Signature line profits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signature line profits

Obviously the answer to my question has countless variables, but in general...I wonder if artist sig models make a whopper of cash for whoever the artist may be or if it's just more of a side gig/prestige type deal. I mean I don't know many people with $5k+ for an Alex Lifeson Gibson. Or the EVH line, are people really still buying Wolfs an 5150s like wildfire?? Or the Eric Clapton strat that's friggen 5 grand...doubt they fly off the shelves. Just curious what you guys think about that.
    Let go, let Guitar

Good question. There are various factors: Popularity/Profile (eg: Eric Clapton vs Matt Tuck). Type of product endorsed. Quantity produced.

You can do more research if you buy into this Limited Custom Shop run we've been discussing here:
    There's been a thread discussion going on about doing a limited 10-piece custom shop run of Phil Collen's PC archtop from the 80s/90s; here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/123...limited-run.........

If you're interested look into it. You'll be surprised at the cost. It's a little more than the cost of a new production model PC-1.
    In order to make the run happen we need 6 firm deposits. So far we have three JCFers intrested. We need another three to make the run a reality.

Comment

Pete....... Are you a used car salesman?? Phone solicitor??
      You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Originally posted by SixstringKing View Post
        Pete....... Are you a used car salesman?? Phone solicitor??
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

GuerrillaPete- Punisher of Pastrami Peddler of CS PC. Has a nice ring don't ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksoNeal View Post
            Obviously the answer to my question has countless variables, but in general...I wonder if artist sig models make a whopper of cash for whoever the artist may be or if it's just more of a side gig/prestige type deal.
            I guess that's up to the amount of fame attached to the name/guitar
            I'm betting for instance Gus G. is now able to make a lot more money on endorsements since he signed a High Profile gig with Ozzy than he did with Firewind
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The Alex Lifeson LP is only slightly more expensive than an Axcess, especially when you consider the cost of the Piezo.

And if you're paying 5K for an Alex Lifeson LP, you are not shopping around enough. Geez, MAP on those is 3999.99; where the heck would you pay 5K for one?

I doubt many artists could retire and live on the residuals from their signature items. I could be way off, but I'd be surprised if they get more than 3 - 400.00. Probably closer to 200 - 300.

I don't even consider the PC1 as priced any higher as a sig guitar than it would be as a non-sig.

- E.
              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I've seen a few Washburn Dimebolt's on eBay that had been signed by Dimebag when the buyers bought their guitars. He used to make appearances at music stores to sell guitars and sign autographs. On one of the guitars he wrote something like, "$87 G's rippem!!" The person who created the eBay listing claimed Dimebag was excited about a check he recently received from Washburn. With all of the endorsement deals his estate has his heirs could be making more money now than he did when he was alive.

I can't imagine there are many buyers interested in a $5,000 Clapton sig or a $25,000 exact replica Frankenstrat. There's more money in small ticket items like pickups and cheap guitars.

Comment

I don't know how true it is, but I heard that Steve Vai gets about 250 thou a year from Ibanez.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                    I don't know how true it is, but I heard that Steve Vai gets about 250 thou a year from Ibanez.
                    It's possible, there are 4 different JEMs and a UV. When you're talking about shelling out $1500 for a low end JEM505 or $2900 for the JEM7VWH. Makes me wonder what Edward makes for both his Wolfgang guitar and 5150III amp line through Fender.

Comment

I don't know how these things work, but perhaps income from an endorsement deal is separate from signature model sales income? I could easily see Vai making 6 figures on endorsing the company and essentially being their face. In fact, when I think Ibanez, I think Steve Vai before I think about their guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                        I don't know how these things work, but perhaps income from an endorsement deal is separate from signature model sales income? I could easily see Vai making 6 figures on endorsing the company and essentially being their face. In fact, when I think Ibanez, I think Steve Vai before I think about their guitars.
                        True enough. You get a kid who can't afford a JEM but still wants an Ibanez because that's the brand Steve plays. He may buy a lower end guitar but at the end of the day he still bought your product and not someone elses.

Comment

Don't forget he also does a bajillion photo shoots for them...... So that 250k may have more than per unit percentage in it.

Comment

Overall, I'd guess there are very few musical instrument endorsements that are all that lucrative for the artists. As far as how it affects instrument pricing: it would vary in each situation and there are probably nondisclosure clauses in the contracts, so we're likely to never know for sure.

Comment

I really think that artists are offered % of their sig guitars sold OR $XXXXXX.xx per X years for a signature contract (including photoshoots, show and clinic attendence)
                              Though I'm guessing only the Big names that will sell a lot of axes get offered the contract and very big names still take a % of every sold guitar

then again, guys like Clapton probably chose to only get X%/$XXX(X?).xx from every guitar sold
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X