilogy tour at the Paramount Theater in Seattle. For some reason he never seems to come to Vancouver. ( When I'm paying attention at least... )

Like his music or not, he puts on a great rock show live, all while playing difficult music.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                        ego. simply put, the singer is the de-facto front man. yngwie's ego can't allow that to happen....
                        I'm wondering if it's more a case of singer's ego, where they believe it's about them, and the guitar is just another backing instrument?

Or maybe it's because he hasn't found a singer who can write worth a fuck. All I've heard (which isn't much, I admit) was typical douche-bag singer fare - some bullshit about being pussy-whipped by a woman. Or some D&D bullshit about a sword, a dragon, or a wizard.

Or maybe it's because he prefers to keep the classical-based instrumental alive in rock. Dunno what the words to most operas are saying, it might be dragons and wizards and shit like that.

Though it would be funny if he did the "spear and magic helmet" routine just once
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I believe Yngwie did the lead vocals himself on his most recent album. The review I saw was not great.

I saw him maybe around 13 years ago at HOB in Hollywood. Good show. Jeff Scott Soto came out to sing a song.
                          Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                          www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

I saw Ingwie many times, the last one being in Vancouver actually a few years ago: it was Odium and him playing the G3 with Satch and Vai.

Comment

I'll pass on the pseudo-classical pomp...Yngwie is a ROCKSTAR, with major classical influences. Uli Roth is a classical player that plays Rock for his fans. His primary instruments are violin and piano. He doesn't touch his guitar until he does a gig.

That's what Uli told me.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X